Sponsored

Pedestrian Alert System - Anyone else annoyed by it?

brnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat
I started a thread and yes is annoying as hell.
I agree. It's especially bad with the windows down, and (as others have noted) the truck generates the sound even when the gas engine is running!!!

oldschool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 escape, '04 f150, '03 fjr1300, 21 xlt PB 2wd
Occupation
retired
Pedestrian Alert System - Overview

Overview

Due to the quiet nature of vehicles operating in electric mode, pedestrians may not be aware of the presence and operation of the vehicle, thus risking potential injury to pedestrains. The pedestrian alert system provides an audible sound from a front mounted speaker to indicate to pedestrians that the vehicle is approaching in forward or reverse ranges at vehicle speeds between 0-30 km/h (0-18 mph).

I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, but the PowerBoost and I'm sure the full EV F150 have a Pedestrian Alert System. It plays the reverse chime from what I can tell and generates a fake engine noise at lower speeds (0-18 mph). At first, I thought I was being followed by a rice rocket until I realized the noise was coming from my truck. Even with the windows up, you can hear this annoying noise in the cabin.

The speaker assembly is located in front of the truck, in front of the far lower left side of the radiator (driver's side). It's a fairly sizable assembly which has a two wire connector and a down facing speaker. Unfortunately, the control module monitors for an open (resistance measurement), so simply unplugging it presented a warning in the cluster about the speaker. I ran through the diagnosis procedure to look at the symptom chart, but decided to try disconnecting it anyhow, which presented the warning. For now, I've taken some dense foam to attenuate the volume, but man I'd like for it to go away. Sounds really goofy IMO. It's on even when the gas engine is on. I may get my probes out and measure the resistance and see about installing a resistor to see if that would bypass it without getting a warning. The speaker is in a difficult to access position, so just getting the connector off without disassembling the front of the truck is a challenge. Maybe if you have tiny hands it wouldn't be so bad. It just takes a little creativity with tools to get the connector to release is all. I did it in about a minute.

At least the foam cut the volume down by probably a third, but my friend asked me yesterday if I had a muffled Miata under the hood. I own a Miata so he was making fun of both the truck and the Miata. LOL

It's not the end of the world but I figured I'd start the conversation.
When you unplugged the speaker and generated the warning, did it go away when reconnected or did it have to be reset (cleared) by forscan or some other diagnostic tool?

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum, 2020 Cadillac Escalade
Occupation
I’m a tire man
Pedestrian Alert System - Overview

Overview

Due to the quiet nature of vehicles operating in electric mode, pedestrians may not be aware of the presence and operation of the vehicle, thus risking potential injury to pedestrains. The pedestrian alert system provides an audible sound from a front mounted speaker to indicate to pedestrians that the vehicle is approaching in forward or reverse ranges at vehicle speeds between 0-30 km/h (0-18 mph).

I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, but the PowerBoost and I'm sure the full EV F150 have a Pedestrian Alert System. It plays the reverse chime from what I can tell and generates a fake engine noise at lower speeds (0-18 mph). At first, I thought I was being followed by a rice rocket until I realized the noise was coming from my truck. Even with the windows up, you can hear this annoying noise in the cabin.

The speaker assembly is located in front of the truck, in front of the far lower left side of the radiator (driver's side). It's a fairly sizable assembly which has a two wire connector and a down facing speaker. Unfortunately, the control module monitors for an open (resistance measurement), so simply unplugging it presented a warning in the cluster about the speaker. I ran through the diagnosis procedure to look at the symptom chart, but decided to try disconnecting it anyhow, which presented the warning. For now, I've taken some dense foam to attenuate the volume, but man I'd like for it to go away. Sounds really goofy IMO. It's on even when the gas engine is on. I may get my probes out and measure the resistance and see about installing a resistor to see if that would bypass it without getting a warning. The speaker is in a difficult to access position, so just getting the connector off without disassembling the front of the truck is a challenge. Maybe if you have tiny hands it wouldn't be so bad. It just takes a little creativity with tools to get the connector to release is all. I did it in about a minute.

At least the foam cut the volume down by probably a third, but my friend asked me yesterday if I had a muffled Miata under the hood. I own a Miata so he was making fun of both the truck and the Miata. LOL

It's not the end of the world but I figured I'd start the conversation.
I’m interested in turning this off as well. I actually don’t mind the backup alert. I get that part. But I don’t like whatever kind of noise it’s making going forward. I know someone who might can help. It may be next week before I can see them

Sponsored

OP
OP

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PowerBoost FX4
When you unplugged the speaker and generated the warning, did it go away when reconnected or did it have to be reset (cleared) by forscan or some other diagnostic tool?
The error went away after I reconnected it.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
I don't even hear it. My wife was outside and not in the truck the other day and when I got back asked if it was making a noise when I backed up.

I explained it to her.

But, if she had to ask if it was making a noise, it couldn't have teen that loud.

philraptor

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra Trd
Occupation
Attorney
Absolute least favorite thing about the truck. Can’t they turn the volume down just a little? It’s absurd how loud they have the airplane noise.

let’s hope in a subsequent OTA update they back off the ridiculousness. Wish there was a way to Forscan turn it down.

Sponsored

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
It's definitely annoying, I'll probably try the method of some foam to muffle it a bit on mine. Really need to find a way to disable that backup alarm though, that is straight up embarrassing.

ddsag09

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Platinum Powerboost
So I have a short or loose connector in the Pedestrian Sounder module next to the tow hook. Can I ask for any of you that tried to disconnect it....how did you get the harness out. I've tried for 15-20min to unplug it but it will not come out. Mine sporadically works if I wiggle the wires which leads me to believe it's a problem with the harness. Thanks.

Grubby

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
I get that the sound had a valid reason to exist, but the sound SUCKS. On a quiet night it's embarrassing! It sounded like heavy equipment in the distance. If this was the final noise they could come up with, the alternatives must have made their ears bleed. And why the hell must it play when then the ICE is on!??

I'll try calling the dealer first, but I think I should complain to Ford. Does anyone know if they actually do suppress the noise for the first few miles? which to me is deceptive/crooked.

rick2go

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Self Employed
Please do not disable this safety system. A silent electric car is 19% more likely to be involved in a pedestrian accident than a gas vehicle. It is 38% more likely to be in a bicycle collision. The NHTSA estimates that the warning noises would prevent 2,800 pedestrian and cyclist injuries during the life of each model year electric and hybrid vehicle.

It's also the law to have these systems now. Your insurance may not cover you if you injure or kill someone after disabling it.

I agree that safety is a number one priority but I have seen so many quiet vehicles with ICE that have no such alert. Lincoln has been making quite cars for years. Lexus as well. The sound Ford put on this truck makes it sound like a old broken lawn mower. At least they should have put a better sound. My Jeep 4xe has full electric mode with a much better sound.

rick2go

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Self Employed
The sound is absurd. I really thought that my neighbor was cutting the lawn in his property when I was driving on pure electric for the first time. And that's about 100 yards away. I own a Jeep 4xe and the noise is so much more acceptable. It sounds like the future. I drove a Taycan the other day and the noise it made was definitely the future. I am hoping someone comes up with an aftermarket replacement speaker module that can be changed to different sounds. I like the foam hack.
Sponsored