Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Powerboost
Occupation
Database Admin
Price Penalty?

I still can't figure out how Ford could possibly engineer, develop, and then include all the equipment that makes up the Hybrid portion of the Powerboost for the low upcharge. It doesn't seem feasible.

Somehow the co$t/profit budget has to be allocated somewhere other than the MSRP on the truck.

I figured that since there's so much overlap with the Lightning's "electrification of the F150, some portion of the R&D cost must have come out of the Lightning budget?

Regardless, The Powerboost is an amazing value equation for what you get over.... say the 3.5 Ecoboost version of the same exact build.
The trick is the battery voltage. Converting 480 DC to 220 AC is cheap.
Sponsored

NVSTG8R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150 Platinum, 2021 F150 Limited
Occupation
Retired Fire, Bomb, & Arson
Put a CO monitor in your tent and run the engine to see. CO is heavier than air and comes out of the tailpipe with some velocity so I doubt it will pool up enough around the truck to get to the tent. Longer term, CO monitors in the truck bed below the tent and in the tent near your head would be a good investment.
CO is actually lighter than air and will rise. With that said, it's almost the same specific gravity so any air flow at all, mixes it completely. This is why there is conflicting information on where to mount them (CO detectors) in your home. As long as you're in an open air environment, and not tucked up in some rocks or backed into a cave, you should be fine with as little as the truck runs in generator mode.

mflynndelta

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 FX4 Powerboost Platinum White 7.2kw pro
Occupation
Retired
I didn't mean to imply that Ford hasn't been building Hybrids. (My wife enjoyed her 2013 Cmax and it's still in the family)

But the Powerboost is very different than traditional Hybrid cars Ford built in the past. And I don't think that's any kind of bold claim.

Or put another way, you can spec out your dream truck with a 3.5 Ecoboost, and then add all the Powerboost features and advantages for about the cost of a high quality generator. Yet never load or unload the generator, nor carry the gas cans, or listen to it under load for hours at a time.

Gaining 4 or 5 mpg is just a way to recoup the co$t of the option during ownership. :)
My wife also owns a 2013 CMAX and love the 40 mpg she gets ! The technology in my Platinium 2021 F150 Powerboost is so cool and turns so many heads when I power my camper with my F150. We love our Ford hybrids !!

turbospartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost Lariat
Used ProPower for fully electric camping for a few days: electric induction cooktops, a mini-fridge, as well as blenders etc. One induction cooktop is 240v 3.5kw - boils water crazy fast, got the cast iron red hot. Other is 120v 1.8kw. Both available on Amazon. 50ft extension reel to provide power to the tent.

Used a 500wh battery that I charged during the day so I could power the fridge overnight without leaving the engine on. It used about 0.2kwh overnight.

Also got the Waterport with pressurised water for cleaning up.

1651703676230.png

What brand is that Induction cooktop and would you still recommend it? Building out my camp setup for my Powerboost, and trying to utilize the 7.2kwh ProPower where possible.

I also need a coffee maker

I also use the induction cooker that you have on the right. Gets things heated fast. But if I can get a camp fire going in the area, I'll use that for my heat source for cooking.

I also use an electric water kettle that quickly boils water for that morning coffee/tea brewing/steeping.

What electric kettle did you get? Any other "must have" electric items for your Powerboost camping trips?

OP
OP
petemill

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 f-150 powerboost, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
What brand is that Induction cooktop and would you still recommend it? Building out my camp setup for my Powerboost, and trying to utilize the 7.2kwh ProPower where possible.

I also need a coffee maker

What electric kettle did you get? Any other "must have" electric items for your Powerboost camping trips?
Was on amazon - any of them will be fine. I do think the 220v one is overkill. I hardly ever run it about 50% power - 2x 110v ones would be fine.

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
Was on amazon - any of them will be fine. I do think the 220v one is overkill. I hardly ever run it about 50% power - 2x 110v ones would be fine.
I bought this: NUWAVE Flex Precision Induction Cooktop, Portable, Large 6.5” Heating Coil, Temperature from 100F to 500F, 3 Wattage Settings 600, 900, and 1300w https://a.co/d/2BsSoRZ

A concern I had was a warning included with it warning not to run on a steel countertop etc, and when I was testing it, it kept triggering an electric faucet 5ft away. It seems like the magnetic field created is huge and very strong, which makes sense since there’s 1300W worth of field energy goi g out at full power for this model.

I am not going to risk running it on my tailgate in close proximity to all the sensors on the back of my F150, so an extension cord and a camp table 15 ft away is my plan.
Sponsored