• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Admin
Electric Ford F-150 powered by gasoline? Patent shows how it’s possible

October 3, 2020

Ford’s upcoming electric F-150 may get some of its power from an unlikely source: Gasoline.

Ford F-150 Lightning Patent shows how electric F-150 EV could be powered by gasoline GENERATOR-1

The Drive has discovered a patent filed by Ford that describes a generator that can be installed in the bed of an electric pickup to provide extended range capability for when the main battery runs out of charge.

Ford F-150 Lightning Patent shows how electric F-150 EV could be powered by gasoline GENERATOR-2

The package slides into the front of the bed like the utility chests commonly used in pickups and would allow an owner to temporarily turn their truck into a plug-in hybrid, like a Chevrolet Volt or BMW i3 REx.

Details on the powertrain contained in it aren’t mentioned, but a diagram of the device shows it to contain an engine, fuel tank, exhaust system and control electronics.

Ford F-150 Lightning Patent shows how electric F-150 EV could be powered by gasoline GENERATOR-3

Ford hasn’t commented on the patent, but automakers often seek protection for ideas that aren’t necessarily destined for production.

Ford F-150 Lightning Patent shows how electric F-150 EV could be powered by gasoline boost

However, the upcoming Ford F-150 PowerBoost hybrid does have a different kind of generator built-in. It can run off of the truck’s battery pack, or in concert with its turbocharged V6, to provide on-site electrical power in lieu of a separate portable generator.
Sponsored

SBrentnall

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.daxiadigital.com
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Occupation
Digital Marketing
Interesting your spin on that. If there's no ICE then it does not count as a PHEV.
Perhaps I misread the original post. I thought you were saying that the range extender contains "an engine, fuel tank, exhaust system and control electronics" which an EV doesn't have.

Or are you saying that this is a completely separate device from the truck itself, with the truck being a full EV with good range?

F150Writer

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Raptor
Occupation
Writer
Perhaps I misread the original post. I thought you were saying that the range extender contains "an engine, fuel tank, exhaust system and control electronics" which an EV doesn't have.

Or are you saying that this is a completely separate device from the truck itself, with the truck being a full EV with good range?
From what I wrote about and read as well it's a total EV system and the generator is just some kind of power supplement.

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2020 LexusRX350; 2021 Mazda Miata
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Maybe this will help, main parts below, full article in the link
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/a32970167/f-150-generator-pro-power-onboard/

Ford only expects about 10 percent of new F-150s will be hybrids, so it was important to offer Pro Power with the conventional drivetrains. That, Sultana says, was much more complicated. The standard 12-volt electrical architecture couldn't provide what they needed, so Sultana and her team designed a whole new 24-volt electrical system, using two conventional 12-volt batteries in addition to the standard battery.

In addition to those batteries, Pro Power-equipped non-hybrid F-150s get a second alternator. Thus equipped, F-150s with the 2.7-liter EcoBoost V-6, 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6, or 5.0-liter V-8 can power a full tailgating setup with a TV, speakers, and a mini fridge. The generator system is completely separated from the rest of the vehicle's electrical system, adding a layer of safety and ensuring that any Pro Power system problems will not impact the drivability of the truck.

Pro Power is smart. The system can be enabled or monitored through the FordPass smartphone app or via the truck's infotainment system. If you try to pull too much power, the system disables itself and sends you a notification. And on hybrid models, Pro Power will automatically turn on the gasoline engine as needed to ensure consistent power flow without draining the battery. (On non-hybrid F-150s, the engine has to be running for Pro Power to work.)

Surprisingly, the generator system even works while the truck is moving, so you can power your fridge on the way to the tailgate or keep your power tools charged as you drive between job sites. Ford won't comment on how Pro Power use affects fuel economy, but we suspect that keeping power-thirsty items plugged in while driving will lead to a measurable drop in MPG.

When the new F-150 arrives, Pro Power will be available on all grades of F-150—optional on conventional models and standard on all hybrids. Ford expects 17 percent of F-150s will be sold with Pro Power when the redesigned pickup goes on sale this fall.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Initially, I was sad that they didn't allow the option to charge the Lightning with a generator while driving. Why couldn't they just put a J1772 port in the bed that could charge from any EVSE/generator while in motion?

I'm less sad now that I realized that I'd only be able to add ~8 kW/h if able to charge with a 32 amp EVSE while driving. That's probably only going to amount to 15 miles of range/hour at best and would take less than 5 minutes to draw 8 kWh at a 100kW DCFC. Range extenders make sense for small, super efficient vehicles like the BMW i3, but not so much for full-size trucks.

I'm sure that the mechanism in the patent would generate more than 32 amps, but the money invested in a range extender is probably better spent on a bigger battery pack or faster DCFC charging architecture.

This functionality would be a unique selling point, though, and I wouldn't complain if it became a reality.

Someone please correct me if my math is wrong!

drcarric2650

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Occupation
retired
Initially, I was sad that they didn't allow the option to charge the Lightning with a generator while driving. Why couldn't they just put a J1772 port in the bed that could charge from any EVSE/generator while in motion?

I'm less sad now that I realized that I'd only be able to add ~8 kW/h if able to charge with a 32 amp EVSE while driving. That's probably only going to amount to 15 miles of range/hour at best and would take less than 5 minutes to draw 8 kWh at a 100kW DCFC. Range extenders make sense for small, super efficient vehicles like the BMW i3, but not so much for full-size trucks.

I'm sure that the mechanism in the patent would generate more than 32 amps, but the money invested in a range extender is probably better spent on a bigger battery pack or faster DCFC charging architecture.

This functionality would be a unique selling point, though, and I wouldn't complain if it became a reality.

If you want a hybrid, just buy one, sheesh, is their a disconnect about why we are trying to get off of fossil fuels?

Luke the Duke

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Ford Explorer, 2015 Ford C-Max
Occupation
Energy Engineer
I was disappointed too, but I think you have a good perspective on it. I do think it would sell better though if they had a bed R-eX. For a couple thousand you can get an 8000W sine wave generator, so 8kWh. At 200 Wh per mile (a conservative 5 miles/kWh) you could get an extra 40 miles charge/hr. I really like the idea of this, especially for trailering.

Sponsored