Phone Priority between passengers?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I absolutely am willing to share Sync with a second phone. As long as it's my second phone.

I didn't see this feature set coming. And at first consideration thought it wouldn't apply to me. My occasional passengers are under 6 years old. All 5 of them.
But now I am already leveraging it with the SIMless second phone and I gotta admit that it's seemless and no fuss.

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 5.0
I am having the same issue.... I'm beginning to think that it works on an alphabetical name as no matter what I do, my son's phone takes priority over mine even though I have a profile set up (none for him) and as soon as I drive my truck after him (or my wife with the other key) carplay doesn't even connect automatically for me....

I've tried deleting then enrolling mine last yet it never seems to matter.....

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
I am having the same issue.... I'm beginning to think that it works on an alphabetical name as no matter what I do, my son's phone takes priority over mine even though I have a profile set up (none for him) and as soon as I drive my truck after him (or my wife with the other key) carplay doesn't even connect automatically for me....

I've tried deleting then enrolling mine last yet it never seems to matter.....
Yep, I’ve got the same problem. Such a pain I just deleted my wife’s Bluetooth profile- problem solved. Still, there must be a more elegant solution and an issue they must have thought though when implementing…iPhone 14 here- so CarPlay.

I don’t think it’s alphabetical as my name is before hers.

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Hmm, I was thinking the priority went to whoever's phone got into/near the truck first.

Sponsored

LightF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 2.7 XL SC
I have tried to figure out this same thing as my tablet sometimes takes priority over the phone. Sometimes it doesn't.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm still a bit confused.
If more than one phone is connected, it appears that Sync4 allows the occupant to change/edit which phone can participate in which role(s) of 3 roles available.

Although it does allow more than one phone to be enabled in the same role, if you disable/enable in a specific order, you will see Sync swap the phones top-bottom.

Perhaps that is reflecting a change in "priority"?

Ford F-150 Phone Priority between passengers? Screenshot_20230406_122912_YouTube

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum FX4 PB
Occupation
Owner, IT Consulting\MSP company.
I replied to this on another similar post. I believe it's alphabetical.
Add "AA" to the front of your phone name and try again. It should pickup your phone.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In the image above, the phone named Pawpaw's S21 is listed above Bruce's A13

P before B

But if I alter the roles of the phones, Sync will switch the order and B will be listed above P

That switching of listing order must be of some significance?

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Dang Ive wrote this 3 times and cant get the words right...
I think the order of "initial connection" shows on your screen in that order.... But when you hop in the truck and the truck searches, it looks for the first phone alphabetically.
So when Steve first connected his phone, Steves Phone and then connected his wife Annes phone it will show on the screen in that order. But when Steve and Anne hop in the truck. The truck finds Anne first....
Hope this is making sense. Long story short, I added AA in front of my S named phone. Now it always grabs my phone and not my wifes. Try it and see if it works.

Last edited:

Sponsored

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
Dang Ive wrote this 3 times and cant get the words right...
I think the order of "initial connection" shows on your screen in that order.... But when you hop in the truck and the truck searches, it looks for the first phone alphabetically.
So when Steve first connected his phone, Steves Phone and then connected his wife Annes phone it will show on the screen in that order. But when Steve and Anne hop in the truck. The truck finds Anne first....
Hope this is making sense. Long story short, I added AA in front of my S named phone. Now it always grabs my phone and not my wifes. Try it and see if it works.
Yeah, that didn't work for me (if I am understanding correctly). My phone was listed as "David's iPhone"- yet it still wants to connect to my wife's phone if she's in the truck with me- "Tina's iPhone".

I can indeed change the settings Snake has listed above under "Connection Options"- e.g., I can disable CarPlay for her phone- and it's fine until I turn the truck off...But if we both return to the truck again- it connects to CarPlay on her phone despite the previous settings.

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Hmmm, well that sucks. Maybe it's just completely random and I got lucky on my change?

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
Hmmm, well that sucks. Maybe it's just completely random and I got lucky on my change?
LOL...or I am an idiot and have overlooked something else; I am going to try re-connecting her phone and try some of these ideas again.

JJSnell

First Name
JJSnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
LOL...or I am an idiot and have overlooked something else; I am going to try re-connecting her phone and try some of these ideas again.
No, no... there are def some strange things about these new trucks. I cant recall if I unlearned the phone and then relearned it after I added the "AA" in front. I think I did... but honestly, cant remember.

OP
OP
WD8CXB

WD8CXB

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 4x4 SuperCrew / 2020 Expedition MAX 4x4
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
No, no... there are def some strange things about these new trucks. I cant recall if I unlearned the phone and then relearned it after I added the "AA" in front. I think I did... but honestly, cant remember.
I have tried multiple options. Even set it up so as @Jesse-Infotainment suggested. It would be nice if it was based on the loaded profile associated with the key. I have three people that drive my truck so there are three phones in the system. Mainly my wife and I use the truck with me driving it 99% of the time. However 99% of the time it links to my wife’s phone as the primary.
Sponsored