Sponsored

PB F-150 lariat vs Cybertruck triple motor

redactedAlias

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 powerboost platinum, 18 road king special
Honestly, for the same reason cultures all over the world haven't moved past old stigmas and beliefs. For the same reason America has 2 stark different social viewpoints with a minority in the middle trying to make them both work. Change is scary and anxiety inducing. It's much easier to change slowly (gas to fully hybrid such as powerboost, or a high mpg small diesel) then an abrupt change like full gas to full electric. Most people will only take a long (400+ mile per day) trip in their car twice a year, not including round trip. A lot just fly instead. But the "what if I take a long drive or run out of electricity and have to wait an hour, or even find a station" thought is their reasoning for not adapting.

I could be wrong, but I think full electric is going to continue an uphill battle until people are slowly exposed to it. The best thing tesla and other full electric manufacturers could do, again in my opinion, is start offering rentals at cheaper rates then a normal rental and have roadside assistance of some sort if it runs out of electricity. They really should put in a 30mi emergency backup battery into them and advertise it as well. Tradesman driving the full electric lightning all day every day should help. Once that anxiety of actually completing a trip and knowing what it's like first hand has been smothered, people will be much more apt to look at their every day use much more realistically rather than getting caught up in a 'what if' scenario.
Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning(reserved)
All this conjecture is based on Elon's information. Elon has a history of overpromising and underdelivering. I think spec wise Tesla and F150 would be a lot closer than Elon would want you to believe, and that's assuming Tesla can get the cybertruck to market anytime soon. They had aat least a 2yr head start vs the Lightning and appear to be nowhere near ready. By contrast the Lightning looks like something that you could but off the lot today.

Then there's the build quality issues.... the Tesla honeymoon is just about over....

Edit: I misread the question and thought this was Lightning vs CT. I'll leave it in case anyone cares, but I'm not a fan of how Tesla conducts business. If I'm spending $50, 60 or 70k on a truck I want something better than the JV team effort....

Last edited:

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
I believe the question is "F-150 vs Cybertruck...?" so it's not just about the Powerboost.

For me it's easy - a full-electric truck is not going to work for me at this time. I want an American truck from an established builder, and I need a 7.2 KW generator, so I bought the Powerboost.

I told my wife if she wants a Lightening F-150, we'd order one. The Cybertruck is not a contender in our house.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning(reserved)

FtS

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback
I could be wrong, but I think full electric is going to continue an uphill battle until people are slowly exposed to it.
I cannot say your assessment is wrong, but I have a different view. First, I'll state that I never considered an all-electric vehicle previously until the Lightning came about. Now, their features and capabilities are immensely attractive and I am seriously considering one, although not the Cybertruck. If I can be turned around, I am positive most people can be as well, the transition may not be that far long.

The power source is not an issue for me, actually I see it as an advantage. However, Three things are holding me back:
(1) I am not quite ready to embrace the exterior designs, and not just the Cybertruck, but even the Rivian or others. I can get over the Rivian design and accept it, but an F150 just looks so much better to my eyes.
(2) Interior designs are too minimalistic. I really despise vehicles in which they move the majority of the functionality into software that I have to interact via a large screen. While driving, I do not want to try to slide the volume for the radio, or jump through a couple of different menus to change air venting, etc. Even in my Subaru today, to deactivate the super-annoying collusion sensor, I have to hit five different soft buttons on the screen, which drives me nuts.
And finally (3) besides the design of the controls, the interiors of these trucks are not as functional as classic trucks IMO. I think this has something to do with Ford, RAM, Chevy, Toyota having learned about the use cases of their customer base over decades. Some simple touches in the Gen14 F150 are so attractive to me from the work surface to rear folding seats creating immense flat space to the propower inverter/generator; the list is actually quite long.

As a final note, I am not writing any of this as a fanboy, I never owned an F150 or any Ford to date, and I am a senior who had his fair share of cars in my lifetime. Also, I am not against technology, I actually make my living in the field of technology.

There are lots of conflicts in me that I have to resolve before committing to all-electric. What I want is an F150 Raptor exterior and interior with the power and chassis of a Rivian R1T or a Raptor Lightning :)

Sponsored

redactedAlias

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 powerboost platinum, 18 road king special
I cannot say your assessment is wrong, but I have a different view. First, I'll state that I never considered an all-electric vehicle previously until the Lightning came about. Now, their features and capabilities are immensely attractive and I am seriously considering one, although not the Cybertruck. If I can be turned around, I am positive most people can be as well, the transition may not be that far long.

The power source is not an issue for me, actually I see it as an advantage. However, Three things are holding me back:
(1) I am not quite ready to embrace the exterior designs, and not just the Cybertruck, but even the Rivian or others. I can get over the Rivian design and accept it, but an F150 just looks so much better to my eyes.
(2) Interior designs are too minimalistic. I really despise vehicles in which they move the majority of the functionality into software that I have to interact via a large screen. While driving, I do not want to try to slide the volume for the radio, or jump through a couple of different menus to change air venting, etc. Even in my Subaru today, to deactivate the super-annoying collusion sensor, I have to hit five different soft buttons on the screen, which drives me nuts.
And finally (3) besides the design of the controls, the interiors of these trucks are not as functional as classic trucks IMO. I think this has something to do with Ford, RAM, Chevy, Toyota having learned about the use cases of their customer base over decades. Some simple touches in the Gen14 F150 are so attractive to me from the work surface to rear folding seats creating immense flat space to the propower inverter/generator; the list is actually quite long.

As a final note, I am not writing any of this as a fanboy, I never owned an F150 or any Ford to date, and I am a senior who had his fair share of cars in my lifetime. Also, I am not against technology, I actually make my living in the field of technology.

There are lots of conflicts in me that I have to resolve before committing to all-electric. What I want is an F150 Raptor exterior and interior with the power and chassis of a Rivian R1T or a Raptor Lightning :)
I agree fully that some things need physical buttons for safety. Not everything can be on screen options without really good voice activated interior technology

Reactions: FtS

GripworksCo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Hybrid Super Crew 6.5 FX4
Occupation
Film Video Production
That's not true. I've built a Lariat SCrew 4x2 502A with max tow, Unleashed B&O, Powerboost and other packages. X-Plan pricing is $59,305.

Totally agree with you on the rest.

1608078805652.png
This is nearly fully loaded...
Ford F-150 PB F-150 lariat vs Cybertruck triple motor BigJilm Window Sticker
Quite a bit more

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
I second what everyone else thinks. You did say fully loaded, and with today’s truck options, you can still tack on 15,000 or so options on top of the lariat high. I wanted a Lariat, loaded. So I know a full loaded Lariat High with Blue Cruise Prep (requires 360 package), Max Tow Package, moon roof, b&o unleashed, 7.2KW gen, and 20 inch wheels it was about 800 dollars cheaper than the Platinum. The lariat that I wanted didn’t exist, so I got the platinum with the options I needed that was available, which was around 74.

This is a lariat I tried to get them to sell me, but they didn’t have it in inventory yet, and I wasn’t waiting for someone that wasn’t going to call me back about a truck they didn’t have.

But anyway, this is a loaded lariat and this is the cost $73,215

Ford F-150 PB F-150 lariat vs Cybertruck triple motor 421616A4-94D9-4DF2-A98C-FDEF640F7D90

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
A fully loaded lariat is nearly identical to the base platinum, so the cost difference is minimal. I honestly didn’t want the platinum, because people associate that with money.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
Going feature for feature you need at least a lariat to match any cybertruck. To get 360 camera you need a 502A, Powerboost to match the power output, 4x4 obviously, you end up paying very close to the same amount. Obvious the forum is biased, but why F-150 instead? 2.9s 0-60, 500 miles of range, no worries about maintenance and much lower running costs (3 miles per kwh roughly vs 24ish mpg if you can keep your foot out of it). Looks are obviously polarizing.
One negative for the Cybertruck is that if it is your choice you have been walking for the past 2 years and still will be a year from now. To have bought into a promise of 500 miles of range and to somehow think there was enough reality in it's design to be making trim level comparisons to an actual existing product is.....well, it's kinda groupie level stuff.
Sponsored