Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
Ford F-150 Photo: Local dealer impact of chip shortage PXL_20210527_152044086

Luther Ford in Fargo currently has six F-150s.

SIX.

When I picked mine up at the end of March they had over sixty on the lot, and over eighty listed on their website.

As I am sitting here typing this someone just took one of the F-150s for a test drive, and someone else just took one of the last two remaining Rangers they had.

This is getting ugly, even in a small city in the middle of nowhere.

I'm just curious how everyone else's dealers are looking. I know it's bad, but is it getting this bad everywhere? How do they compare?
Sponsored

cghall77

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
When I started cruising the lots in February, there were zero vehicles on the used lots and new were full. Here in my area ??, vehicles are typically shipped south of the board for better value. Now days the new car lots are empty and used lots have a lot more than they did a few months back. The few '21 f150s I have found on lots are either 5.0 engine stock orders or green window stickers where folks have walked away.

Mountaineer

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'03 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Environmental
The dealer I'm working with here had 4 on the lot when I asked last week and would normally maintain 50. I guess I at least know they agree when I complain about how long my order has been sitting in Dearborn.

upslash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Honda Civic 290k miles
When I checked in late April, my local Ford dealership had ONE F150 in stock. It had just been delivered, and the sales guy was telling me it would probably be gone by the end of the day. When I drove by a day later, I didn't see that truck in the lot.

RollTideFan

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Fiesta
Occupation
Supervisor
I ordered my truck last week 5/20. They had about 7 F-150s and 5 Rangers. 3 of the F-150s were ones they customized and marked up crazy the others were all super crew. So I ordered a RCSB and hope to see it before the end of the year

Sponsored

Geo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150, 4x4, Lariat 501A pk. 5.0 V-8, Max Tow.
It's just as crazy here in Oregon. I live in a small town about 100 miles from Portland [ thank the Lord for that]. After I picked up my new F-150 in March, I asked the dealer to value my trade a 2016 Silverado 1500 with 30 k miles. He said around 32.5 K. So I booked it out on NADA, retail was 37 K. I thought what the heck I'll put it on Craigslist. Started the ad on Saturday, got a few calls one guy coming on Wednesday. Sunday night I get a tex, from a local guy he wants to look at it on Monday I said OK. Monday he sends me a tex and says he is a local car dealer, Dodge, Jeep and Toyota four blocks from where I bought my F-150. He says if you want to sell your truck bring it here or I will come there, and give you a check for 37 k. My head was swimming, I could not get there fast enough. As it turned out I new some of the employees that worked there. They said they can't get new or used vehicles' everything was selling as fast as it gets in. They listed my truck for 42 K, it was gone in 3 weeks. The real crazy thing is I had the truck for 4 1/2 years and only paid 37 k for it. No B.S. that just don't happen in pre Covid times.

Diceman

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, Rapid Red, 6.5 bed
Occupation
Retired US Navy, retired manufacturing
3 dealers within 30 miles of me, online that show they have 8-11 but that's in route they have none or a couple. My dealers website shows 11 and when my was delivered on the 25th there was only one but I was looking for mine which was in the back waiting to go in the shop.......truck driver had a blowout and tread hit my Platinum. Have to wait at least another week.

Mixxfixx

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Coming who knows when 202? F150 screw Lariat
Occupation
Professor
Around the GTA I checked like 5 or so dealers. No one has any. But it’s not just f150s. No mustangs. Not really much of anything

JayceeP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Let that be a lesson to you guys who are getting pissed off about the unconscionable wait.

Your 2021 F150 is going to GAIN value the minute you finally drive it off the lot.

The “new normal”...
Just like Real Estate- to the moon!

Sponsored

stangsandatruck

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
Software Engineer
The 5 closest dealerships to me - They have a total of 5 F150s, 3 of the 5 are XLs. I'd say total new vehicles at all dealerships totals less than 40 - and that's Ford and Lincolns. I know the dealer that I use is down to 3 new cars total, when normally they have 10-15 F150s alone.

It's a small family dealership and they are doing OK with used cars, but I can see it is having an effect on people coming into the dealership to look at new, and end up with a pre-owned. They sold their last new F150 a few weeks ago. When I ordered there were 4 existing orders on F150s as well, but even most of those are delayed because of missing modules.

RollTideFan

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Fiesta
Occupation
Supervisor
You are right on point! Nobody and I mean nobody should ever buy any new vehicle from an investment point of view. People also should never order a vehicle that has a current lease and plans for a new vehicle to arrive when the lease ends on the vehicle they currently have even in the best of markets delays can and will happen. I just placed an order on 5/20 knowing that I don't even need the truck but could use one and with the production being pushed to September I was guaranteed an 21 model when I ordered. These are forums and these places tend to bring a lot of the bad out but I wish everyone the best of luck that have been waiting for so long and to the recent purchasers in getting their new trucks!

bulger81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
All the trucks xlt and above disappeared last week. 10 gone in one week at a local dealership.
Sponsored