Payload #'s

Blue Spruce

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT 302 Screw, 6.5’, 3.5 EB
I agree with you that expecting to tow (in all conditions: altitude, grade, crosswind) right at the tow limit is a recipe for potential disaster. But I'm talking barely able to "legally" tow 50% of the tow rating.

I also understand the typical answer is move up to SuperDuty, which of course does have much more payload and trailering. Just right now, you can't get Sync4 or ProPower (among other things, like Max Recline, etc) in a F250/350.

But on the point of it would be nice to have everything... all the options and all the payload, that's not what I was looking for. It's just if you want a PB (for RVing) you are severely limited (way below max rating) in trailer size AND it didn't have to be, Ford makes a F150 7850 GVWR spec. The PB with Max Tow should be built (if in fact ANYTHING else is actually needed) and then TESTED and SPEC'D to 7850.

In my humble opinion....
Technically, I can legally tow at the limit, but I’d be by myself and only have half a tank of gas So that doesn’t get me anywhere. I think it would be nice to get HDPP with the 302 sport package. Fords optioning/combinations are a little odd in my opinion.

I looked at F250 also but like you I wanted the big screen and some other creature comforts for the 95% of the time i don’t pull anything. plus, I think the ride is way better when the 150 is empty versus a 250.
Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, that chart was put together by someone working hard from data he could gather. I'm basing my statement on the actual Ford spec publication. Page 34 of the 2021 F-150 Weights & Specs document. However that post may be correct, as it's hard to tell whether PB automatically get the HPP frame (see below). Regardless, if you look at all the pieces (tire rating, wheel rating, axle rating, suspension rating) for both Front and Rear and add it together they are always greater than the GVWR rating (which is normal for any vehicle) but also greater than 7850lb. The only thing we can't see explicitly that is holding PB back to a GVWR of 7350lb is either the frame (see below) or it's just what they wanted to test and verify to. I'm not sure in the beginning Ford realized what they had with the PB as far as RVing. Most of the early marketing was pointed at Construction and Power tools. They did raise the PB GVWR by 300lb pounds (as everything else, besides HDPP was a max of 7050lb). So they realized they would have almost NO payload if they didn't test and spec to at least 7350lb, when adding the PB battery and electric motor. My point is they should have recognized the RV/trailer market place for PB, (which is only available on heavier up trim models) and speced it to the known high limit of 7850lb.
2021 F150 Frame Specs.jpg

You can see for a SuperCrew 4x4 there are 2 Frame specs, one is HD (heavy duty, but just means normal for the SuperCrew) and the HPP (High Payload Package). But from the chart you can't tell what a PB build gets.
I did all that same studying on weights and specs in the months when I was still waiting for my order. That frame and the rear 4800# axle are the 2 major gaps to the HDPP that the Powerboost cannot get. But that arbitrary extra 300# GVWR on the PB vs EB? They got it just by adding 300# on the front axle, all other components equal.

How did they arrive at 7350# for PB while EB is 7050#? As someone in engineering and knowing how long the validation and certification process is for a *complete system*, I don't think they have the time and resources to test the entire system at say, every increment of 50#. I think they pick a number they think they can safely push, then do the full testing at that number and seal of approval it. I think they knew 7050# was an easy number to hit for EB (based on 2020 testing) and knew they needed to push the PB higher or else the payload spec would be garbage, so they tested at 7350#. Can the PB do say, 7600#? Probably, but they would have had to do the full months long process at that loading as well. The individual components are much easier to stress test and have a spec (like frame, springs, etc) but once it is integrated as a system it is so much harder to stress to failure to see where the limit is.

Anyway, this is all just my theory because I was going insane waiting for my truck and overthought everything. I do think that if the HDPP package was offered on powerboosts, SO many of us would have gotten it, even if the ride was stiffer. Peace of mind would have been awesome and all the nitpicking at the option weights and upper trims on these forums would have been moot.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I really think that Ford would like to eliminate as many of the heavier duty options on the F150 to meet CAFE standards as long as the SuperDuty is exempt. They can only sell so many Escape and Bronco Sport crossovers.

I also feel Ford missed the mark when marketing Powerboost. People in the trades are practical when it comes to their equipment and are suspicious of new products. Why have a truck that’s a generator when you can have a truck and a generator? Or better yet, just rent a generator and pass on the cost to the customer. Any small time contractors or a handyman are driving ten year old trucks. However for some bizarre reason, the guys in every marketing department thinks that showing a guy in a hardhat cutting a 2x4 with a miter saw on the tailgate is going to sell more trucks.

On the other hand, the Powerboost is really the perfect match for those going on trips with a travel trailer. You would think it would be a no brainer to offer the longbed crewcab with the maximum GVWR in Powerboost. Though with the popularity of the Powerboost in the F150, one wonders if perhaps Ford might get a few more years out of the 6.2 by matching it with similar technology in the Superduty trucks.

The frame thicknesses aren’t that huge of a difference, though compared with older trucks they’re thinner overall. I would like to know what the weight difference is in the different frames on an identical wheelbase truck because I can’t imagine it’s that different, though it all starts to make sense when you make almost a million trucks in a given year.

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
It’s crazy how much you gotta watch payload in the half ton trucks.
My truck is configured very similar to OP. I got 1694lbs of payload.

I sometimes think I would want a lariat with even more bells and whistles but then I think about how it’s a delicate balance with payload and feel like the 302A strikes that balance well.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
I really think that Ford would like to eliminate as many of the heavier duty options on the F150 to meet CAFE standards as long as the SuperDuty is exempt. They can only sell so many Escape and Bronco Sport crossovers.
Completely agree with the rest of your response. But on the first paragraph (above), is where I think FORD missed the boat. The PB EPA rating does the most ever for bringing them up to meet CAFE when selling F150. So more PB the better for them (at 24 mpg). So give us the payload and market as an RVer's delight as well as an awesome daily driver.... Seems no brainer...

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I also feel Ford missed the mark when marketing Powerboost. People in the trades are practical when it comes to their equipment and are suspicious of new products. Why have a truck that’s a generator when you can have a truck and a generator? Or better yet, just rent a generator and pass on the cost to the customer. Any small time contractors or a handyman are driving ten year old trucks. However for some bizarre reason, the guys in every marketing department thinks that showing a guy in a hardhat cutting a 2x4 with a miter saw on the tailgate is going to sell more trucks.
Exactly! So in 10 years all the contractors will be buying our used powerboosts as their work trucks. Plant the marketing seeds now to create the market in a few years, for our resale benefits :p

My daughter has a 2010 ranger and works at a big nursery for a month now. She's already had 3 customers want to buy her truck, they were likely gardeners or landscapers. They don't want brand new shiny trucks.

Blue Spruce

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT 302 Screw, 6.5’, 3.5 EB
On the other hand, the Powerboost is really the perfect match for those going on trips with a travel trailer. You would think it would be a no brainer to offer the longbed crewcab with the maximum GVWR in Powerboost.
In theory, yes there is a segment that would find this useful. But, the vast majority of people with travel trailers are parked at an RV park or a state park that has electric hookups. Very few RV’rs are boondocking And fewer still east of the Mississippi where dispersed camping is less available. I know there are some out there and I’m sure one will respond to this and tell me I don’t know what I’m talking about. I do admit that once in a while I can see where we could use it but I also have a small Honda invertor generator that is portable, fairly quiet and doesnt use up my payload if I put it in the trailer.

having said all that, if i knew for sure that I could have gotten as much payload as I have on this truck with the powerboost and the options I wanted I would have been tempted. At the time I ordered there were no payload stickers out yet and I just didn’t want to take a chance.

maybe in a few years...

Reactions: J-C

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB

Big Truck Big RV does a great job going over the wild swings in payloads for differently configured trucks.

The F250 @ the 2:45 mark totally caught me off guard. Goes to show that, at least strictly from a payload standpoint, jumping up into Super Duty doesn't always get you a more capable truck.
Stepping up to a 3/4 ton truck can sometimes come up majorly short. My buddy’s loaded up Ram 2500 with mega cab and the Diesel has just under 1700 lbs of payload. It’s crazy to me to have that much truck and that much power and have that low of a payload. He could never hook up a 5th wheel or large trailer.

John_C

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A PowerBoost
Exactly! So in 10 years all the contractors will be buying our used powerboosts as their work trucks. Plant the marketing seeds now to create the market in a few years, for our resale benefits :p

My daughter has a 2010 ranger and works at a big nursery for a month now. She's already had 3 customers want to buy her truck, they were likely gardeners or landscapers. They don't want brand new shiny trucks.
Around my area (Chicago), a big majority of the contractors drive newer fleets of trucks. Tons of new f series trucks and transit vans, etc. I use my 302A for a work truck also. The powerboost gets great mileage, the 7.2 kWh keeps all of my guys going without lugging around generators and gas cans, and it pulls our machinery well. I've pulled 10,000 pounds thus far, and plan to pull 12,000 in the coming weeks. It's the perfect truck. Payload isn't too bad considering it's a powerboost, either.
Ford F-150 Payload #'s 20210413_135457
Ford F-150 Payload #'s 20210403_073611
Ford F-150 Payload #'s 20210424_103928

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
In theory, yes there is a segment that would find this useful. But, the vast majority of people with travel trailers are parked at an RV park or a state park that has electric hookups. Very few RV’rs are boondocking And fewer still east of the Mississippi where dispersed camping is less available. I know there are some out there and I’m sure one will respond to this and tell me I don’t know what I’m talking about. I do admit that once in a while I can see where we could use it but I also have a small Honda invertor generator that is portable, fairly quiet and doesnt use up my payload if I put it in the trailer.

having said all that, if i knew for sure that I could have gotten as much payload as I have on this truck with the powerboost and the options I wanted I would have been tempted. At the time I ordered there were no payload stickers out yet and I just didn’t want to take a chance.

maybe in a few years...
Times are changing. Look into the growth of factory and aftermarket Solar Panels and Lithium Batteries for RVs, people are spending big bucks to not have to find a power pedestal. RV'ng west of the Mississippi you have at least a night on the road coming and going (more likely 2 or 3), just overnight sleep stops at Walmarts, Costcos, Cracker Barrels, etc. And all the National Forests and most of the National Park camping is not electrical (or at most about 10% of the sites have electrical).

Sponsored

Hawkeye

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX
Occupation
Military
The CCLB XL I picked up today has 1990lb payload. I was pleasantly surprised.

Ford F-150 Payload #'s photo0

OP
OP
SportySpace

SportySpace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport 3.5
Stepping up to a 3/4 ton truck can sometimes come up majorly short. My buddy’s loaded up Ram 2500 with mega cab and the Diesel has just under 1700 lbs of payload. It’s crazy to me to have that much truck and that much power and have that low of a payload. He could never hook up a 5th wheel or large trailer.
Wow, that's crazy low for a 3/4 ton diesel. Ram's rear coils on the 2500 make for a comfortable ride...but at the expense of capability.

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
Wow, that's crazy low for a 3/4 ton diesel. Ram's rear coils on the 2500 make for a comfortable ride...but at the expense of capability.
I think the mega cab adds a ton of weight to the vehicle. It's like having a small SUV and then a 6.5 ft bed.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
According to the technical specs, the base crewcab f150 isn’t that more heavy than the base single cab, though I imagine that disparity is greater when using steel doors and cabs.

Ford F-150 Payload #'s 6D50B626-4EC6-42F5-A078-3D2967BE4E45

Looks like someone messed up making the table, just copy/pasting 4x2 5.5’ styleside into every heading :/ but anyone familiar with the model should be able to figure it out.

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
I know that feeling. Mine doesn’t have max tow, and only the 2.4 kw gen. I do have tow mirrors and skid plates. No wheel well liners, spray in box liner, or tonneau cover but all the rest. Liners, spray and cover to be done by the dealer.

Here is the payload I got before the. App was taken down.
And I need to add a heavy duty canoe rack, draw bar for the trailer plus the canoe , before wife and myself get in.

So I figure I might not even break 1000 pounds before any other payload

75E73EFE-1524-4B0B-9299-602E19368450.png
Where do you get this configure your trailer and payload screen? Seems super useful.
Sponsored