Sponsored

Pine pitch on paint - how to remove?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suv
I used turtle wax tar remover so the stickiness is gone but I can still see where it was, looks like it affected the clear coat anybody see this? Any ideas or product to deal with this?
Sponsored

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
That happened to me many years ago in NC where there’s pine trees everywhere. Once I got the pine sap off I believe I polished and waxed it. That was a real mess. I haven’t parked near a pine tree since.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Not sure how bad it is, but maybe clay bar the area?

Clay bar is supposed to remove all the containments down to the base clear coat so it should help with getting rid of the remaining residue. Be sure to reapply wax or your sealant of choice afterwards so the paint isn’t bare.

BaySide1

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Super Crew 5.5Ft Bed
Occupation
Medical Equipment Repair
I have always used rubbing alcohol or grain alcohol

Slappy McGee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I have always used rubbing alcohol or grain alcohol
One of the positives from COVID is that my wife told me that hand sanitizer is magical against pine sap. I’ve put my hand on a pine a few times and no soap gets it off, but hand San is magical. I think that stuff is mostly alcohol so trying rubbing alcohol might just do the trick.

Sponsored

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
That happened to me many years ago in NC where there’s pine trees everywhere. Once I got the pine sap off I believe I polished and waxed it. That was a real mess. I haven’t parked near a pine tree since.
I’ve never had it happen in NC, but did in Florida. It was brutal to remove, but I don’t remember how I did.

Don

First Name
Don Murray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
One of the positives from COVID is that my wife told me that hand sanitizer is magical against pine sap. I’ve put my hand on a pine a few times and no soap gets it off, but hand San is magical. I think that stuff is mostly alcohol so trying rubbing alcohol might just do the trick.
This is true. We went camping in North Georgia this past spring and when we came out of the mountains, there were 6 sap globs on the van. We noticed it fueling up and all we had was hand sanitizer and it took care of it perfectly. We did follow up with a little soapy water and rinse, but the sanitizer did the work.

JayceeP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
If it looks like a water spot, not sure what you could do except for polish. If there is still goo/sap on the paint, I would try a tar & bug remover in addition to a clay bar.

BaySide1

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Super Crew 5.5Ft Bed
Occupation
Medical Equipment Repair
If it is dried on good, wet a cloth with alcohol and let it sit on the spot for a bit to help loosen it up

Sponsored

Don

First Name
Don Murray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
Naptha will remove pine tar, road tar/oil and will not harm the finish. Great for getting those sticky labels off of plastic without damage to the plastic. NAPA, Walmart, Home Depot,,,, they all carry it in the paint section.

wilmaj32

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
08 GT500, 21 Powerboost Lariat , 12 Expedition
Occupation
Retired
WD-40
Sponsored