Sponsored

Party Trick (Parallel Parking)

spud_41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 502a, Lead Foot 3.5L EB Fx4
Has anyone tried using the auto parking feature? I showed it off to my sister because she has street parking, the system really squeezes the truck in there. I saw a spot ahead of us but it wanted the spot that left maybe four inches on both sides. I should have taken a picture but it was so tight I didn't want to leave the truck there in case the other cars needed to get out and didn't think of it until I was parked somewhere else. It's pretty impressive, but I was sweating, thank goodness it helps you get out too.
Sponsored

laujoyjoy

First Name
King
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
I tried the perpendicular parking backing in a pretty tight space. It is quite amazing and precise how the system measures the surrounding and parks it perfectly

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Can't wait to play with this for fun!

What is the most forward-backward iterations it has done in order to get into a space? I mean, if you can remember

OP
OP
spud_41

spud_41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Can't wait to play with this for fun!

What is the most forward-backward iterations it has done in order to get into a space? I mean, if you can remember
I've only used it that once, I think it was 6 or 7, but it was uncomfortably tight.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
I played with it at one of the drive events, and the 5-7 iterations was about what I noticed too. It did a better job than I could have in the end, but it took long enough that you would have people honking at you if you were in a busy parking lot. Unfortunately it only does perpendicular parking by backing in, and it has to have vehicles or something to bounce the radar off of, it can't just use the 500 cameras to put it between the lines. Was really hoping it would work with the lines and forward parking so my wife could use it to get parked in the same place in the garage every time. Guess there is still no substitute for a tennis ball

Last edited:

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I played with it at one of the drive events, and the 5-7 iterations was about what I noticed too. It did a better job then I could have in the end, but it took long enough that you would have people honking at you if you were in a busy parking lot. Unfortunately it only does perpendicular parking by backing in, and it has to have vehicles or something to bounce the radar off of, it can't just use the 500 cameras to put it between the lines. Was really hoping it would work with the lines and forward parking so my wife could use it to get parked in the same place in the garage every time. Guess there is still no substitute for a tennis ball
I remember starting with tennis balls but our black lab jumped and yanked them down. I use laser parking but wife refuses to use it. She also refuses to use the bright tape I put on the floor for her to see in the camera. Finally went with tennis ball again (no dogs allowed in garage at this house) and she's good again after years of complaining. Go figure!

Also got this door liner because our cars are so dang tight in there and I don't trust my 16yo as she opens doors. Lined her door and might have to line mine on one side: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z7DFNL3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I'm going to try the tape and cameras for my wife before going with the tennis balls, but we'll try it in some lined parking lots before I go to the trouble of buying the tape and putting it down in the garage. She gets the big double car garage all to herself. My EVO is off by itself in the 3rd bay that has a wall dividing it from the main garage, so no chance of door dings. My work car just stays outside, so I don't have to worry about door dings. But I have spent the better part of 4 weekends cleaning and organizing the garage since we ordered, because a 232" long truck wasn't going to fit with the fridge and freezer on the front wall of our 24' garage. It's all squared away now, although I probably could hang a lot more stuff on the side walls to clear up more floor space.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I'm going to try the tape and cameras for my wife before going with the tennis balls, but we'll try it in some lined parking lots before I go to the trouble of buying the tape and putting it down in the garage. She gets the big double car garage all to herself. My EVO is off by itself in the 3rd bay that has a wall dividing it from the main garage, so no chance of door dings. My work car just stays outside, so I don't have to worry about door dings. But I have spent the better part of 4 weekends cleaning and organizing the garage since we ordered, because a 232" long truck wasn't going to fit with the fridge and freezer on the front wall of our 24' garage. It's all squared away now, although I probably could hang a lot more stuff on the side walls to clear up more floor space.
Hahaha that sounds like my dilemma!! 3 car garage but only ONE bay fits a supercrew F150 with about 18" to spare to walk around in the front. We were using the 3rd bay as general storage and 4 bikes, and my walls were ALREADY full! I bought an outdoor shed to move allll our tools and bikes into over winter break, just to put the 3rd car in the garage instead of outside (HOA rules enforce it or we get fines). Had to craigslist a ton of stuff!

This is why I cringe whenever someone says "just get a 250!" because I cannot fit it, so we are maxed on size of our travel trailer to the F150 limit, no future trailer upgrades.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, with the 4 foot extension on our garage we’ll have about 3.5’ of space to walk in front of the truck and a foot of space to the garage door. I might have been able to wedge an F250 in, but there would be no space to walk around it at all. Fortunately we have rear entry garages and allies in my neighborhood, so I can park on my driveway without worrying about the HOA. I have a lot of wall space to start hanging stuff, and at the moment the EVO doesn’t get driven much so there is a bunch of crap stored behind it that I need to start hanging. But I‘m ready for the new truck so the rest of that will have to wait until I have more time on weekends.

Last edited:
OP
OP
spud_41

spud_41

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hahaha that sounds like my dilemma!! 3 car garage but only ONE bay fits a supercrew F150 with about 18" to spare to walk around in the front. We were using the 3rd bay as general storage and 4 bikes, and my walls were ALREADY full! I bought an outdoor shed to move allll our tools and bikes into over winter break, just to put the 3rd car in the garage instead of outside (HOA rules enforce it or we get fines). Had to craigslist a ton of stuff!

This is why I cringe whenever someone says "just get a 250!" because I cannot fit it, so we are maxed on size of our travel trailer to the F150 limit, no future trailer upgrades.
Your HOA fines you for parking in the driveway? That's ridiculous. Most of my neighbors have their trucks in the driveway and then their wife's car in the garage.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Your HOA fines you for parking in the driveway? That's ridiculous. Most of my neighbors have their trucks in the driveway and then their wife's car in the garage.
Yes you cannot park in driveway or curb for more than 3 days, unless all slots in your garage are full, or it physically cannot fit.
Sponsored