First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, 2021 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4 3.5l EB
Occupation
Retired
Where did you find the curb weigh info? I could find that in any of the 2021 docs that I've read.
Sponsored

OP
OP

docprego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia
Where did you find the curb weigh info? I could find that in any of the 2021 docs that I've read.
Ford.com
TRUCKS&VANS link
2021 F150
Explore 2021 F-150
Model & Specs
Choose a trim
Specifications tab all the way at the bottom

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB
Moonroof penalty is at least 64 lbs according to the previous generation F-150 materials which list option weights. This does not account for other structural enhancements which the moonroof may require above that 64 lbs.

FX4 penalty comes from the heavy skid plates that are included in the package, I estimated this around 50-70lbs.

Quad vs Crew cab can be determined from Ford's published specifications of curb weights. For example the SuperCab 4x2 version with the 5.0L V8 and 6.5 bed has a curb weight of 4554lbs. The same configuration in SuperCrew has a curb weight of 4712lbs. Simple math tells us that the SuperCrew has a 158LB payload penalty over the SuperCab.

Combining those 3 above gets the total penalty to easily in the 200-250lb range and likely at the higher end. I welcome any refinements or corrections to this logic.
I'd love the FX4 impact to be 64 lbs - as I am dropping it to go with plain 4x4. However, the numbers that I saw (don't have the reference handy) had its weight down at 28 lbs.

The SCrew / SCab one I had missed. Unfortunately, SCab isn't an option for PB and I have not considered it recently. However, the simple curb weight difference will not translate to payload difference. For 2021, it depends upon the engine. In models other than PB, the payload seems to go up when moving from 5.5 to 6.5 while the cub weight obviously goes up. In PB, the payload reduces by 20# when moving from 5.5 to 6.5 when the curb weight obviously increases by considerably more.

My purpose is not to be argumentative. Just pointing out my understanding as I too am keenly watching the payload on the PB options. For that, the best idea I can come up with it (for higher trim) is KR - base (to keep to 18" wheels and avoid power running board for higher payload). The option I miss most are the Active Motion seats.

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
I'd love the FX4 impact to be 64 lbs - as I am dropping it to go with plain 4x4. However, the numbers that I saw (don't have the reference handy) had its weight down at 28 lbs.

The SCrew / SCab one I had missed. Unfortunately, SCab isn't an option for PB and I have not considered it recently. However, the simple curb weight difference will not translate to payload difference. For 2021, it depends upon the engine. In models other than PB, the payload seems to go up when moving from 5.5 to 6.5 while the cub weight obviously goes up. In PB, the payload reduces by 20# when moving from 5.5 to 6.5 when the curb weight obviously increases by considerably more.

My purpose is not to be argumentative. Just pointing out my understanding as I too am keenly watching the payload on the PB options. For that, the best idea I can come up with it (for higher trim) is KR - base (to keep to 18" wheels and avoid power running board for higher payload). The option I miss most are the Active Motion seats.
The PB drop from 5.5 -> 6.5 appears to be around 50# not 20#. I think the 6.5 trucks are around 45 pounds heavier but get an extra 100 pounds of GVWR. Most of the PB trucks I have seen seem to make me thing the overall payload penalty for the PB is something like 125-150# probably depending on if you get the 7.2 or not. I.E. a loaded up EB plat is going to have somewhere around 1450 payload and a loaded up PB plat is going to be around 1300.

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I think I remember the FX4 skid plates being 28#, but overall FX4 penalty includes the "free" vinyl mats that will weigh something but obviously that can be tossed in the garbage. So get the mat weight and that should help calculate vs any FX4 yellow stickers.

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Honest question, how far do you guys push these beyond the payload rating? I have had a few thousand pounds in the be of my 2011, and no issues other than squatty handling. I was just going down the street for dirt, but in all reality, is putting a few loads of mulch in the bed that are over 1300# going to do damage? I would assume there is potentially liability involved with over-weighing the truck if you got in an accident.

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
Honest question, how far do you guys push these beyond the payload rating? I have had a few thousand pounds in the be of my 2011, and no issues other than squatty handling. I was just going down the street for dirt, but in all reality, is putting a few loads of mulch in the bed that are over 1300# going to do damage? I would assume there is potentially liability involved with over-weighing the truck if you got in an accident.
You can burn the rear axle or if you are in an accident you can be held at fault because you overloaded the truck. Some states also will stop and weight you and issue a fine. There have been a few cases of people involved in accidents seriously overloading the vehicle(not just 100 pounds more like 1000) being held negligent. I personally know of 2 people who burnt rear axles that ford would not warranty because they could tell they had been overloaded.

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
You can burn the rear axle or if you are in an accident you can be held at fault because you overloaded the truck. Some states also will stop and weight you and issue a fine. There have been a few cases of people involved in accidents seriously overloading the vehicle(not just 100 pounds more like 1000) being held negligent. I personally know of 2 people who burnt rear axles that ford would not warranty because they could tell they had been overloaded.
This makes sense. I'm talking once a year, putting 400# over the sticker for three miles to move some dirt for my garden.

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The PB drop from 5.5 -> 6.5 appears to be around 50# not 20#. I think the 6.5 trucks are around 45 pounds heavier but get an extra 100 pounds of GVWR. Most of the PB trucks I have seen seem to make me thing the overall payload penalty for the PB is something like 125-150# probably depending on if you get the 7.2 or not. I.E. a loaded up EB plat is going to have somewhere around 1450 payload and a loaded up PB plat is going to be around 1300.
I am not sure if that is correct. Please take a look at page 7 of the following -
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/attachments/2021-f-150-technical-specs-pdf.1771/

PB - 4x2 - 145" payload = 2090; 157" payload = 2120
PB - 4x4 - 145" payload = 1830; 157" payload = 1810

The different is 30# in the first and 20# in the second. I assume the numbers are for comparable (no option) trucks. The payload number already accounts for the vehicle weight.

Please let me know if I am making a mistake somewhere.

Agree with your point on the loaded up PB plat around 1300#. That's what I am thinking. Dropping the moonroof, spray liner, tonneau etc. might make it around 1350# but not much more. Considering KR PB / Base 601 - loaded with options (7.2kW, max tow, work surface, interior storage, power tailgate, max recline seats), etc. and thinking that might get me something between 1400-1500# payload. The thinking is that it drops to 18" wheels, fixed running boards.

The only hesitation is about active motion (massage) seats that my back would really like! One option I am unsure about is 6' extended running boards. Don't know how much weight they add and if they are desirable.

Sponsored

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
I am not sure if that is correct. Please take a look at page 7 of the following -
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/attachments/2021-f-150-technical-specs-pdf.1771/

PB - 4x2 - 145" payload = 2090; 157" payload = 2120
PB - 4x4 - 145" payload = 1830; 157" payload = 1810

The different is 30# in the first and 20# in the second. I assume the numbers are for comparable (no option) trucks. The payload number already accounts for the vehicle weight.

Please let me know if I am making a mistake somewhere.

Agree with your point on the loaded up PB plat around 1300#. That's what I am thinking. Dropping the moonroof, spray liner, tonneau etc. might make it around 1350# but not much more. Considering KR PB / Base 601 - loaded with options (7.2kW, max tow, work surface, interior storage, power tailgate, max recline seats), etc. and thinking that might get me something between 1400-1500# payload. The thinking is that it drops to 18" wheels, fixed running boards.

The only hesitation is about active motion (massage) seats that my back would really like! One option I am unsure about is 6' extended running boards. Don't know how much weight they add and if they are desirable.
Dropping the spray in liner and moonroof will get you into the low 1400s. The 20" wheels do add weight as well. Fixed running boards won't make a huge difference, maybe 17-20lbs less vs power deployable. The other big item is the 45lbs+ that comes from the power lift gate.

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If I could get into my desired config on Plat - 701, PB, 4x4, 157", Max tow, 7.2kW gen - with low 1400s, I'd much prefer that compared to KR/base + options. That's the open question I still have and hope to answer.

Power tailgate is important to me as the 5th wheel hitch will require me to lower the tailgate to get the hitch attachment into the box and close it once that's been done. With power tailgate, one person can do it easily while positioning the truck to hitch or after unhitching. Otherwise it becomes a bigger hassle where 2 people are much better. So, its utility is higher for me than, say, the flat work surface.

Chris McN

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, 2021 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4 3.5l EB
Occupation
Retired
Dropping the spray in liner and moonroof will get you into the low 1400s. The 20" wheels do add weight as well. Fixed running boards won't make a huge difference, maybe 17-20lbs less vs power deployable. The other big item is the 45lbs+ that comes from the power lift gate.
Wow! 45lbs+ for the power tailgate? That's more than I would have thought but I guess it needs a pretty hefty motor. Is that a well-informed estimate or did you read it somewhere?

I really just wanted the step but you can't get that by itself. Might be better to keep a step-stool in the bed and claw back the payload.

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
Wow! 45lbs+ for the power tailgate? That's more than I would have thought but I guess it needs a pretty hefty motor. Is that a well-informed estimate or did you read it somewhere?

I really just wanted the step but you can't get that by itself. Might be better to keep a step-stool in the bed and claw back the payload.
It’s because they include the step. The step is steel and has to hold a fat ass so it’s heavy. Go lift the tailgate in a truck that doesn’t have the step and you will be amazed how light it is.

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX

Hey another person from Rochester!

It is more of a guesstimate. The tailgate step adds 40lbs, according to older documentation. So the 5lbs+ was just a number I pulled out of the air to account for the motors that are new to the tailgate. I would like to know if it can closely w/ a cover on it, else the autoclose feature will be a moot point for me.
Sponsored