First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
Occupation
Consultant
Purchased a new 2021 Ford F-150 about a month and half ago. Left town for a week with truck locked and parked in garage. When I returned, I could not unlock the truck with the key fob or the Ford Pass app. The app displayed the message, "Your Vehicle is in Deep Sleep mode and connectivity is temporarily unavailable. Manually turn on your vehicle to deactivate this mode." To make matters worse, the physical key in the fob will not unlock the door. I guess the salesman should have tested it before he let me drive off the lot. Ford owner's manual (online) has no reference to "Deep Sleep mode". This forum thread has been very helpful. Roadside assistance showed up and tried to unlock the truck with a soft slim jim (pump and rod) with no luck. She tried to engage the door lock (doh!), but I told her the battery is likely dead. Only option now, according to the dealership, is to have it towed to the dealership and have them figure it out. Should I ask them to do the update and replace the battery? I'm open to any other suggestions. This is so frustrating to have this happen to a brand new vehicle.

UPDATE 03/22/2021 - No one at the dealership had any clue what Deep Sleep mode was and suggested that I call Roadside Assistance to have them come and unlock the truck and jump start it. Well, I did exactly that. The first attempt was a fail. The gal could not open the door. The dealership then suggested calling Roadside Assistance again to have the bring out a flatbed and tow it to the dealership. So that's what I did. When the drive showed up, he popped open the door in about 5 minutes and then tried to jump start the truck. It was a fail. The battery was completely drained and his jump box was not working. The only alternative was to drag it out of my garage on skids (since we couldn't get it out of park), load it up and two it to the dealer.

When I arrived at the dealership, again they said they hadn't heard of Deep Sleep mode before. Since the keys didn't work, the dealer had to request the key code from Ford, which required a copy of my drivers license and registration to verify my identity. After getting the key codes, the dealer had two new keys made, neither of which worked. I forgot that the dealer also gave us two standard keys (that don't go in the key fobs) which ended up working. So they thought they could cut new keys from these; however, upon further inspection, these were identical to all the other keys, including the new keys they had cut. The mystery continues.

Finally, the tech decided to tear down the lock and file down/smooth out the tublers which ultimately worked. Now I have a total of 6 keys - 4 key fob keys and 2 standard keys (BTW-Although the dealer told me all keys are working, one of the original key fob keys still does not fit completely in the door lock or unlock the door - FAIL!!). In the end, they replaced my battery and reprogrammed the computer to prevent future battery drains (we'll see about that). What a nightmare.

Although the service tech told me he had never heard of Deep Sleep mode when the truck arrived on a flatbed, he later said, "I've never heard of this happening and yours is the third 2021 F-150 has gone into deep sleep mode this year." So has he never heard of it at all, or did he just remember that 2 other F-150's had the same problem and he just remembered. They were quick to replace the battery and reprogram the computer as soon as I brought it in and showed them the article from the Detroit Free Press referenced in this thread. BTW-Thanks for posting the link to the article, it was a lifesaver. Any way, here's to hoping this won't ever happen again as long as I own this truck. Good luck to everyone else.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Purchased a new 2021 Ford F-150 about a month and half ago. Left town for a week with truck locked and parked in garage. When I returned, I could not unlock the truck with the key fob or the Ford Pass app. The app displayed the message, "Your Vehicle is in Deep Sleep mode and connectivity is temporarily unavailable. Manually turn on your vehicle to deactivate this mode." To make matters worse, the physical key in the fob will not unlock the door. I guess the salesman should have tested it before he let me drive off the lot. Ford owner's manual (online) has no reference to "Deep Sleep mode". This forum thread has been very helpful. Roadside assistance showed up and tried to unlock the truck with a soft slim jim (pump and rod) with no luck. She tried to engage the door lock (doh!), but I told her the battery is likely dead. Only option now, according to the dealership, is to have it towed to the dealership and have them figure it out. Should I ask them to do the update and replace the battery? I'm open to any other suggestions. This is so frustrating to have this happen to a brand new vehicle.
The dealer has your key code. I'd have them cut an extra key to see if that works. That is if you don't want it towed. You did try both emergency keys, didn't you? Guessin I'll check mine later.

Edit-I just checked my key and it works but it isn't easy to turn it. You don't have a lot of leverage.

Last edited:

Icbmredrat

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 XLT 4x4 Supercrew
Does this battery issue and other bugs affect early build dates?

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
Does this battery issue and other bugs affect early build dates?
Not necessarily. Mine was built on 11/24 and I took delivery about a week later. I’ve had two fully dead batteries and my original battery replaced since. Some of the other owners have more recent build dates than mine if I’m not mistaken.

cakryg

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Tundra
After sitting for 2 weeks. New battery and zone lighting disabled. Truck I deep sleep mode

Ford F-150 Phantom Battery Drain Issue in 2021 F-150 confirmed by Ford  -- "Deep Sleep Mode" [News Article] Screenshot_20210319-103008_FordPass

Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Very retired
After sitting for 2 weeks. New battery and zone lighting disabled. Truck I deep sleep mode

Screenshot_20210319-103008_FordPass.jpg
Looking like new F150 owners will need to do what Corvette owners have done since the C7 came out. Plug it into a Battery Tender when you know it'll sit more than a week. I did that for years. Looks like there's so much electronics on these things that may or may not shut down properly the Tender will be an early "mod" for everyone to get. I've got 2 of them and for sure it'll get used on this truck if I know it'll sit for a while. As soon as I pull my GT500 in the garage the hood goes up and I clip the Battery Tender on and cover it up. Still has the original battery.

CnB150Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, PB, Fx4, SuperCrew w/5.5 Bed

The truck goes into deep sleep when a long period of time goes by without use. Not just dead battery. When my 2020 sat for about 2 weeks it would do the same.
question is we’re you able to start it? Is the battery truly dead or just in a deep sleep state to conserv?

Norheat

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 f150 5.0, 2021 F150 hybrid

Interesting, with the Ford Pass app could it be causing your issue?

Were you able to manually start the vehicle like the app suggested?

Can you turn off deep sleep mode in the settings somewhere?

cakryg

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Tundra
The truck goes into deep sleep when a long period of time goes by without use. Not just dead battery. When my 2020 sat for about 2 weeks it would do the same.
question is we’re you able to start it? Is the battery truly dead or just in a deep sleep state to conserv?
Unfortunately I'm on vacation still until Monday. I'll find out if the battery is dead then.

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
100% correct Jus always done, still doing on my 2014 Convertible Corvette- it only has 3.5k mileage.

Sponsored

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unfortunately I'm on vacation still until Monday. I'll find out if the battery is dead then.
Any time I received the “Deep Sleep” mode via FordPass, my truck needed a jump. I hope this is somehow not the case for you.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking like new F150 owners will need to do what Corvette owners have done since the C7 came out. Plug it into a Battery Tender when you know it'll sit more than a week. I did that for years. Looks like there's so much electronics on these things that may or may not shut down properly the Tender will be an early "mod" for everyone to get. I've got 2 of them and for sure it'll get used on this truck if I know it'll sit for a while. As soon as I pull my GT500 in the garage the hood goes up and I clip the Battery Tender on and cover it up. Still has the original battery.
Or be sure you have your NOCO jump starter in your truck before you get to the airport and park it for several days.

Last edited:

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Very retired
This does suck and if I were to travel at this point, I'd disconnect the negative on the battery to be safe and put up with the truck relearning everything.

On second thought, I'd leave it in the garage and take a cab back and forth.

cakryg

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Tundra
Or be sure you have your NOCO jump starter in your truck before you get to the airport and park it for several days.
Luckily I have a wonderful daughter picking us up at the airport while Jeb is in "deep" sleep at home. I guess Fords need lots of quality sleep.

CnB150Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, PB, Fx4, SuperCrew w/5.5 Bed
Luckily I have a wonderful daughter picking us up at the airport while Jeb is in "deep" sleep at home. I guess Fords need lots of quality sleep.
Ok. Let us know when you get back if it’s truly just a sleep or dead. Hopeful it’s a true sleep mode issue and not a dead battery again! ?
Sponsored