Sponsored

PCO expiring on March 31

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB
I have a PCO situation that I could use some advice on:
  • Received PCO from Ford for $2000 in early January - expiring on March 31.
  • Ordered a F150 on January 8, with PCO in mind
  • According to Ford vehicle order tracker - the vehicle has been BUILT (as of yesterday) and the Estimated Dealer Delivery 3/20/2021
So far so good. But, there is more than a catch:
  • The dealer has seen actual delivery dates from Ford to be upto 2+ weeks past the Estimated Dealer Delivery. So, even availability at the dealer before 3/31 is not confirmed.
  • The dealer is not local and it requires a flight to pick up. A very sensible advice from the dealer is to not show up (i.e. book a flight) before the vehicle has arrived.
  • The next part is a personal consideration. My wife and I are booked for our first vaccine shot on March 9-10 and assume the second shot will be on March 30-31. Given that one spends a bunch of time flying and then 2-3 days driving back, we'd much prefer to pick up in April - may be April 15th (to give vaccine time to work).
  • Already called Ford marketing. Got the standard line - the PCO cannot be extended.
If the vehicle arrives, I am open to paying for it by March 31st to get the $2000 cash, and pick up later. Of course, no recourse if the truck doesn't reach the dealership by March 31.

Any advice? Anything I am not thinking of?
Sponsored

Last edited:

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I have a PCO situation that I could use some advice on:
  • Received PCO from Ford for $2000 in early January - expiring on March 31.
  • Ordered a F150 on January 8, with PCO in mind
  • According to Ford vehicle order tracker - the vehicle has been BUILT (as of yesterday) and the Estimated Dealer Delivery 3/20/2021
So far so good. But, there is more than a catch:
  • The dealer has seen actual delivery dates from Ford to be upto 2+ weeks past the Estimated Dealer Delivery. So, even availability at the dealer before 3/31 is not confirmed.
  • The dealer is not local and it requires a flight to pick up. A very sensible advice from the dealer is to not show up (i.e. book a flight) before the vehicle has arrived.
  • The next part is a personal consideration. My wife and I are booked for our first vaccine shot on March 9-10 and assume the second shot will be on March 30-31. Given that one spends a bunch of time flying and then 2-3 days driving back, we'd much prefer to pick up in April - may be April 15th (to give vaccine time to work).
  • Already called Ford marketing. Got the standard line - the PCO cannot be extended.
If the vehicle arrives, I am open to paying for it by March 31st to get the $2000 cash, and pick up later. Of course, no recourse if the truck doesn't reach the dealership by March 31.

Any advice? Anything I am not thinking of?
Is the dealer Granger?

I hate to say it but my spidey sense says the PCO is a massive gamble. Depends on how you got it first time. On Jan 5th, a BUNCH of people got a brand new one right after theirs expired. The rest of us spent hours just trying for a popup and signing up for every bit of info under the sun on Ford's website to no avail. Myself and a few others had to get popups donated by very generous others. This would take time to do again and no guarantee, if you fall into the "not receiving new one April 1st" category, which is total crapshoot.

Regarding the vaccines, depending on sources you research, some sources have said based on observation now that even the 1st dose of pfizer/moderna is nearly 60% effective and nearly 100% against death. J&J is actually the strongest of them all but it was validated with only single dose rather than 2 dose. And the J&J is considered a full success even at 60-70% with a single shot. So the only efficacy we see in headlines are the trail results published *as validated*, meaning 2 doses with the others and 1 dose with J&J. So you can take that as you will and research further to make the best risk assessment for your family. I am not making a political statement at all, just scientific.

Lastly on shipping. If status says "Built" it has been "Released" on the internal detailed tracker, and should be awating shipment. It will take the I-80 route after splitting in Illinois, same route as me. Mine shipped 1/27 and just reached Cheyenne today, should hit SLC tomorrow. That would be 8 days to SLC, then yours would truck from there. I would say ONCE SHIPPED you can expect 10 days. Again, this is just data to help your risk assessment and planning.

Both my orders took nearly 1 month (25 days and 29 days) from production to reach that "Built" status so you are lucky in that regard. But then others also sit at the awaiting shipment state. So once you ship you can make MUCH firmer plans and expectations.

Good luck!

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is the dealer Granger?

I hate to say it but my spidey sense says the PCO is a massive gamble. Depends on how you got it first time. On Jan 5th, a BUNCH of people got a brand new one right after theirs expired. The rest of us spent hours just trying for a popup and signing up for every bit of info under the sun on Ford's website to no avail. Myself and a few others had to get popups donated by very generous others. This would take time to do again and no guarantee, if you fall into the "not receiving new one April 1st" category, which is total crapshoot.

Regarding the vaccines, depending on sources you research, some sources have said based on observation now that even the 1st dose of pfizer/moderna is nearly 60% effective and nearly 100% against death. J&J is actually the strongest of them all but it was validated with only single dose rather than 2 dose. And the J&J is considered a full success even at 60-70% with a single shot. So the only efficacy we see in headlines are the trail results published *as validated*, meaning 2 doses with the others and 1 dose with J&J. So you can take that as you will and research further to make the best risk assessment for your family. I am not making a political statement at all, just scientific.

Lastly on shipping. If status says "Built" it has been "Released" on the internal detailed tracker, and should be awating shipment. It will take the I-80 route after splitting in Illinois, same route as me. Mine shipped 1/27 and just reached Cheyenne today, should hit SLC tomorrow. That would be 8 days to SLC, then yours would truck from there. I would say ONCE SHIPPED you can expect 10 days. Again, this is just data to help your risk assessment and planning.

Both my orders took nearly 1 month (25 days and 29 days) from production to reach that "Built" status so you are lucky in that regard. But then others also sit at the awaiting shipment state. So once you ship you can make MUCH firmer plans and expectations.

Good luck!
Indeed, the dealer is Granger. But, it is ultimately not their issue. They can try to get Ford to honor the PCO but the decision to extend it beyond March 31 is Ford's.

For vaccines, there is a mad rush to get appointments. The appointments we have are for the Pfizer and that's what we are going to get. The point is not really convenient to get to Iowa in time for March 31. Even if the dealership receives the truck on, say, March 24th and they let us know - the short notice airfare is 3 to 4 times higher. That coupled with work constraints and Covid vaccination timing, we aren't going to get there before March 31. But, if the truck gets to the dealership - our money can get there in time.

The status is indeed BUILT. The sticker (attached) says RAIL towards the bottom. So, I am guessing that it is traveling by rail for the most part....

Thanks a lot for your comments!

--------------------------
Ford F-150 PCO expiring on March 31 Capture.GIF

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
Just go when you can. In the big scheme of things, $2k isn’t worth the extra worry.

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes. Of course, there are not too many moves on the chessboard here. And, we can live without the $2000, but losing it would not be a nice feeling either. So, we will definitely attempt to save it if we can.

Sponsored

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
On the vaccine, I would check with the provider. If you have the vaccine on the 10th, you are likely looking at 4 weeks (April 7th) at the earliest for dose 2 to be administered. That has been the running schedule for everyone I know who has received the vaccine.

I have purchased several cars from out of state without being there. If you want to use the PCO , it is not a difficult process. For that matter, what is the cost to ship it to you? I use a company that is generally very reasonable, especially if your looking at expensive plane flights.

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you! The gap between the two shots varies based upon the vaccine types - 21 days for Pfizer and 28 days for Moderna.

We plan to pick up in person. But, we can wire the money to the dealer, provided the dealer has received the truck before March 31.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
My truck (Platinum) in scheduled for delivery on the 17th of March. I am watching it closely and would be happy to keep you up to date on the progress. My dealer says trucks are routinely early, not late. Like my truck, I would think your truck is headed for Claycomo, then transferring to a semi for the final leg. Whenever my truck arrives, yours isn’t far behind.

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you! Like they say - your mouth to God’s ear!

Definitely interested in finding out your experience! Good luck!

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
Assuming your vehicle arrives by March 31st, I'd complete the transaction remotely via EFT for payment and electronic signatures (e.g., DocuSign). Just make sure dealer and bank are prepared and setup ahead of time in case you have to pull the trigger in the final hours.

Sponsored

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you! That’s indeed my thought. If goes down to the wire, I will check with the Fidelity how much notice they require for a wire transfer. Your suggestion is a good one.

SJLCJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX4, 2017 Mustang GT Premium
My dealer had told me that we can do the paperwork on the truck once it's on the way, doesn't have to be on the lot.. I was hesitant because who knows what condition it will be in when it arrives.. Much worse situation since you are not local... It's a roll of the dice for sure.. Good luck!

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have an excellent dealer in Albert / Granger Ford that I trust. I am sure they will advise if it goes down to the wire.

jwgreene

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT supercrew in leadfoot with 5.0
Can a PCO be used in conjunction with a College Student discount ($750) and whatever national incentive/rebate they have when the truck arrives?

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am not the expert on this but I believe PCO can be combined with other incentives. It cannot be combined with another PCO. But, someone else needs confirm if that is correct.
Sponsored