ZOSICK

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F 150 Lariat (on order)
Hello,
I have a 22 Platinum on order and there's still a window where I can add PB. Can I please get all of your thoughts on the PB. Likes and dislikes. Was it worth it and would you buy it again? Thanks! I see some videos of people loving and some not.
Sponsored

Algershick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I've got 6k miles on mine. I commute 62 miles per day with some hilly terrain and steep grade. I average 26MPG. I have found that gas plays a huge part on mileage - I've consistently gotten my best mileage using ethanol free 93 octane.

OP
OP

ZOSICK

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I like being able to idle and roll around in electric and the 7.2kw geny. In 1400 miles, I'm averaging 20-21mpg.
I'm sure some will have issues and some won't. If I'm being honest, I think I'm adding it to my build. The generator and less wear on the engine almost has me sold. I tow every weekend and do 75% of highway driving.

Algershick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I'm sure some will have issues and some won't. If I'm being honest, I think I'm adding it to my build. The generator and less wear on the engine almost has me sold. I tow every weekend and do 75% of highway driving.
Its pretty seamless when the gas engine cuts out and the electric motor takes over. If the stereo is on, Its hard to notice. Its a weird feeling at first looking at your gauge cluster and seeing zero oil pressure, though!

Sponsored

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I think that you're asking in a PowerBoost forum to get the answer you want … : )

fwiw.
RELIABILITY AND QUALITY
From what I've read here and across the Internet, the number of defects and lemons is typical of all F-150s, so choosing the PowerBoost isn't going to be a problem.
VALUE AND RESALE
If you don't want the 7.2kW, there's one strong case for the hybrid: resale value. This is an in-demand version of the F-150 and will continue to be valued. Adding the 7.2kW will be of great value, so I'd get it even if I didn't think I'd have much use for it. By the time you sell it, I imagine buyers will be "I'm shopping for one with the 7.2kW" and PowerBoosts without onboard power will be (far) less valuable.
Regardless of the personal preferences, I'd still choose it over any other engine Ford offers in the F-150 right now.
SATISFACTION AND OWNERSHIP
I've driven 16000 miles with zero failures. The transmission needed a service bulletin update, but obviously newer vehicles won't have the mistakes of the early vehicles.
I like the Platinum because it has tow mirrors as an option and the 360º cameras make it easy to maneuver in the city without worrying about risking a scratch.
I chose the 6.5 bed because I haul a lot of heavy, bulky equipment and I tow heavy, so the extra wheelbase is a safety and control advantage.
I also have the bed covered with the factory metal roll cover to lock away expensive gear from opportunistic thieves.
I like snow sports, so I want a bed that can handle a couple of feet of snow (not that everything remains dry in the bed, which is not okay, but at least I don't have to dig it out.)
I like the idea of the CCD but I haven't driven one with it. I chose FX4 and max tow and will get the factory leveling kit which includes longer travel dampers in the front.
SELF DRIVING
I'd get BlueCruise on any vehicle from now on. Ford's co-pilot is very good, especially for distance driving. I can't imagine paying $80K for a truck and not having self-driving in 2022 (safer and far more comfortable.)
CHOOSE YOUR DEALERSHIP
From what I've read, even the people who got a lemon or had a bad dealership still appreciated the truck, just not their unlucky experiences.

My next F-150 will be a Lightning parked beside this PowerBoost, which I hope to one day replace with a plug-in PowerBoost in a few years.

Last edited:
OP
OP

ZOSICK

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the reply's guys, I really appreciate it! I ordered my Platinum with BAP, so it's going to be a long wait and lot's of forum reading lol.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I will NEVER be without a Powerboost ever again. Of course the "utility" might not be limited to the one and only F150, as it is today, but what I now expect from a pickup truck is forever changed.

I still wish I could be a fly on the wall in the first meeting that someone mentioned the concept. Whoever the clever person was that was thinking outside of the box should be pretty popular in the walls of Ford today.

What a gamechanger. In XL to Limited its just brilliant.

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
Love it. May never go back to a non-hybrid truck.

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
I've had my XLT PB since Feb, and it's a January build of the truck. I opted for the 2.4KW version of the model as I was eager to get the truck at the dealership and I didn't see a need for the 7.2kW version.

I don't see that changing, and I've used Pro Power about 4 times this year, for camping. The truck has been a host for MMA fights powering a TV and streaming device, has powered hotplates and coffee pots, has charged laptops, c-pap machines, external batteries, powered an electric space heater, lighting, sound, all kinds of stuff.

That being said, when the day comes for me to trade the truck in, then I'll opt for the 7.2Kw version. I'm not a homeowner, nor do I own a large RV, but I will, and that version would be preferable. But I'm just saying that the 2.4kw version is perfectly fine and has sold my friends on the platform.

6K miles in, my Hybrid Drive Unit burned out. Was covered by warranty but it took 40 days to get it resolved. Ended up getting a brand new transmission. That was roughly May/June of this year. Was very aggravating, had to fight the dealer at every turn. I don't necessarily blame Ford for it, I just blame the dealer network. It's been hard to find a competent, honest dealer here in Central Texas.

Once the transmission was replaced, I've had another 11k miles on the truck. All problem free. My current biggest gripe is an occasional rattle in driver side door handle (I'll be addressing this soon), and the Pedestrian Sounder that makes backing up sound like you're driving a UPS parcel truck. Fortunately, there's a member on these very forums that has a solution, and I've ordered a setup from him that should remove that sound.

What I love about this truck? It's smooth, fast, and quiet. I'm not a fan of head rattling noise, and I just love how this truck is an absolute sleeper. My friend was following me in his Tundra, and he told me how hard of a time he was having to keep up with me...and I was driving just how I normally drive.

It's a great mobile office thanks to hybrid idle. I've slept in this truck overnight, I've done a lot of work in the cabin of this truck comfortably and quietly. Battery idle keeps the AC cool, no nauseous fumes, hotspot is fast enough to have covered my needs to handle conference calls and remote logins for my Enterprise IT level job.

That may explain my lifetime average mileage, which is about 20.7 MPG. I don't blame the truck, just my heavy right foot. If the conditions are right, I've gotten 100+ mile trips out of this truck that clock in 23 MPG on the highway, and lots of city trips 25 - 28 MPG.

Towing with the truck is fine, and I've kept my expectations realistic. Which is to say I've gotten 14 - 16 MPG towing my dad's bass boat. I just needed to lock out gear 9 and occasionally gear 8 to keep it out of boost.

I've been in some very heavy flash floods in this truck, no electrical issues. Run it through a car wash every week.

I love the way it looks, and I get compliments on it wherever I go. I plan to keep it as long as my extended warranty lasts, and then as long as I can after that. Very happy with this purchase. This truck has sold me on the future of electrified trucks. I was looking at the 2022 Tundra, and I think Toyota really missed what Ford sees, which is the promise of people using their truck as a mobile command center. From this truck, I can provide myself and my friends power and comfort. I can do my job. I can even stay overnight in comfort. And look good doing it.

Sponsored

Wookie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Platinum Powerboost
I have just over 14,000 trouble free miles on my 7.2. Love the truck, I'd buy it again tomorrow. Living in a hurricane prone part of the country it gives me some piece of mind to have a large on board geny, not to mention it costs less than what I could get a similar one at a big box store for. Get it, you won't regret it.

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
I've had my XLT PB since Feb, and it's a January build of the truck. I opted for the 2.4KW version of the model as I was eager to get the truck at the dealership and I didn't see a need for the 7.2kW version.

I don't see that changing, and I've used Pro Power about 4 times this year, for camping. The truck has been a host for MMA fights powering a TV and streaming device, has powered hotplates and coffee pots, has charged laptops, c-pap machines, external batteries, powered an electric space heater, lighting, sound, all kinds of stuff.

That being said, when the day comes for me to trade the truck in, then I'll opt for the 7.2Kw version. I'm not a homeowner, nor do I own a large RV, but I will, and that version would be preferable. But I'm just saying that the 2.4kw version is perfectly fine and has sold my friends on the platform.

6K miles in, my Hybrid Drive Unit burned out. Was covered by warranty but it took 40 days to get it resolved. Ended up getting a brand new transmission. That was roughly May/June of this year. Was very aggravating, had to fight the dealer at every turn. I don't necessarily blame Ford for it, I just blame the dealer network. It's been hard to find a competent, honest dealer here in Central Texas.

Once the transmission was replaced, I've had another 11k miles on the truck. All problem free. My current biggest gripe is an occasional rattle in driver side door handle (I'll be addressing this soon), and the Pedestrian Sounder that makes backing up sound like you're driving a UPS parcel truck. Fortunately, there's a member on these very forums that has a solution, and I've ordered a setup from him that should remove that sound.

What I love about this truck? It's smooth, fast, and quiet. I'm not a fan of head rattling noise, and I just love how this truck is an absolute sleeper. My friend was following me in his Tundra, and he told me how hard of a time he was having to keep up with me...and I was driving just how I normally drive.

It's a great mobile office thanks to hybrid idle. I've slept in this truck overnight, I've done a lot of work in the cabin of this truck comfortably and quietly. Battery idle keeps the AC cool, no nauseous fumes, hotspot is fast enough to have covered my needs to handle conference calls and remote logins for my Enterprise IT level job.

That may explain my lifetime average mileage, which is about 20.7 MPG. I don't blame the truck, just my heavy right foot. If the conditions are right, I've gotten 100+ mile trips out of this truck that clock in 23 MPG on the highway, and lots of city trips 25 - 28 MPG.

Towing with the truck is fine, and I've kept my expectations realistic. Which is to say I've gotten 14 - 16 MPG towing my dad's bass boat. I just needed to lock out gear 9 and occasionally gear 8 to keep it out of boost.

I've been in some very heavy flash floods in this truck, no electrical issues. Run it through a car wash every week.

I love the way it looks, and I get compliments on it wherever I go. I plan to keep it as long as my extended warranty lasts, and then as long as I can after that. Very happy with this purchase. This truck has sold me on the future of electrified trucks. I was looking at the 2022 Tundra, and I think Toyota really missed what Ford sees, which is the promise of people using their truck as a mobile command center. From this truck, I can provide myself and my friends power and comfort. I can do my job. I can even stay overnight in comfort. And look good doing it.
I love the review and it covers many things I’m hoping for out of my PB when I get it in Feb.

A camp / command center where my son and I can sleep in the fold flat seats in a pinch while camping / road tripping, electric hot plates and electric kettles to avoid propane logistics, an electric blanket with camping out ought to be a treat, same for electric parabolic heaters etc. I see having 110V available in the sticks as a huge differentiator.

We have an ebike along with our MTBs. Being able to charge that on a long trip would be sweet because the charger pulls too much power for most portable inverters.

And being able to occasionally work my remote tech job out of the truck just sounds too good to be true. :)

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 & 2018 MX5's, 2021 F150 PB Platinum
I'm sold! Love extra power, the MPG when not using the extra power, and the generator

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Love it. Everything has already been said. Very glad I bought it.

powerboost

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost loaded
Occupation
retired technician
I agree with all above. I have a custom ordered totally loaded Lariat 502A PB FX4 7.2KW since August 2 and love it. No problems so far but only have 2400 miles. I expect some problems someday with this much tech so I bought 8 yr 100,000 mile zero deductible, all lighting assemblies covered, and first day rental car from Ziegler for $2,130 up front on % money back Costco Citi card. Will be easy sell truck to private party as its transferable.
Sponsored