Sponsored

Wmudavey

First Name
Davey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford f-150
https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...-ford-f-150-pickups-battery-drain/6753464002/

The article quotes forum member from: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/deep-sleep-mode.1691/

2021 Ford F-150 batteries going dead due to phantom battery drain

February 15, 2021

Some brand-new 2021 Ford F-150 pickups being delivered to dealerships and customers are experiencing dead 12-volt batteries due to phantom battery drain, the Free Press confirmed on Monday.

Ford F-150 Phantom Battery Drain Issue in 2021 F-150 confirmed by Ford  -- "Deep Sleep Mode" [News Article] b5-4639-92e6-cecd7a520aad-FordF150_12202020_AT_342

A car dealer in Texas said a random dead battery happened to him at the dealership, requiring use of his old F-250 pickup to charge the new F-150 to even get it to the service department.

The technician said the battery seemed fine so it was charged and returned to the lot, said the dealer, who was not authorized to talk with the media.

F-150 customers exchanged notes in private online discussion groups as they've tried to determine the cause and figure out a solution.

"A population of vehicles built before we began shipping to dealers require a software update to prevent batteries from losing their charge," said Ford spokesman Said Deep told the Free Press. "Our dealers were notified last week and customer letters will go out next week as part of a customer satisfaction program for this matter."

Cause unknown
Ford declined to provide details about the situation, specifically why the 12-volt batteries are losing juice or how many vehicles are suspected of having this problem.

In private online forums for 2021 F-150 owners, discussion has focused in recent weeks on the issue of battery durability and a potential explanation for the situation.

Owners have compared notes on who was having battery issues and when.

One owner confirmed his truck was built Nov. 24 in Dearborn. He wrote, "My truck went into deep sleep mode once and the only way to bring it back to life was a jump start. Had to use the physical key in the fob to open the door."

Another F-150 owner said his truck was built Jan. 18 in Dearborn. "Dead as a doornail today. Drove the truck this past Sunday on a 100 mile trip."

A third owner wrote, "Joining the club of dead batteries. I figured it was a result of me not driving for 5 days and mild cold but it didn't feel right. Thankfully I found this website forum. I'll have to schedule the recall on the truck to fix it. Hopefully it corrects the battery issue."

Ford F-150 owners experiencing a battery charge problem should go to the dealership for a software update, Deep said.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

ford2021

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
Occupation
sales
Mine was in low power mode the day after I brought it home... leaving on a trip today so we will see if it starts when back home.

ddfarmer

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350
This just happened to me this morning. Drove it approx 250 miles during the week including Saturday and Sunday. Didn't drive it on Monday, and woke up this morning to dead vehicle. Can't start, lights flicker and stuck in the garage! Not good. Spent an hour trying to get roadside assistance. Not happy!

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
I thanked the reporter yesterday that wrote the article and quoted some of us in her piece.

I have an appt at the dealer at 7:00am tomorrow. I will report back.

Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
F-150 customers exchanged notes in private online discussion groups as they've tried to determine the cause and figure out a solution.

"A population of vehicles built before we began shipping to dealers require a software update to prevent batteries from losing their charge," said Ford spokesman Said Deep told the Free Press. "Our dealers were notified last week and customer letters will go out next week as part of a customer satisfaction program for this matter."

In private online forums for 2021 F-150 owners, discussion has focused in recent weeks on the issue of battery durability and a potential explanation for the situation.

Owners have compared notes on who was having battery issues and when.

One owner confirmed his truck was built Nov. 24 in Dearborn. He wrote, "My truck went into deep sleep mode once and the only way to bring it back to life was a jump start. Had to use the physical key in the fob to open the door."

Another F-150 owner said his truck was built Jan. 18 in Dearborn. "Dead as a doornail today. Drove the truck this past Sunday on a 100 mile trip."

A third owner wrote, "Joining the club of dead batteries. I figured it was a result of me not driving for 5 days and mild cold but it didn't feel right. Thankfully I found this website forum. I'll have to schedule the recall on the truck to fix it. Hopefully it corrects the battery issue."
Owners in private online forums” had me like:

Ford F-150 Phantom Battery Drain Issue in 2021 F-150 confirmed by Ford  -- "Deep Sleep Mode" [News Article] 15994FCD-338A-4A42-BE46-90A68969CD2D

THAT’S US!!!!

HMG2Ford

First Name
Mic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 Ford F150 Lariat ... 2017 Infiniti Q60S
Occupation
Retired
Maybe we should enlighten this sharp reporter about the rust issue as well?

Sponsored

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maybe we should enlighten this sharp reporter about the rust issue as well?
Contact Phoebe and let her know. She’s very responsive.

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
Contact Phoebe and let her know. She’s very responsive.
I'm pushing Ford pretty hard on the rust issue, but I'd love for the FREEP to pick this story up as well. If anyone reaches out to the reporter, let us know, please.

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm pushing Ford pretty hard on the rust issue, but I'd love for the FREEP to pick this story up as well. If anyone reaches out to the reporter, let us know, please.
I just reached out to her. She’s already writing on it. ??

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
My 1st response when I seen & read this was

It's about time. :mad:(y)

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
Now Ford needs to recognize the rust issues :mad::poop:
Sponsored