First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost, 2022 Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Retired auto engineer
Can someone please translate this excerpt from the owner's manual page 592 about personal profiles in plain English? Have read this several times and still not real clear. Just trying to set up a remote to my wife's personal profile.

PERSONAL PROFILES
When you switch on the Personal Profiles feature:
  • Unlocking a door with a remote control or mobile device that is not linked to a driver profile does not change the active profile, but remains in the last known profile. It does not change the positional settings.
  • Pressing a memory seat button that is not linked to a driver profile or saved to a preset setting does not change the active profile, but remains in the last known profile. It does not change the positional settings.
  • Pressing a memory seat button that is not linked to a driver profile but is saved to a preset setting does not change the active profile, but remains in the last known profile. It recalls the positional settings that you saved to that memory seat button.
When you switch off a Personal Profiles feature:
  • Unlocking a door with a remote control or mobile device does not recall any non-positional settings but still recalls positional settings from the driver profile which the remote control or mobile device is linked to.
  • Pressing a memory seat button that is not linked to a driver profile or saved to a preset setting recalls non-positional settings from the guest profile. It does not change the positional settings.
  • Pressing a memory seat button that is linked to a driver profile or has saved to a preset setting recalls non-positional settings from the guest profile. It recalls the positional settings that you saved to that memory seat button.
Sponsored

spud_41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 502a, Lead Foot 3.5L EB Fx4
Are you looking for directions to set up the key for a personal profile?

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 XLT Sport 2.7EB SCrew 302A High
Does anyone know if configuring a "MyKey" will allow for the creation of a user profile?

To clarify: I have an XLT without driver position settings and no easy entry feature. Thus, the "user profile" section is not displayed anywhere in my sync settings, however, I DO have the ability to create a "MyKey". While I have no use for the mykey restrictions, I have heard others report that creating individual driver profiles may be a workaround for preventing the "My View" reset in the dash cluster.

I had just assumed this workaround was not available for me without the multi-driver memory features, but now I'm wondering if setting up a mykey may have some effect.

OP
OP
Cobra427

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired auto engineer
No, this is pretty straightforward. What I asked was for someone to interpret the "rules" I quoted that seem to apply once you have set up a key to a profile. Page 592, right hand column

Sponsored

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
The MyKey function and the profiles function are two different things. Profiles setup things like the seat, menus, presets, etc. MyKey allows for establishing non-administrative users ie teenagers, with speed limits, volume limits, etc.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
There really is 3 "things". MyKey is useful to enforce/limit functions, primarily for your new teen driver, but also could be useful for a Fleet Owner wanting to enforce some restrictions on their drivers.

What the OP is asking is for clarifications between the other 2 components.

One is the same one that has been on upper scale vehicles for a while, using the buttons on the driver door to store into a memory button (there are 3 memories) that stores seat position, steering wheel position, outside mirror positions and pedal positions. So you can set one for you and one for say your spouse (who is a different height, etc). Further you can (like you could in the past) associate a specific key fob with a specific Memory Store (so when you unlock or start the truck with your fob, is moves everything to your preference you stored). This is all just like it has been for a while.

The new thing (that is causing some confusion) is Sync 4 profiles. These allow you to create a profile that stores some settings that you want (like radio stations, driving preferences, etc) AND associate it with a specific (seat) positional button on the driver door. (as well as accessing it from the Sync screen). And of course if you had your key fob associated to a Driver Door Memory Profile that will trigger it also when unlocking with that fob (or starting) So now this new profile "thing" allows everything that can be personalized to be all brought together. You walk up to your truck unlock your door, the seats (after easy entry/exit is over) will be where you want them, then outside mirrors will be where you want them, the pedal positions, etc. AND your other preferences (radio stations, etc) will also be set to your stored settings.

Finally, the paragraphs, the OP commented on in the first post, was trying to delineate what happens when you have not fully implemented either profiles or memory seat buttons (as you can do one or the other without doing both).

So it's describing what happens if you open truck with a key fob not assigned to a profile. Or hit a Memory Door button that is not associated with a Sync 4 personal profile (net is the seats, et al will move to the stored positions, if you stored something, but what ever Sync 4 profile was active before will stay active.

For example you set everything up for your key fob (both memory seat and Sync 4 profile). Then your spouse uses truck with a separate fob that has NOT be associated with anything. Then the truck (and the seats) will be working with your profile and memory seat locations.

There is a little more, particularly about guest profile (i.e. default profile if profiles off or no profiles set). But I think this is enough for now.......

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
I liken it to what happens when I get in my wife’s Acura using her key:

At first it tries to kill me by squishing me into my wifes seat position of choice.

Next I press the driver 2 button (seat controls) and it sets everything to what is comfortable for me.

By pressing the driver 2 button or otherwise changing the settings while using my wifes key, I am not changing her preferences (just temporarily overriding for that trip). The next time I get in using my wifes key it will again try to recreate the trash compactor scene from star wars.

So it sounds to me that super complicated paragraph is basically simply stating the same thing: If you adjust things while in a driver profile you are not changing that profile and if you are using a key that has no profile the last used profile remains in effect.

OP
OP
Cobra427

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired auto engineer
There really is 3 "things". MyKey is useful to enforce/limit functions, primarily for your new teen driver, but also could be useful for a Fleet Owner wanting to enforce some restrictions on their drivers.

What the OP is asking is for clarifications between the other 2 components.

One is the same one that has been on upper scale vehicles for a while, using the buttons on the driver door to store into a memory button (there are 3 memories) that stores seat position, steering wheel position, outside mirror positions and pedal positions. So you can set one for you and one for say your spouse (who is a different height, etc). Further you can (like you could in the past) associate a specific key fob with a specific Memory Store (so when you unlock or start the truck with your fob, is moves everything to your preference you stored). This is all just like it has been for a while.

The new thing (that is causing some confusion) is Sync 4 profiles. These allow you to create a profile that stores some settings that you want (like radio stations, driving preferences, etc) AND associate it with a specific (seat) positional button on the driver door. (as well as accessing it from the Sync screen). And of course if you had your key fob associated to a Driver Door Memory Profile that will trigger it also when unlocking with that fob (or starting) So now this new profile "thing" allows everything that can be personalized to be all brought together. You walk up to your truck unlock your door, the seats (after easy entry/exit is over) will be where you want them, then outside mirrors will be where you want them, the pedal positions, etc. AND your other preferences (radio stations, etc) will also be set to your stored settings.

Finally, the paragraphs, the OP commented on in the first post, was trying to delineate what happens when you have not fully implemented either profiles or memory seat buttons (as you can do one or the other without doing both).

So it's describing what happens if you open truck with a key fob not assigned to a profile. Or hit a Memory Door button that is not associated with a Sync 4 personal profile (net is the seats, et al will move to the stored positions, if you stored something, but what ever Sync 4 profile was active before will stay active.

For example you set everything up for your key fob (both memory seat and Sync 4 profile). Then your spouse uses truck with a separate fob that has NOT be associated with anything. Then the truck (and the seats) will be working with your profile and memory seat locations.

There is a little more, particularly about guest profile (i.e. default profile if profiles off or no profiles set). But I think this is enough for now.......
Nicely and simply stated. Thanks. Why couldn't the manual writers have said it like you did?

OP
OP
Cobra427

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired auto engineer
I liken it to what happens when I get in my wife’s Acura using her key:

At first it tries to kill me by squishing me into my wifes seat position of choice.

Next I press the driver 2 button (seat controls) and it sets everything to what is comfortable for me.

By pressing the driver 2 button or otherwise changing the settings while using my wifes key, I am not changing her preferences (just temporarily overriding for that trip). The next time I get in using my wifes key it will again try to recreate the trash compactor scene from star wars.

So it sounds to me that super complicated paragraph is basically simply stating the same thing: If you adjust things while in a driver profile you are not changing that profile and if you are using a key that has no profile the last used profile remains in effect.
Thanks. A lot simpler the way you say it

Sponsored

shalabama

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Maybe I am overlooking the obvious but I don't see how to identify which fob would be associated with a profile you create. So if you threw the two fobs together in a basket how would you know which fob was yours and which was for another profile? All fobs for my other vehicles are numbered 1 & 2. Don't see any markings or designations for the F150.

CBGray

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 2.7L EB Screw 4x4 501A
Occupation
Software
Maybe I am overlooking the obvious but I don't see how to identify which fob would be associated with a profile you create. So if you threw the two fobs together in a basket how would you know which fob was yours and which was for another profile? All fobs for my other vehicles are numbered 1 & 2. Don't see any markings or designations for the F150.
You can specify which profile you want to set to which fob.
1. First, create your personal profile via the touchscreen - in the setup, you enter a name for your profile. You can now have applicable settings saved to this profile.
2. Bring the fob you want to associate to the profile into the truck with you. You then go under the profile settings and choose to link a profile to a fob. It will detect the fob that is in the vehicle, and then ask you which profile (if there are multiple to choose from) you want to associate to that fob.

When I set this up for myself, I just kept things easy and just brought my fob with me and left the spare fob in the house. If we ever wanted to set up a fob for my wife, I'd do the same process at setup, just leaving mine in the house.

shalabama

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
You can specify which profile you want to set to which fob.
1. First, create your personal profile via the touchscreen - in the setup, you enter a name for your profile. You can now have applicable settings saved to this profile.
2. Bring the fob you want to associate to the profile into the truck with you. You then go under the profile settings and choose to link a profile to a fob. It will detect the fob that is in the vehicle, and then ask you which profile (if there are multiple to choose from) you want to associate to that fob.

When I set this up for myself, I just kept things easy and just brought my fob with me and left the spare fob in the house. If we ever wanted to set up a fob for my wife, I'd do the same process at setup, just leaving mine in the house.
Thanks CB I appreciate your detailed explanation for setting up and associating profiles, but my actual question is how to identify the individual fobs. I don't see any numbers or markings similar the attached photo of my wife's SUV. Do we have to mark or add a keychain or case to be able to differentiate between the two fobs?
Ford F-150 Personal Profiles fob

CBGray

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 2.7L EB Screw 4x4 501A
Occupation
Software
Ah, so sorry about that. I obviously missed the core question! I had a fob cover for mine on day one, so I never noticed or tried to tell them apart. I’ll see if I can check my second one.

OP
OP
Cobra427

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired auto engineer
So, if I have this right, once you create a personal profile and link it to a key fob, the next time that key fob is used, it recalls all the position settings and convenience settings associated with that profile. Then, any changes made to the convenience settings are saved to that profile automatically, but any changes to positional settings aren't saved unless the position setting button is pressed and held until a beep is heard. Right?
Sponsored