First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
My wife’s new navigator has “phone as a key” and I haven’t carried a key for her car in 7 months.

I’ve tried to find some reference to this on the new F150 but haven’t found anything suggesting it’ll have it. I was hopeful since it’s all Ford and the new f150 has Sync 4 that it’ll have it.

Anyone else aware of anything different?
Sponsored

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
The answer to your question is yes and no. All Ford branded vehicles will come with FordPass Connect in 2021. The FordPass system is similar to the system that Ford uses for Lincoln, LincolnWay, but I do not believe that it gives you the same features.

If I am not mistaken, FordPass will allow you to unlock the doors and start the truck, but it all has to be done from the app itself. LincolnWay allows the vehicle to connect to the phone as you approach and allows you to open and start without opening/using the app. Lincoln, being the higher end brand, gets the more trick tech.

This would be a great question for someone to ask at a test-drive event? Perhaps the 2021 version of FordPass will be more feature laden.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
If not in 2021, I’m sure this feature will find it’s way on the 2022 F150.

The reason I say this is because Apple has introduced this feature as part of CarPlay and BMW will be the first major vehicle manufacturer to adopt it in 2021 on the new M5.

More than likely, Ford will offer there version as well as the Apple Carplay version to remain competitive with other makes who’ll adopt just the CarPlay iPhone as a key.

TxTech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
If not in 2021, I’m sure this feature will find it’s way on the 2022 F150.

The reason I say this is because Apple has introduced this feature as part of CarPlay and BMW will be the first major vehicle manufacturer to adopt it in 2021 on the new M5.

More than likely, Ford will offer there version as well as the Apple Carplay version to remain competitive with other makes who’ll adopt just the CarPlay iPhone as a key.
Unless it’s changed, I believe most new BMWs already support this via Apple CarKey if they were produced after July 1st.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
Unless it’s changed, I believe most new BMWs already support this via Apple CarKey if they were produced after July 1st.
Thanks for the info.

I heard what I wrote from last weeks Apple keynote about the new iPhone 12.

Always nice to learn something new so thanks again for the info.

Sponsored

OP
OP
zdjelar

zdjelar

First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
Yea I’m not talking about remote start and other features already available for years. I figured if the feature was available on a 2020 navigator, it could be available on a brand new 2021 f150 to start AND drive away with a virtual key, whether through app or true virtual key like the new BMWs.

TxTech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL
I’m doubting that Apple Car Key is included although I wish it was. I’m hoping though since it’s just an NFC chip it’s something that may already be included from a hardware standpoint and could be included via OTA in the future.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
It is my understanding that you will not need a key for the F-150, if your willing to do the work of getting the phone out and using the app. The Lincoln version, which will recognize the phone in your hand/pocket and act like the key, will do everything without your having to open the app. This has got to be the same system hardware, just different software in the app. Should be an easy update later down the line.

It is cool, though, to be walking out to your truck and be able to unlock and start it before you get there.
Sponsored