First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 4x4 SuperCrew / 2020 Expedition MAX 4x4
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Read through the manual but did not see where you can have a phone setup as the main phone when multiple phones are present in the truck. My wife's phone consistently connects to my Sync 4A when we are both in the truck. In our Expedition, there is a setting in Sync 3 to have one phone over the other be a priority. Is there a setting to make my phone always connect instead of connecting to my wife's phone?
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
If your APIM is the latest version and both phones are connected, then the menu item called "phone list" renders an interface that allows you to designate which features are associated with which phone.

A bit more granular than just selecting primary/secondary of course. But on my truck it even added the shortcut for "phone list" to the top bar.

OP
OP
WD8CXB

WD8CXB

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If your APIM is the latest version and both phones are connected, then the menu item called "phone list" renders an interface that allows you to designate which features are associated with which phone.

A bit more granular than just selecting primary/secondary of course. But on my truck it even added the shortcut for "phone list" to the top bar.

Familiar with the menu you are talking about. Guess I will need to play with it a little more. I have mine set up for car play and her phone for hands-free. Maybe that is where I messed up.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I wish there was a way to edit the name to be more descriptive. Currently when we're both in the truck it lists two Pixel 5a phones, so hard to tell which one is which when they're the same model.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I wish there was a way to edit the name to be more descriptive. Currently when we're both in the truck it lists two Pixel 5a phones, so hard to tell which one is which when they're the same model.
Sync uses the name I gave the phone itself. So brand/model information can't be seen from Sync unless I had never edited it on the phone before.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Familiar with the menu you are talking about. Guess I will need to play with it a little more. I have mine set up for car play and her phone for hands-free. Maybe that is where I messed up.
Just curious what function do you not want her phone to have when it connects?
You already assigned Carplay to yours and that IS one of 3 features that I believe you can designate to one phone or the other.

I think music (streaming) is another.
I can't remember the 3rd icon

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
Oh cool, just renamed phone "device name" on phone itself. Will test later. :)
You will need to delete and add the phone again. Sync caches the name and uses the bluetooth MAC address to id the phone.

OP
OP
WD8CXB

WD8CXB

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Just curious what function do you not want her phone to have when it connects?
You already assigned Carplay to yours and that IS one of 3 features that I believe you can designate to one phone or the other.

I think music (streaming) is another.
I can't remember the 3rd icon

Basic Hands-free and car play. When I am in the truck by myself car play connects, and my phone connects as hands-free. When she is in the truck with me, car play is not active, and the hands-free portion controlled by the buttons on the steering wheel controls her phone.

OP
OP
WD8CXB

WD8CXB

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
You will need to delete and add the phone again. Sync caches the name and uses the bluetooth MAC address to id the phone.
Will try that this evening. She was the last one to link to the truck.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I bet the steering wheel buttons are tied to which phone is allowed as music source?

Honestly I still can't remember the 3 feature choices in phone list

JIMFOUNTAIN

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SCREW PB 6.5' 701A
I bet the steering wheel buttons are tied to which phone is allowed as music source?

Honestly I still can't remember the 3 feature choices in phone list
The 3 feature choices I think are connecting as 1) phone 2) music source 3) Wireless AA/Carplay.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, I forgot to update after looking at the 3 "roles" available to assign to each phone.

travisN000

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost CCSB
Not certain, but I think sync gives priority to the last added device.. deleting and re-adding your device might solve your problems
Sponsored