• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Placed Cybertruck order after Lightning reservation

OP
OP
audiomikej

audiomikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 RAM 1500, MB W221, C5 Camaro, Prius V, 300C
Occupation
Manufacturing Engineer
As an early Lightning reservation holder this is what I'm thinking.
Model year 2022 Lightning will be first edition models @ $90k, order window opening up late 2021. This will be approximately 7-8k unit volume because of startup and battery ramp up capacity constraints. Reference Bronco and Mach-E as comparables. This puts me still ordering late 2021 for my Lariat. But not taking delivery until 2023 because of battery ramp up capacity constraints. I may or may not be able to order the Lariat I want if the pricing doesn't make sense.
Maybe a year from now will know more about the Cybertruck. Thinking Tesla will be able to produce them at 40-50k a year starting in late 2022 early 2023.
Tesla has about a 8-year lead on Ford in EV battery vehicle production. The cybertruck will have a better battery and true six passenger seating. Thinking it will be priced lower than the Lightning because Tesla has better vertical integration and lower legacy costs. Ford suffers from antiquated processes, huge debt service, dealers, unions. In-house battery production and charging infrastructure is a huge lead for Tesla. Ford has a superior dealer network and after sales service, but Tesla is catching up.
Now if Tesla can produce cyber trucks at 50k a year I won't be getting mine until my Lightning is 3-4 years old and ready for something new.
Sponsored

Last edited:

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
You say they don't compete with each other, but then you say have a reservation for each. Are you planning to have two trucks? Right now all EV trucks are competing for my dollar (Tesla, Ford, Rivian). I have reservations with each. My next vehicle will be an electric truck and though there are tradeoffs with each manufacturer, they all fit my needs.
The CT was announced before the Lightning as you now, and at the time the F150 had the oldest interior in the world which is why I never purchased an ICE version. After sitting and driving a 2021 F150, I ordered an XLT which hopefully I can pick up this week, which will then be traded in for the Lightning whenever it arrives.

The CT reservation is still there just in case I still want that toy Truck to take off-roading. The Lightning will replace the family vehicle along with my Model 3. I mean you really have to go drive an ICE F150 to see how nice it is to be in, even with cloth seats.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
RIght. They are building prototype cells in CA and building factories to mass produce cells In Austin and Berlin. Mass production of cells in 12-18 months per Musk. Truck production will follow.
https://insideevs.com/news/503707/tesla-volume-production-4680-cells/
That article also says they will get 4680s from other suppliers.

And it wouldn't be the first time they've been conservative on timeframe to avoid the Osborne Effect on their existing vehicles. It also wouldn't be the first time that they were late.

Point is, saying that the Cybertruck is 2-3 years away or similar claims are just guesses with evidence for and against, so it should be worded as such... not as if they're facts.

Furthermore, even if 4680 production isn't fully ramped, they may just be in a similar boat to Ford : Supply constrained and only able to build tens of thousands instead of hundreds of thousands of trucks.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Ford has a superior dealer network and after sales service, but Tesla is catching up.
You had me until that sentence. Tesla's service is horrible. The people you do get to talk to are often very nice and helpful, but you can never talk to them. The only way to reach Tesla is to set up a service appointment in the app on your phone, and then in a day or two someone will get back with you about your issue. Even ordering parts like a is an exercise in futility. They have not expanded their service centers and other support staff to account for the higher volume 3 and Y vehicles.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The CT was announced before the Lightning as you now, and at the time the F150 had the oldest interior in the world which is why I never purchased an ICE version. After sitting and driving a 2021 F150, I ordered an XLT which hopefully I can pick up this week, which will then be traded in for the Lightning whenever it arrives.

The CT reservation is still there just in case I still want that toy Truck to take off-roading. The Lightning will replace the family vehicle along with my Model 3. I mean you really have to go drive an ICE F150 to see how nice it is to be in, even with cloth seats.
No doubt the interior of the F150 is a selling point, as is the Rivian interior. I do not like Tesla's minimalist interiors as seen on the 3, Y and CT prototypes,, though I do like the S. I like Tesla's battery capacity, charging infrastructure, API access, and steel exterior, but I like the style, performance, and slightly smaller size of the Rivian. I like the (hopefully) predictable F150 as a capable workhorse and the ability for me to fix most parts of it myself when it breaks and take it to a dealer for service while it is under warranty. There really isn't a lot of flash with the Ford and that's actually a positive.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

This just makes me even more excited. Family and I love the interior of my 2016 XLT and it is one of, if not the, most comfortable cruiser and family road trip vehicle we have ever had. If the new ones are a significant upgrade that is just to the good!

Note: From a driver's perspective, I prefer my GT350 - but comfort is a very very small part of that :)

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
You had me until that sentence. Tesla's service is horrible. The people you do get to talk to are often very nice and helpful, but you can never talk to them. The only way to reach Tesla is to set up a service appointment in the app on your phone, and then in a day or two someone will get back with you about your issue. Even ordering parts like a is an exercise in futility. They have not expanded their service centers and other support staff to account for the higher volume 3 and Y vehicles.
Not true anymore they hired many new techs and mobile services 2-3 day wait time is been on tesla service to arrive at my home. 3 to 4 week wait times for Ford appointment with 2 month wait on parts on a new powerboost 80k truck. No loaner cars available at ford dealer they need to sell some and no Uber credits like tesla does when out of loaners. Ford experience has been lousy shit! Geting worse over the years Tesla! Tesla was terrible in the past on wait times. But no longer the case it's only going to get better as they expand.

newF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E GT
As an early Lightning reservation holder this is what I'm thinking.
Model year 2022 Lightning will be first edition models @ $90k, order window opening up late 2021. This will be approximately 7-8k unit volume because of startup and battery ramp up capacity constraints. Reference Bronco and Mach-E as comparables. This puts me still ordering late 2021 for my Lariat. But not taking delivery until 2023 because of battery ramp up capacity constraints. I may or may not be able to order the Lariat I want if the pricing doesn't make sense.
Maybe a year from now will know more about the Cybertruck. Thinking Tesla will be able to produce them at 40-50k a year starting in late 2022 early 2023.
Tesla has about a 8-year lead on Ford in EV battery vehicle production. The cybertruck will have a better battery and true six passenger seating. Thinking it will be priced lower than the Lightning because Tesla has better vertical integration and lower legacy costs. Ford suffers from antiquated processes, huge debt service, dealers, unions. In-house battery production and charging infrastructure is a huge lead for Tesla. Ford has a superior dealer network and after sales service, but Tesla is catching up.
Now if Tesla can produce cyber trucks at 50k a year I won't be getting mine until my Lightning is 3-4 years old and ready I'm for something new.
The price range is $40k for the base to $90k for the Platinum so not every model is $90k.
The first year production of the Mustang Mach E is around 50k, as a comparable, why are you thinking the first year production of the Lightning to be so much lower. Yes, Ford has said they are limiting the production volume for the vehicle but I doubt it would be so low for such a popular vehicle.
A Lariat should be below $90k as it's a trim below Platinum.
Sure Tesla has an 8 year lead in EV production, but as we've seen from "production hell" there is still a learning curve for Tesla. Have you not seen a modern Ford manufacturing plant, I wouldn't call it antiquated. I have a Mustang Mach E and I would say it's a very well built vehicle, the software definitely needs work but it can be updated OTA. Software that can be updated is infinitely better than if a vehicle needs to be serviced for a manufacturing defect.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
That article also says they will get 4680s from other suppliers.
I'm not as worried about producing enough 4680's as I am about 'no modules needed' in a new design. This makes any maintenance on the battery a nightmare.

Sponsored

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
While the specs of the Cybertruck are too good to be true, there is a good chance they will build a very competitive truck that could compete with the Lightning. I am not in any hurry to buy but I don't want to sit on the sidelines forever waiting in perpetuity for the next great thing.
I'd guess the Cybertruck will come pretty close to the specs. The problem is that those currently buying pickups will not want to be seen in it (shades of Dukakis and the tank) so it will be up to Ford and GM to provide them with an EV they can live with.

spectre446

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
The Cybertruck and Lightning do not compete with each other. One is a truck that is going to work for the masses, the other is a billionaires childhood fantasy.

With Tesla cutting radar from their cars, lumbar support and who knows what else, I no longer trust them to produce cars that will be comfortable and safe.

I have a CT and Lightning on reservation also.
They cut radar from the cars because its unnecessary, the camera system is so advanced for autopilot driving that radar is unneeded. And lumbar support was removed from the passenger side, driver seat still has it. There's always a lot of FUD surrounding Tesla, don't buy into all of it

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
They cut radar from the cars because its unnecessary, the camera system is so advanced for autopilot driving that radar is unneeded. And lumbar support was removed from the passenger side, driver seat still has it. There's always a lot of FUD surrounding Tesla, don't buy into all of it
If radar isn’t needed then why is it still in the Model S and X? Also, as a Model 3 owner there have been plenty of times I have gotten the “Autosteer not available” due to some obstruction on the cameras.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
The radar was also probably a supply issue. Same with the lumbar.

I think Tesla will eventually make vision-only work, but I think supply issues pushed the radar removal date forward.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not true anymore they hired many new techs and mobile services 2-3 day wait time is been on tesla service to arrive at my home. 3 to 4 week wait times for Ford appointment with 2 month wait on parts on a new powerboost 80k truck. No loaner cars available at ford dealer they need to sell some and no Uber credits like tesla does when out of loaners. Ford experience has been lousy shit! Geting worse over the years Tesla! Tesla was terrible in the past on wait times. But no longer the case it's only going to get better as they expand.
The actual service itself has not been a problem for me, it is the interaction (or lack thereof) with customer service. There is always a lag of a day or two before you receive a response via the app, and it is the ONLY way to initiate and sometimes maintain a conversation.

Sometimes turnaround time for parts is good, sometimes it is weeks. My personal experience is that once you do get an appointment scheduled, it is within a reasonable amount of time if parts are available, but that is not a universal experience around the country. My MCU2 install was pushed back a few weeks, for example. Visit a Tesla forum and see what people say about the service. Loaners are also unicorns. I was lucky to have one for one of my service appointments, but the other 3 times I was without.

It is too bad that Ford may also have service issues. At least you can call or walk into a dealership and pick up a part if they have one available. What parts were not available for your truck that extended its service visit?
Sponsored