First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
There are quite a number of threads about powerboost payloads that you can find on here with a little bit of searching. In general, a nicely equipped 4x4 can be had with 1500-1600 lbs of payload, if you avoid a few of the heavier items (moonroof, bed utility package, power tailgate, power running boards, big wheels/tires). Mine is a '22 Lariat with 1831 lbs of payload, but it's a 4x2 (which I ordered on purpose because it saves ~300lbs in payload).

The total vehicle weight ratings take into account more than just combined axle weights. I'm not a mechanical engineer, so I don't know what the overall limiting factor might be. It may be one component (frame, suspension, etc.) that is the "weak link", or it could be a combination of several components that taken together become the limiting factor. Braking power might also be the reason--maybe the vehicle itself is plenty strong, but the brakes are only capable of slowing down a given mass in the required distance.
You do correctly point out that there are many threads regarding payload and some containing some great information, which you have contributed to -- thank you. However, the default search function for this site is terrible. If you search "payload" (I know, a board term), the first ten results are this thread then many "vs Cybertruck", and then the always present 5.0 vs powerboost acceleration comparison, then questions about new tires, etc. To get good search results, you have to use "Search with Google", but it isn't obvious that is what you need to use to get good results.
Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
I wouldn't put too much faith in those manufacturer-published tongue weights. My 24' trailer has a published tongue weight of 570lbs, but even the day I brought it home from the dealership it weighed a good deal more than that, after they put on the battery, propane tanks, etc. My trailer loaded with all of my regular camping gear (dishes, food, camp chairs, etc., but NOT water) has a tongue weight closer to 900lbs (+/- 50 lbs, depending upon what I bring and where I put it).

That 27' Flying Cloud will probably have a larger tongue weight than 1100lb once you put stuff in it, especially if you travel with full tanks.
Well thank goodness it’s out of my budget range!

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 5.0 (sold), 21 PB (sold), 22 5.0
Occupation
Gearhead!
I had a 21 500a PB crew cab short bed 4x4 lariat with 3 options

Copilot assist
Tow Tech
B&O 8speaker

Payload 1665. She was quick!

nitrobass24

Threads
Reaction score
Website
redboxplus.com
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum PB
Occupation
Roll offs and Porta-Potties
I have a 21 Plat PB with every nearly every option, except CCD/Scales & Max Tow. Mine is 1318lbs.
I don't do much towing, but did tow my wifes SUV back n forth on a trip to FL we went on so we would have two cars while were there. Didnt seem to be an issue.

Sponsored

wrgrimes

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch standard; PowerBoost; 2WD; 7.2Kw
That’s a pretty big trailer. Flying Cloud 27FB has a published tongue weight of #850.
Agree.
A 27' Airstream has a max capacity of 7600#. 1100# would be 7333# with a 15% tongue weight. So weight distribution and load have an impact, but frequently AS owners comment about over 1100# tongue weights. I think around 1000# is doable but requires planning.
Points- Too many people look at truck brochures for tow capacity and know NOTHING about payload (including salesmen- they don't even know about the yellow sticker). I give credit to PnchDrnk for being on the correct path looking at payload.
I wonder how many people had the $$ to buy a Limited or Platnium PB 4x4 that also get a Classic Airstream, capacity of 10,000# and tongue weight of up to 1500#.
I only comment to promote research, planning and compromise wisely.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
I had a 21 500a PB crew cab short bed 4x4 lariat with 3 options

Copilot assist
Tow Tech
B&O 8speaker

Payload 1665. She was quick!
Nice! I’m trying to think what my extra weight might be…step up tailgate? 360 cameras? 20” wheels? 7.2kW? I have fewer speakers and cloth seats so…

Do you see how this gimped sticker makes us crazy? 😜

dmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 5.0 (sold), 21 PB (sold), 22 5.0
Occupation
Gearhead!

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
I wonder how many people had the $$ to buy a Limited or Platnium PB 4x4 that also get a Classic Airstream, capacity of 10,000# and tongue weight of up to 1500#.
I only comment to promote research, planning and compromise wisely.
lol but I think you're right. It's precisely the KR, Platty, and Limited guys who might want a 150g travel trailer to pair with their 90g truck!

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
lol but I think you're right. It's precisely the KR, Platty, and Limited guys who might want a 150g travel trailer to pair with their 90g truck!
:oops: whoa! I had no idea. I thought that Airstreams were made of aluminum, not gold plating!

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
:oops: whoa! I had no idea. I thought that Airstreams were made of aluminum, not gold plating!
Gold just added more weight so they keep it at Airstream. You still pay for it though!

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
The 26’ Terra Willow I’m pining away for will likely cost more than my 302A PB unless I find a deal out there when we are ready to buy lol

nitrobass24

Threads
Reaction score
Website
redboxplus.com
Vehicles
'21 F150 Platinum PB
Occupation
Roll offs and Porta-Potties
Im not saying Ford is making the payloads artificially low to get people to buy a Super Duty, but I sure do find it odd that the payloads are as low as they considering the body was switched to Aluminium...should be a pretty decent weight savings from prior generations.

Mike_D

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
My 2022 Lariat 502a PowerBoost is only rear wheel/2 wheel drive and non-FX4, so my payload sticker actually says 1744 lbs, so I guess I have that going for me! I added a Retrax XR bed cover (will need to figure in the weight of that) and WeatherTech FloorLiner HP floor mats, but otherwise is stock.

22skidoo

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat
2023 Lariat PB 4x4 5.5' bed
Power tailgate w/step, 20" wheels, factory spray in bed, moonroof, 7.2 kw, onboard scales - all the stuff that hurts payload...

Payload is 1,383 lbs.

Just bought a 24' camper that should fit the payload on the truck. It's just me (200lb.), the wife (140 lb.) and our 35 lb. dog in the truck. Camper is advertised with 485 lb. tongue, total weight 4,875 lbs. before cargo and 6,250 lbs. GVWR. The onboard scales make it easy to watch the weight in the truck. I did the research on trailer tongue weights being misrepresented before purchasing the camper.
You should still use a CAT scale to get each axle weight and set up the distribution hitch.

These trucks can easily tow over the specs with the power they have, but I wanted the peace of mind knowing that I am within the weight specs.
Sponsored