Sponsored

Pedestrian Sounder Delete (No Codes, Easily Reversible)

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Figured I'd put this into a new thread just for visibility. I know many have wanted to disable the pedestrian sounder (The device making the "groaning" fake engine sound as well as the backup alarm) on the PowerBoost. Full credit goes to PeteRit's post here, I just made some directions for anyone who would like to give it a try themselves.

Obligatory Disclaimer: The pedestrian sounder is obviously a safety device, and is there for a reason. Any modifications you do to your truck are entirely your own responsibility.

With that out of the way, here's the relatively simple process of bypassing the sounder. The best part of this workaround is it's barely 5 minutes to revert the change and put everything back as it was from the factory if you ever need to.

What's needed:
- Tailgate delete connector (Look in your glovebox for the bag of connectors, we're going to use one of them)
- 1x 25w 4ohm Resistor (This will work)
- 2x 1.5mm male connector pins (This kit should work. Has a lot more than you need, but is cheap enough and may come in handy later, I'm sure you could get just the pins somewhere else for cheaper if you wanted.)
- Some scrap 18-20AWG wire (Around 6-8" is all you should need)
- Some shrink tube or tape to seal things up
- A soldering iron

For those not feeling too adventurous, @WillB17 had the entrepreneurial spirit to start selling these. You can purchase one from him here.

Assemble the bypass device:
- Crimp/solder your two pins to some wire and insert them into the connector (These should snap into place when properly inserted and not want to come back out)
- Solder in the resistor to connect the two leads on your pins, here’s what mine looked like
Ford F-150 Pedestrian Sounder Delete (No Codes, Easily Reversible) 1633006678390

- Clean everything up a bit by securing it all together, I used some shrink tube and will probably add some additional protection later to waterproof it better
Ford F-150 Pedestrian Sounder Delete (No Codes, Easily Reversible) 1633006688693

Install the bypass device:
- Disconnect your sounder module and plug your resistor setup into the harness that came off of the module
- I’d recommend covering up the connector on the module to keep it clean for potential future use and securing your new connector somewhere so it’s not just dangling around
- You're all done - the sounder will now be completely eliminated and no codes/lights should be present at all. In the event you ever need to put things back, all you need to do is unplug your "bypass device" and plug the sounder back in. No factory wiring is modified at all.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired

PeteRit

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Lariat PB
Occupation
Retired
Figured I'd put this into a new thread just for visibility. I know many have wanted to disable the pedestrian sounder (The device making the "groaning" fake engine sound as well as the backup alarm) on the PowerBoost. Full credit goes to PeteRit's post here, I just made some directions for anyone who would like to give it a try themselves.

Obligatory Disclaimer: The pedestrian sounder is obviously a safety device, and is there for a reason. Any modifications you do to your truck are entirely your own responsibility.

With that out of the way, here's the relatively simple process of bypassing the sounder. The best part of this workaround is it's barely 5 minutes to revert the change and put everything back as it was from the factory if you ever need to.

What's needed:
- Tailgate delete connector (Look in your glovebox for the bag of connectors, we're going to use one of them)
- 1x 25w 4ohm Resistor (I used this)
- 2x 1.5mm male connector pins (I used this kit. Has a lot more than you need, but is cheap enough and may come in handy later, I'm sure you could get just the pins somewhere else for cheaper if you wanted.)
- Some scrap 18-20AWG wire (Around 6-8" is all you should need)
- Some shrink tube or tape to seal things up
- A soldering iron

Assemble the bypass device:
- Crimp/solder your two pins to some wire and insert them the connector (These should snap into place when properly inserted and not want to come back out)
- Solder in the resistor to connect the two leads on your pins, here’s what mine looked like
1633006678390.png

- Clean everything up a bit by securing it all together, I used some shrink tube and will probably add some additional protection later to waterproof it better
1633006688693.png

Install the bypass device:
- Disconnect your sounder module and plug your resistor setup into the harness that came off of the module
- I’d recommend covering up the connector on the module to keep it clean for potential future use and securing your new connector somewhere so it’s not just dangling around
- You're all done - the sounder will now be completely eliminated and no codes/lights should be present at all. In the event you ever need to put things back, all you need to do is unplug your "bypass device" and plug the sounder back in. No factory wiring is modified at all.
Looks great! I did the same and have posted about the tailgate delete cap a few times on Facebook! I've had mine for a few months now. Best way to do it right there. Prepare for all the safety Nazis jumping in now even though they're willing to tint windshields down to 20% with 5% sides and tell me that it's completly safe. Oh and the "it's federally mandated" guys with their entire emissions system modified with exhausts. Enjoy the silent sounds of nothing now!

PeteRit

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Lariat PB
Occupation
Retired
Looks great! I did the same and have posted about the tailgate delete cap a few times on Facebook! I've had mine for a few months now. Best way to do it right there. Prepare for all the safety Nazis jumping in now even though they're willing to tint windshields down to 20% with 5% sides and tell me that it's completly safe. Oh and the "it's federally mandated" guys with they're entire emissions system modified with exhausts. Enjoy the silent sounds of nothing now!
Oh shit just noticed the credit! Thanks man! Glad it helped and worked out perfectly!!

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
Great information. Thanks for the post. Did not see this in the other thread about using foam to block it.

Sponsored

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
just don't back over someone in the consumer mall parking lot with this in your truck
and don't shrink wrap over a resistor heat sink
Great point about the shrink wrap!

OP
OP

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
just don't back over someone in the consumer mall parking lot with this in your truck
and don't shrink wrap over a resistor heat sink
I was a little concerned over the heat as well, but so far haven’t noticed any heat built up at all, good point to keep an eye on it though.

The biggest reason I wanted to get rid of this thing was just the dumb backup alarm. I get the fake engine noise for safety, it was a little annoying but not that bad, but the backup alarm was straight up humiliating when it came on. If the regular ICE F-150s don’t need a backup alarm, why in the world does the PB if they already have the fake engine sound?

Sponsored

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
This is awesome. I've never heard a Prius or Telsa make stupid sounds in a parking lot. They just quietly roll like a bicycle. Thanks for the post. :)
Tesla does have a pedestrian sound now (I think it arrived in 2020 models.) There's an option to load your own sound.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I was a little concerned over the heat as well, but so far haven’t noticed any heat built up at all, good point to keep an eye on it though.

The biggest reason I wanted to get rid of this thing was just the dumb backup alarm. I get the fake engine noise for safety, it was a little annoying but not that bad, but the backup alarm was straight up humiliating when it came on. If the regular ICE F-150s don’t need a backup alarm, why in the world does the PB if they already have the fake engine sound?
I don't mind the backup alarm normally, but I was off-road a while back and it was the stupidest thing to not have an "off" button for that thing. A silent vehicle making a five-point turn on a deserted track on the side of a mountain … beep … beep … beep … ffs … : )

OP
OP

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Or being in a campground (natural habitat for this truck) after quiet time and needing to back in. It would seem 5X's as loud.
I had this exact situation this summer, had to leave at 11PM because of an upset baby and had the stupid backup alarm going off trying to get out of our site.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Tesla does have a pedestrian sound now (I think it arrived in 2020 models.) There's an option to load your own sound.
Got a co-worker with a 2021 model 3 and it makes no sounds in the work parking lot. I asked him about it and he said it has never made any noises at slow speeds. The only "sound" it makes is the fart sound he added to make his boys laugh in the back seat on demand.
Sponsored