First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 f-150 powerboost, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
Used ProPower for fully electric camping for a few days: electric induction cooktops, a mini-fridge, as well as blenders etc. One induction cooktop is 240v 3.5kw - boils water crazy fast, got the cast iron red hot. Other is 120v 1.8kw. Both available on Amazon. 50ft extension reel to provide power to the tent.

Used a 500wh battery that I charged during the day so I could power the fridge overnight without leaving the engine on. It used about 0.2kwh overnight.

Also got the Waterport with pressurised water for cleaning up.

Ford F-150 [Photo] Camping with induction cooktops and mini-fridge using ProPower 1651703676230
Sponsored

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I also use the induction cooker that you have on the right. Gets things heated fast. But if I can get a camp fire going in the area, I'll use that for my heat source for cooking.

I also use an electric water kettle that quickly boils water for that morning coffee/tea brewing/steeping.

DANJENS

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford e350, Ford Fusion
Used ProPower for fully electric camping for a few days: electric induction cooktops, a mini-fridge, as well as blenders etc. One induction cooktop is 240v 3.5kw - boils water crazy fast, got the cast iron red hot. Other is 120v 1.8kw. Both available on Amazon. 50ft extension reel to provide power to the tent.

Used a 500wh battery that I charged during the day so I could power the fridge overnight without leaving the engine on. It used about 0.2kwh overnight.

Also got the Waterport with pressurised water for cleaning up.

1651703676230.png
Where is the microwave? :ROFLMAO:

I think the induction cook top is perfect for controlling the temperature for a béarnaise sauce. I can finally complete the ultimate in Glamping and make eggs benedict.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-e Select AWD
Occupation
Software Developer
So cool! I camp The Adirondacks every fall.

Does the truck need to run the whole time?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The Powerboost in its element.
My favorite posts these days.

As for the fella asking whether the engine needs to be running....... I am a full-time RV'r. When I don't have shore power and I'm running off the trucks generator, the amount of time the motor actually runs is about 1-1.5 minutes. How often it needs to run depends on the draw I have on the truck. If I am not running the air conditioner, or cooking (microwave or Air fryer oven), the load is extremely low and I go about 20 minutes between engine idle events. So 3 events per hour.
Obviously an air conditioner is a substantial draw and will increase the frequency of the engine starting, but the length of time the engine runs seems to be consistent and makes sense because the battery management system keeps the battery charge state in the same narrow range regardless of draw.

I don't fret though. That's a generator with a 30 gallon tank. I've been toting and using generators for years. I still pinch myself at the remarkable reduction in effort and upkeep to keep electricity at hand.

Sponsored

OP
OP
petemill

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
So cool! I camp The Adirondacks every fall.

Does the truck need to run the whole time?
Not at all. The fridge only uses 60W for 1 minute every few minutes, depending on temperature. Of course the engine comes on more often when I'm cooking, and especially if I put the 240v cooktop on full power, but it's manageable. And if I need to be quiet then I run off the battery. And in the future I'll run from the Lightning and leave the battery at home!

smyph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Stuff and thing
I think induction is a great idea for camping with a pro power truck. Takes up same space as a camp stove. I also live in Colorado and respect the danger of any fire in the back country.

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0L 302A Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired US Navy; currently DND
SUPER cool! And a great reminder on why the PB (despite its price penalty) remains on my 'dream sheet', lol! I like the idea of having the second battery that charges during the day and powers everything during the night, very cool idea.

Certainly, propane/fires make for 'classic' camping. But as others noted above, and I've experienced in BC, fire bans come fast & furious so even camp propane setups add some risk that can be eliminated here.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Price Penalty?

I still can't figure out how Ford could possibly engineer, develop, and then include all the equipment that makes up the Hybrid portion of the Powerboost for the low upcharge. It doesn't seem feasible.

Somehow the co$t/profit budget has to be allocated somewhere other than the MSRP on the truck.

I figured that since there's so much overlap with the Lightning's "electrification of the F150, some portion of the R&D cost must have come out of the Lightning budget?

Regardless, The Powerboost is an amazing value equation for what you get over.... say the 3.5 Ecoboost version of the same exact build.

OP
OP
petemill

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software
Price Penalty?

I still can't figure out how Ford could possibly engineer, develop, and then include all the equipment that makes up the Hybrid portion of the Powerboost for the low upcharge. It doesn't seem feasible.

Somehow the co$t/profit budget has to be allocated somewhere other than the MSRP on the truck.

I figured that since there's so much overlap with the Lightning's "electrification of the F150, some portion of the R&D cost must have come out of the Lightning budget?

Regardless, The Powerboost is an amazing value equation for what you get over.... say the 3.5 Ecoboost version of the same exact build.
Ford has been doing hybrids for nearly 15 years so it's not like it's a brand new technology that they've recently developed.

Sponsored

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0L 302A Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired US Navy; currently DND
Ford has been doing hybrids for nearly 15 years so it's not like it's a brand new technology that they've recently developed.
Exactly.

Maybe not a "penalty" from most perspectives but certainly a chunk of money more than 2.7L or 3.5L F150. ($4.5k/$2.5k respectively for JUST the powertrain).
I've spent a good chunk of time trying to spec out XLT F150's with 2.7L vs Powerboost and for some reason, the PB always ends out about $9-10k more (mind you, I also add the 7.2kwh because it gives the most capability, and doing max-capacity + off-road, which seems to REALLY cost more on the PB, not sure why). No slag against the PB (I'd love one, tbh!), just for my daily needs/wants, it'll be a harder sell for the pocketbook & wife, and the mileage gains alone don't seem significant enough to justify the costs :)

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
freaking AWESOME
tell me more about the 230v induction unit
i need one for our bus and outside cooking

Ford F-150 [Photo] Camping with induction cooktops and mini-fridge using ProPower Picture 037

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I didn't mean to imply that Ford hasn't been building Hybrids. (My wife enjoyed her 2013 Cmax and it's still in the family)

But the Powerboost is very different than traditional Hybrid cars Ford built in the past. And I don't think that's any kind of bold claim.

Or put another way, you can spec out your dream truck with a 3.5 Ecoboost, and then add all the Powerboost features and advantages for about the cost of a high quality generator. Yet never load or unload the generator, nor carry the gas cans, or listen to it under load for hours at a time.

Gaining 4 or 5 mpg is just a way to recoup the co$t of the option during ownership. :)

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Price Penalty?

The engine and truck is not new. The hybrid technology is not new.

The only R&D required was how to adopt a known tech to an existing engine/tranny.

They did not have to invent anything.
I wouldnt think the cost was anything absurd. The ecoboost developement was probably 10x the cost of makin it hybred.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tough crowd. Hard to impress.

Been looking for other Hybrid vehicles with these features and a 10 speed tranny. Come up with zilch so far.
Sponsored