Pickup pick up road trip

ARegularJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2 Order: 22 Lariat 500A/3.5 EB/FX4/Max Tow/+
Flying into IA to pick up my Pickup soon and wondering what others have equipped themselves with for the same journey to one coast or the other. We are, of course, taking clothes and a ice chest, but what have others brought with for a journey that will involve no campgrounds or tents? I can fill the ice chest with useful stuff I guess, like snacks and first aid, but since it’s spanking new, I would not think tools would be needed. Thoughts? Experiences? I wish I wouldas?
Sponsored

Last edited:

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
2nd credit card for gas just in case, small 1st aid kit, pair of coveralls just in case you got to climb under or do a tire change on the road and roadside cant get to you fast enough.
some sort of personal protection device.
stay in good hotels,
tums, baby wipes, napkins, a few shop rags, a qt of oil. cell phone charger and cord. for me the wireless cahrger makes my phone waaay to hot so i use a card and the 12v socket
hopefully your not rushed and take the time to enjoy the ride back.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
If your state. like mine, requires the seller's signature on a form for title application, be sure to take that form with you (which Granger's finance person gladly signed on behalf of the dealership, making the registration in TX a simple process with no hiccups).

In TX the form can be downloaded from the DOT website.

I 'flew light' via Southwest Air with only a small carry-on and laptop, clothes for the planned 3-day / 900 mile return drive, phone / laptop charger cord, and nothing else. No worries, had a great trip enjoying my new Lariat.

I did forget to take the USB flash drive with my preferred FLAC files music library of 400 albums / 7000 songs. I kicked myself for that oversight, especially after plugging it in when home and finding how quick and easy the eyes-on-the-road voice-command works for requesting music by artist / album / or song.

Congrats on your impending delivery and congrats on choosing Granger Ford - a totally superb buying experience from start to finish IMO.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
I needed way less than I thought I would. I'm a lifelong performance-driving automotive hobbyist, so I am not ignorant of what can happen on the road, but I figured that my AAA and Ford's Roadside assistance would see me though anything serious.

Carry-on of clothes and personal bag. Only thing specific to the trip back was USB-C cord. I decided that if I really needed something, I would buy it on the way. Ended up not needing anything but a pack of Wet-Ones, and some snacks from Target/Wal-Mart. Meals would all be from local/regional places.

Just had a thought where I'd love to see just a cooler insert for the center console. Some thing far less permanent (and pricey) as the Dometic fridge. Guess I'll go see if that's a thing.

The truck was so easy to drive, Granger to CA ended up just being 3 10-hour days where I just needed to put gas in. Did you get Assist, or did you order and it did end up getting deleted? Really, the truck drove itself back. Ended every day fresh as a daisy, which was mind blowing.

The one thing I didn't really get at first was adjusting the seat, and how to raise the front leg bolster without raising the whole seat on the Lariat. If you lift up the very front of the switch, where there is an angle, it raises just the leg support.

Des Moines was really pretty. Which way are you heading out of Iowa? N, S, E, or W?

OP
OP

ARegularJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I needed way less than I thought I would. I'm a lifelong performance-driving automotive hobbyist, so I am not ignorant of what can happen on the road, but I figured that my AAA and Ford's Roadside assistance would see me though anything serious.

Carry-on of clothes and personal bag. Only thing specific to the trip back was USB-C cord. I decided that if I really needed something, I would buy it on the way. Ended up not needing anything but a pack of Wet-Ones, and some snacks from Target/Wal-Mart. Meals would all be from local/regional places.

Just had a thought where I'd love to see just a cooler insert for the center console. Some thing far less permanent (and pricey) as the Dometic fridge. Guess I'll go see if that's a thing.

The truck was so easy to drive, Granger to CA ended up just being 3 10-hour days where I just needed to put gas in. Did you get Assist, or did you order and it did end up getting deleted? Really, the truck drove itself back. Ended every day fresh as a daisy, which was mind blowing.

The one thing I didn't really get at first was adjusting the seat, and how to raise the front leg bolster without raising the whole seat on the Lariat. If you lift up the very front of the switch, where there is an angle, it raises just the leg support.

Des Moines was really pretty. Which way are you heading out of Iowa? N, S, E, or W?
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, Assist is still on board. Lost Satellite stuff though... Sirius and Connected Nav. Not sure if this means no shark fin or something else. I am headed across the northern states from IA to WA. Taking about seven days for my lady and I to do that stopping at many places, including my must do, Engels Coach Shop in MN.

Sponsored

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
I gotta say that I love this question ... and, the answers so far.

Some of that, I think I'd just make a list and buy after the flight.

OP
OP

ARegularJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I gotta say that I love this question ... and, the answers so far.

Some of that, I think I'd just make a list and buy after the flight.
LOL, Well given I want to leave IA within a day of arrival to head west, I doubt I will be able to pick up a 'personal protection device' in such a short time. I have most of what has been suggested thus far and free bags on my Airline so whatever I can fit into my ice chest will be accommodated. Maybe I will be like so many on the airplanes I see during my business travels and wear my coveralls like a onesie. :)

smyph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Stuff and thing
I had a 700 mile drive. I flew into Iowa in the morning and was on the road by early afternoon. I had a change of clothes and my toothbrush. Starbucks, a gas station and a hotel were the only stops I needed.

OP
OP

ARegularJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well, there is a woman along on my trip so .....

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
Well, there is a woman along on my trip so .....
= 3 suitcases with 8 pair of shoes, 5 pairs of pants, 12 undies, 12 bras, 12 shirts, 20 pr of socks, a full set of encyclopedias, rain coat, heavy coat, light coat, formal dress and one large makeup suitcase. yep you will be set and have weight in the rear to soften the ride

OP
OP

ARegularJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
= 3 suitcases with 8 pair of shoes, 5 pairs of pants, 12 undies, 12 bras, 12 shirts, 20 pr of socks, a full set of encyclopedias, rain coat, heavy coat, light coat, formal dress and one large makeup suitcase. yep you will be set and have weight in the rear to soften the ride
Well, in truth, the supercab seats folded away nicely enough to stack the baggage strategically enough to be able to see out the rear wind between the headrests.... but not much else. ;-)
Sponsored