Sponsored

Pedestrian Alert System - Anyone else annoyed by it?

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Iconic Silver Limited PowerBoost
Occupation
Software Engineer
While anxiously awaiting my truck and, like many others, planning on mods and changes, I have been debating doing this same resistor trick. I do go into some places where I don't want the sound (neighbor works shift work and his window is next to our driveway, on family farm so as not to scare off animals, etc.) However, I agree with others that it really is a safety issue. So, I came up with what I believe SHOULD be an idea solution...

I plan to add button(s) or rocker switch to the cabin somewhere which will do one of several potential things:
  • Flip a relay to switch between the speaker and the dummy load
  • Flip above relay and set a time to auto-enable after a set time (5 minutes?)
  • Control the volume of the speaker
I don't know yet which options are valid - the first two should work just fine unless the couple of milliseconds that the relay takes activates the warning and it doesn't go away after engagement. However, I think this should be fast enough to work.

The more interesting one might be the volume... in theory we should be able to set a variable resistance circuit "ahead" of the speaker, resulting in a quieter output. Not sure of the system could detect this as an error or not. I believe this is testable by putting a 2 ohms resistor in place ahead of the speaker and seeing what happens.

Anyway, I am supposed to get my truck this week so hopefully that project will not be long in at least experimenting. If anyone is interested I can post back results once any information is learned.
Sponsored

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
I took my own stab at PeteRit’s workaround, works great so far in a quick test.
For anyone wanting details on what’s needed, here’s how I went about it.

What you’ll need:
- Tailgate delete connector (Look in your glovebox)
- 1x 25w 4ohm Resistor (I used this)
- 2x 1.5mm male connector pins (I used this kit. Has a lot more than you need, but is cheap enough and may come in handy later)
- Some scrap 18-20AWG wire

- Crimp/solder your two connectors to some wire and insert into the connector
- Solder in the resistor to connect the leads on your two pins, here’s what mine looked like
Ford F-150 Pedestrian Alert System - Anyone else annoyed by it? 1632568166321

- Clean everything up a bit, I used but shrink tube and will probably add some additional protection later to waterproof it better
Ford F-150 Pedestrian Alert System - Anyone else annoyed by it? 1632568223445

- Disconnect your sounder module and plug your resistor setup in its place
- I’d recommend covering up the connector on the module to keep it clean for potential future use and securing your new connector somewhere so it’s not just dangling around

Last edited:

cool rod

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum, 2013 Mustang
I had a piece of foam rubber left from a wall protection kit I bought so my wife wouldn't damage the garage walls anymore. The kit cost $17 and it's useful.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H79DWRM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I cut a 5" piece and pushed it paper side down (toward the floor) into the space between the speaker grill and the plastic trim piece below it. I tried to use the sticky side of the foam rubber first but it stuck to everything it touched and I couldn't get it into place. The foam rubber is pressed firmly against the speaker grill and overlaps on all sides. It's a snug fit, the plastic trim piece flexes enough for you to slide the foam rubber in and then springs up against it and it won't ever fall out, but you can remove it any time you want.

The foam is 1 1/4" thick by 4" wide and fairly dense. You might still hear some noise but it will be quieter.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
but you can remove it any time you want.
That was the biggest thing I wanted, I didn't want to modify any factory wiring or do anything messy that couldn't be easily reversed. If I ever change my mind or just want to put it back in place before service or something it's as easy and unplugging a connector (From the one with the resistor) and plugging it back in (To the sounder module).

f150powerboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT POWERBOOST
First time taking my new 2021 F150 XLT in to the woods, scouting for wildlife up in Gods country. Been doing this all my life. Its why I have a truck. Saw several deer but they were all running away for some reason. Normally I'd see other wildlife on these back roads as well. If you drive slow you have a better chance of spotting them, you know, under 22 mph or so. (Can you sense the sarcasm?)

I'm sure glad I paid $57k for my new truck and its "wildlife alert" system that will prevent any wild animal from ever feeling comfortable near this vehicle. What a joke. Here is a thought; if you plan on hunting or being in the woods, DO NOT BY THIS TRUCK.

Ford seems to have forgotten that not everyone drives their trucks around people all day long. I'm lucky if I see a pedestrian once a month. And even thats too often.

Last edited:

Sponsored

audioman2

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 3.5L POWERBOOST
Occupation
SW Engineer
Please do not disable this safety system. A silent electric car is 19% more likely to be involved in a pedestrian accident than a gas vehicle. It is 38% more likely to be in a bicycle collision. The NHTSA estimates that the warning noises would prevent 2,800 pedestrian and cyclist injuries during the life of each model year electric and hybrid vehicle.

It's also the law to have these systems now. Your insurance may not cover you if you injure or kill someone after disabling it.
I would like to do a quick pole, please post your age of driving, and post if you've hit a pedestrian or if you have not ?

= years of driving
0 = nope never hit anyone
1 = if yes, please post car details when you did so

so for me

28 yers of driving
0 = nope never hit a person with my vehicle

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
I would like to do a quick pole, please post your age of driving, and post if you've hit a pedestrian or if you have not ?

= years of driving
0 = nope never hit anyone
1 = if yes, please post car details when you did so

so for me

28 yers of driving
0 = nope never hit a person with my vehicle
14 years of driving
0 nope never hit anyone

audioman2

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
SW Engineer
When you unplugged the speaker and generated the warning, did it go away when reconnected or did it have to be reset (cleared) by forscan or some other diagnostic tool?
Same question, I plugged the speaker back in and I still get the error message in the dash, anyone know how to reset the error messages in the dash ?

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Ford seems to have forgotten that not everyone drives their trucks around people all day long.
It's not Ford, it is our Great Protector being all it can be... For some reason, we all must be SAFE in every single aspect of our lives. SAFE = whatever suits the GP's agenda at that second in time.

Spike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
Driving = 53 yrs
Pedestrian hit = 0
Fingers crossed to remain @ 0.

Thank da Gov't, who'd have thunk it?

Hybrid and Electric Cars Must Make Noise by 2020
The legislation, which has been lingering since 2010, will take effect, finally, really this time.

Way back in 2010, Congress declared that quiet vehicles such as electric and hybrid cars must make some kind of noise at low speeds to alert pedestrians, cyclists, and the blind to their presence. After many delays, this legislation was supposed to take effect Sep. 1, 2019, however, the U.S. Department of Transportation on Monday finalized rules requiring half of all hybrid and electric cars comply by that date, with the rest due to be in compliance by 2020.

At speeds below 18.6 mph, these cars will be required to emit some kind of noise to make their presence better known to others in the surrounding area. At higher speeds noise from the tires, wind, and elsewhere makes these devices unnecessary. Nissan had argued that the alert was only needed up to 12.4 mph, but the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration did not agree.

The NHTSA says that the new rules will help prevent 2,400 injuries each year by 2020. The agencey expects about 530,000 quiet vehicles will be equipped with audible alerts by 2020 at a cost of $40 million annually.

When I attended the Mount Washington Hillclimb last year, electric cars were required to run a siren at all times, regardless of their speed. These cars made little noise aside from the siren, so it was a good idea to have the additional warning to keep spectators and other people along the course safe, particularly at the speeds they were traveling.

Rather than a siren, which would be illegal for street use, regulators are considering allowing manufacturers to offer a variety of sounds their quiet vehicles can make, which the driver can select. It would be cool to make a Ford Fusion Hybrid sound like a classic Mustang, or a Toyota Prius sound like a turbo Supra or even the classic 4AGE from the AE86 Corolla and MR2. We can always hope.

Sponsored

Luis

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Construcción contractor
Brilliant ??
I couldnt stand the sound and backing up in my neighborhood which is fairly close quartered military housing was nothing but embarrassing. I used the white cap from the "tailgate delete kit" which happens to be the same connector as the speaker and used two 2.5mm pins and about 6" of wire soldered to a 25w 4ohm resistor then heat shrink and taped it up good and plugged it into the harness after unplugging the speaker. Works perfectly, no warning on the dash or codes thrown and it's nice and quiet now. Compared to my neighbors Tesla and Toyota ev my truck is still louder then theirs because of the I'm assuming ac pump and coolant pumps running.
4F6BA550-821D-476C-B148-2E6BB75D9BC2.jpeg
I couldnt stand the sound and backing up in my neighborhood which is fairly close quartered military housing was nothing but embarrassing. I used the white cap from the "tailgate delete kit" which happens to be the same connector as the speaker and used two 2.5mm pins and about 6" of wire soldered to a 25w 4ohm resistor then heat shrink and taped it up good and plugged it into the harness after unplugging the speaker. Works perfectly, no warning on the dash or codes thrown and it's nice and quiet now. Compared to my neighbors Tesla and Toyota ev my truck is still louder then theirs because of the I'm assuming ac pump and coolant pumps running.
4F6BA550-821D-476C-B148-2E6BB75D9BC2.jpeg
Good evening. Can you tell me exactly where the speaker is located? If you could also please let me know how you got to it that would be great. Thank you

Galavanta

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
Good evening. Can you tell me exactly where the speaker is located? If you could also please let me know how you got to it that would be great. Thank you
Left (drivers side) of the radiator on the Limited.

Ford F-150 Pedestrian Alert System - Anyone else annoyed by it? IMG_4570

USAFordW1E

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum SC PowerBoost
Occupation
AFJROTC Aerospace Science Instructor
I too was thinking of a relay option with a switch in the cabin. You could in a sense, turn it off on demand, say when you are not in a ped x-ing target-rich environment. Too bad you can't get the overhead upfitter switches like on the SD. That would be a great solution.

BRDVPRA

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 2021 Explorer ST
Occupation
Yep
I mean come on...at least let us select our noise! I'm thinking a P-51D in a full dive!

audioman2

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
SW Engineer
It's not Ford, it is our Great Protector being all it can be... For some reason, we all must be SAFE in every single aspect of our lives. SAFE = whatever suits the GP's agenda at that second in time.
But why do other hybrids have a much lower in volume? My neighbor just got a 2022 Pacifica Hybrid and no abnoxious beep sounds when backing up, and you can barely hear the hybrid ween sound. Now the Pacifica is not as large as a F150 but it ant small either.

if it needs to be there for a regulatory the amplitude should be based on real world needs.

I live at the end of the road. when I backup at my house, no one is around. the sound is not useful. when I drive down my road, I don't see or hit the next house or anyone for 3+ minutes but yet my F150 hybrid sound is so loud that birds, turkeys run away and I used to like to have my windows down.

I can't image anyone who owns a F150 would not cut the wire or drop in this (dummy load hack)

What I could wish is if somehow they could find out you are in a busy parking lot, turn on the backup beeps and or PSA sounds when it is needed. not 100% of the time.

Thats my 1/2 cent !
Sponsored