Payload capacity.

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
Yeah, we need to dig a bit deeper. Know the 1985 as I’m running a 1995. Dinner now, follow up later.
Sponsored

OP
OP

landersen

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
Yeah, we need to dig a bit deeper. Know the 1985 as I’m running a 1995. Dinner now, follow up later.
You're running the 1995 on your F-150? I didn't like the bathroom layout of the 1995, but the tongue weight spec on that is a full 160lbs less (550 - 390). I may have to get over my dislike of the bathroom and go with the 1995. Hmmmmm.

And I have to ask the proverbial, and completely unrelated question. How long have you had your 1995 and do you regret your purchase? I've been researching RV's for 3 weeks now and I hear great things about them and terrible things about them. But that is true for just about every brand. The big issue I hear about the lance is that the build quality is supposed to be superior, but quality has slipped since the company was purchased.

Last edited:

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
Thought it better for everyone if we moved the Lance discussion to a PM, so I'll send you some comments there.

Jack

Roughin'it

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Expedition, 2015 F150 Lariat
OK, where oh where did that "base weight" number come from, Jack?
Hi John - here is the payload info Jack was referring to. I snipped your section from the full specs. Judging by your truck photo you have the 6.5 ft box and 4 x 4 so I highlighted your payload. This of course is SuperCrew base and doesn't include options such as box liner, tonneau cover, running boards, moon roof, power XY or Z, power tail gate, etc. I think the tow mirrors, box liner and running boards I see in your photo would chew up ~100 pounds of payload on their own.

Ford F-150 Payload capacity. 1616947410954

OP
OP

landersen

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
Hi John - here is the payload info Jack was referring to. I snipped your section from the full specs. Judging by your truck photo you have the 6.5 ft box and 4 x 4 so I highlighted your payload. This of course is SuperCrew base and doesn't include options such as box liner, tonneau cover, running boards, moon roof, power XY or Z, power tail gate, etc. I think the tow mirrors, box liner and running boards I see in your photo would chew up ~100 pounds of payload on their own.

1616947410954.png
Mine is the 4x4 5.5 box so the payload spec was 2,100. With all my added options (moonroof, spray-in liner, FX4 package, power tailgate, running boards, 20" wheels) my payload went down to 1,584 on the door

Total noob move on my part not knowing how much all these options would impact payload capacity. I love the moonroof, but not at the sacrifice of 80lbs of payload. I even searched google to find out if you could remove a spray-in bed liner, and turns out it's not so easy.

So now I'm doing everything I can (cancelled my tri-fold tonneau cover (60lbs), removing skid plates (28lbs), etc. to reduce weight. I even called Ford to find out if I could swap out the tailgate for a non-power one but turns out that's not so easy and very expensive.

Sponsored

Roughin'it

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mine is the 4x4 5.5 box so the payload spec was 2,100. With all my added options (moonroof, spray-in liner, FX4 package, power tailgate, running boards, 20" wheels) my payload went down to 1,584 on the door

Total noob move on my part not knowing how much all these options would impact payload capacity. I love the moonroof, but not at the sacrifice of 80lbs of payload. I even searched google to find out if you could remove a spray-in bed liner, and turns out it's not so easy.

So now I'm doing everything I can (cancelled my tri-fold tonneau cover (60lbs), removing skid plates (28lbs), etc. to reduce weight. I even called Ford to find out if I could swap out the tailgate for a non-power one but turns out that's not so easy and very expensive.
Options eat payload very quickly. If it helps any, I think your math on the previous post might be a little overly conservative. As you mentioned, the GVWR of the trailer is 6200. So that's the max weight it should ever be (wet and loaded). That would make the tongue weight fully loaded around 800 pounds (13% of GVWR). Even poorly loaded you shouldn't hit 900.

The specs from the company state 550 dry tongue which is ~12.9% of the dry weight so the company appears to have balanced the trailer at around 13%.

Waxer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 4x4, Star White
You're running the 1995 on your F-150? I didn't like the bathroom layout of the 1995, but the tongue weight spec on that is a full 160lbs less (550 - 390). I may have to get over my dislike of the bathroom and go with the 1995. Hmmmmm.

And I have to ask the proverbial, and completely unrelated question. How long have you had your 1995 and do you regret your purchase? I've been researching RV's for 3 weeks now and I hear great things about them and terrible things about them. But that is true for just about every brand. The big issue I hear about the lance is that the build quality is supposed to be superior, but quality has slipped since the company was purchased.
Larry - I also tow a Lance 1995 (2018). Bought it used a year ago and absolutely love it. Quality is night and day better than most brands, and it only takes a minute in the trailer to feel/see it. I towed it with a 2018 3.5L Ecoboost (1,650 payload) with E2 WDH and had absolutely no problem over 6 trips we made last year. I went through the same math as you for the Powerboost and decided I can do it, and the 7.2kw Pro Power will be worth shifting some of the load. New Payload is only 1,368 lbs., and I have zero worries that it will not do the job. I have 500 miles on my Powerboost in the last few weeks and will be making the first trip with the 1995 in about a month up to Yosemite. I'll be taking the next few weekends to dial in the new truck with the 1995.

OP
OP

landersen

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
Options eat payload very quickly. If it helps any, I think your math on the previous post might be a little overly conservative. As you mentioned, the GVWR of the trailer is 6200. So that's the max weight it should ever be (wet and loaded). That would make the tongue weight fully loaded around 800 pounds (13% of GVWR). Even poorly loaded you shouldn't hit 900.

The specs from the company state 550 dry tongue which is ~12.9% of the dry weight so the company appears to have balanced the trailer at around 13%.
Yeah, I think I was being way overly conservative. A poster in the Lance Owners Association forums mentioned that not all the weight I am adding will be bearing down on the tongue. Some of it will be shared with the axel. The more I read about this, the more I feel comfortable.

But, I'm still going to forgo the tri-fold tonneau cover @ 60lbs (cancelled my order yesterday), and I'm going to remove the skid plates @28lbs. There really isn't much else I can easily get rid of unfortunately.

OP
OP

landersen

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
Larry - I also tow a Lance 1995 (2018). Bought it used a year ago and absolutely love it. Quality is night and day better than most brands, and it only takes a minute in the trailer to feel/see it. I towed it with a 2018 3.5L Ecoboost (1,650 payload) with E2 WDH and had absolutely no problem over 6 trips we made last year. I went through the same math as you for the Powerboost and decided I can do it, and the 7.2kw Pro Power will be worth shifting some of the load. New Payload is only 1,368 lbs., and I have zero worries that it will not do the job. I have 500 miles on my Powerboost in the last few weeks and will be making the first trip with the 1995 in about a month up to Yosemite. I'll be taking the next few weekends to dial in the new truck with the 1995.
2018 is right when REV Group purchased the company. So I'm wondering if the quality of the one I am purchasing (2021) will be appreciably different that yours. My sister lives in Fullerton, CA, like you so maybe I'll have to tow mine down there once I get it, buy you a beer, and do a comparison.

Roughin'it

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, I think I was being way overly conservative. A poster in the Lance Owners Association forums mentioned that not all the weight I am adding will be bearing down on the tongue. Some of it will be shared with the axel. The more I read about this, the more I feel comfortable.

But, I'm still going to forgo the tri-fold tonneau cover @ 60lbs (cancelled my order yesterday), and I'm going to remove the skid plates @28lbs. There really isn't much else I can easily get rid of unfortunately.
Once you have everything, play around with loading and take it to a scale. That will tell you real world what you've got to play around with and you may just find you can add a thing or two you ended up taking off.

Sponsored

OP
OP

landersen

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
I towed it with a 2018 3.5L Ecoboost (1,650 payload) with E2 WDH and had absolutely no problem over 6 trips we made last year.
Speaking of WDH, does anyone have a definitive answer to the question "Should I disable the anti-sway feature on the F150 if I'm using a WDH?" Lots of opinions all over the place. I have yet to see anything definitive from Ford itself.

Thoughts?

Rahul

First Name
Rahul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Platty PB, 18 Audi Q7, 12 Infy G37x
Occupation
IT Professional
Does a 6.5 box vs 5.5box make any difference with regards to ride quality , towing and payload#? This would be specific to the Powerboost. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP

landersen

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
I can't speak to ride quality, but it does impact towing and payload. The ford website has all the capacities for the various engine / configurations.

Rahul

First Name
Rahul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Platty PB, 18 Audi Q7, 12 Infy G37x
Occupation
IT Professional
I can't speak to ride quality, but it does impact towing and payload. The ford website has all the capacities for the various engine / configurations.
Thanks! Does is increase payload or GVWR ( specifically Powerboost) or improve towing...is it a positive impact?

Egad2021Powerboost

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
IT
Tongue weight IS payload, yes. But the lower right image shows "just a payload" without using a trailer.

Yes, you can move load around to reduce tongue weight, thereby increasing your available payload. Keep in mind that with not enough tongue weight the trail will start to sway more. It's a balancing act.
since we're picking apart the graphic, shouldn't payload also have the people and luggage in the cab?
Sponsored