First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost, 2011 explorer ltd
Occupation
Knowledge Manager, use PB as my office.
Hey fellow PBers! I find I am fairly confident in how typical vehicles work with regard to engine, drivetrain, brakes, starters, charge systems, sensors, etc. however it seems there is a lot more under the good of the PB. Is there a complete overview of each drive train component, not just the onboard manual, but something that describes how the electric motor is used to start the vehicle? Maybe explain when the truck starts to charge the battery, the rpm seems dead steady… but there are little vibrations that I would have thought was a misfire, but no codes, no lights. Another example, how does the brakes work, I know it has regenerative braking via the drive train, but when do the pads start pushing on the rotor? Are they still hydraulic, or motor driven? If some budding you rubber would do a detailed walk around on a lift, that’s would be awesome!
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
That's going to take quite the dissertation! As you stated, it's a rather complex ensemble of components and software wizardry. :)

The forum is loaded with information regarding, but obviously not in an organized manner.

If you are really interested, the official Ford service manual is 15,000 pages + and it IS organized. At least in a category way.

Not an inexpensive work, but definitely containing enough to make sense of how the truck works.

MJ Heat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RCLB 5.0/2022 Powerboost/2023 Maverick Hybrid
Hey fellow PBers! I find I am fairly confident in how typical vehicles work with regard to engine, drivetrain, brakes, starters, charge systems, sensors, etc. however it seems there is a lot more under the good of the PB. Is there a complete overview of each drive train component, not just the onboard manual, but something that describes how the electric motor is used to start the vehicle? Maybe explain when the truck starts to charge the battery, the rpm seems dead steady… but there are little vibrations that I would have thought was a misfire, but no codes, no lights. Another example, how does the brakes work, I know it has regenerative braking via the drive train, but when do the pads start pushing on the rotor? Are they still hydraulic, or motor driven? If some budding you rubber would do a detailed walk around on a lift, that’s would be awesome!
You are much like me, when I got my Powerboost. I am an analytical & wanted to understand how everything worked in this incredibly complex machine. Now 7 months & 11k miles later, I still learn more about it every day. There is a lot to learn, & much of it has to be learned experientially, or from others here on this site that have learned or figured out things themselves.

You must eat an elephant 1 bite at a time. You will get great help from folks here, like snakebitten, if you ask specific questions. Asking for the complete overview on the Powerboost is akin to asking for a complete explanation as to how the universe works. The fact that the service manual is 15k pages is a clear indication of the vast amount of info needed for a comprehensive overview on this truck.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well said!
Gonna take some seat time and reading. It's here somewhere. Much has been dissected 2 years in now.

OP
OP
PowerboostedF150

PowerboostedF150

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Well said!
Gonna take some seat time and reading. It's here somewhere. Much has been dissected 2 years in now.
All very good points, thank you. As someone who does do some programming, I am slightly more aware of the potential complexities, butI guess I am just not used to dealing with it in a vehicle. It’s going in to the dealer two days from now, I will be providing a printed list of issues, reproduce conditions (which seems to be random) where from one day to the next, it’s fine, then not fine, then fine again. Thankfully the ford pass app records the trouble events. Freeze frame data will confirm details which usually occurs when it’s parked and ‘on’. This truck is becoming a love-hate relationship! I love the truck, the features, the 7.2, the looks, all of it. But the randomness, unpredictability of it have me worried that if the dealer simply reprograms a module, without implementing a newer version of the code for the module, the it would make sense that it will fail again, just when it’s out of warranty. - which is why I want to arm myself with as much knowledge as I can. I don’t trust dealers, but yet I have to. - but for the money these trucks cost, we shouldn’t need to be arm chair mechanics, software engineers or magicians to simply own one and to not allow a dealer to weasel out of ‘well known’ issues.
It’s only due to this forum that we have a chance at getting t the bottom of the real issues.

does anyone know if the dealer can see ‘all’ vehicle history even from the original owner? I am curious if the issues I am having have happened before the 63k that I bought it at. It’s now 70k, and I have a long list of powertrain faults over the last 4 months.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, a dealership, or anyone with access to Oasis can see the entire history of the vehicle.
Even someone with FDRS can see anything done with FDRS, especially any module updates performed.

OP
OP
PowerboostedF150

PowerboostedF150

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Yes, a dealership, or anyone with access to Oasis can see the entire history of the vehicle.
Even someone with FDRS can see anything done with FDRS, especially any module updates performed.
Great! I was thinking of getting FDRS, just want the dealer to do what they can first! Thanks.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
I am learning that while some of the PB tech is completely unique, there are some features that are pretty common among hybrids. A poster here mentioned his Maverick hybrid. I went digging and discovered items like electric AC compressors and the electric motor unit being part of the transmission for example are not new to the world of hybrids. The commitment to power over maximizing mpg leading the design choices for the PB has taken it to the pinnacle of hybrid vehicle development to date imo. Other than initial powertrain cost, what am I giving up? Power? no Driveability? no Range? no MPG? no In fact, the PB is at or near the top in all those categories! Middle of the pack payload #s and premium drivetrain charge. That's the downside, but look at what it gets compared to! Tricked out Tremors and Raptors! It's the ultimate Daddy truck sleeper lol. If you look down at the side and see my PowerBoost emblem, just don't lol.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I am learning that while some of the PB tech is completely unique, there are some features that are pretty common among hybrids. A poster here mentioned his Maverick hybrid. I went digging and discovered items like electric AC compressors and the electric motor unit being part of the transmission for example are not new to the world of hybrids. The commitment to power over maximizing mpg leading the design choices for the PB has taken it to the pinnacle of hybrid vehicle development to date imo. Other than initial powertrain cost, what am I giving up? Power? no Driveability? no Range? no MPG? no In fact, the PB is at or near the top in all those categories! Middle of the pack payload #s and premium drivetrain charge. That's the downside, but look at what it gets compared to! Tricked out Tremors and Raptors! It's the ultimate Daddy truck sleeper lol. If you look down at the side and see my PowerBoost emblem, just don't lol.
The tremor is just a couple body mods unless you spec for the torsen. That's about the only thing you can't readily bolt up. The 4H locking xfer case requires a custom driveshaft for the PB due to its lengthened bellhousing. Its front half shafts are stock sans 1 part that is raptor CV, they're $250 or so but I've yet to hear someone break a standard 4WD unit.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
The tremor is just a couple body mods unless you spec for the torsen. That's about the only thing you can't readily bolt up. The 4H locking xfer case requires a custom driveshaft for the PB due to its lengthened bellhousing. Its front half shafts are stock sans 1 part that is raptor CV, they're $250 or so but I've yet to hear someone break a standard 4WD unit.
How about the Tremor rear end? Is that stock EB? I could be wrong. I'm new to F150's and am impressed with the lineup. I was using the phrase "tricked out" due to the HO engine and 4.10 gear in the Raptor and the 3.73 in the Tremor. The PB manages to get 20+ mpg with a 3.73 rear end somehow lol.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
How about the Tremor rear end? Is that stock EB? I could be wrong. I'm new to F150's and am impressed with the lineup. I was using the phrase "tricked out" due to the HO engine and 4.10 gear in the Raptor and the 3.73 in the Tremor. The PB manages to get 20+ mpg with a 3.73 rear end somehow lol.
That's because there's low parasitic drag on the motor. The belt-driven 12v generator rarely runs, the AC is HVDC powered, and any acceleration brings in the e-motor to full. It then siphons power to recharge itself when coasting or regen braking. That adds up. On the highway at speed the 3.5 and PB are about the same sans the ability to capture down-hill coasting energy and push it back out on uphill. If you cruise at say 45MPH, you'll find the ICE turning on and off saving fuel.
Sponsored