Sponsored

Park Assist - Does anyone use it?

Sapphire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum (job 2)
I am also in the camp that the desire to have it is primarily because I want everything that’s an F150 at this level was suppose to have. Maybe 5- 10% emergency utility case.

I’ve seen the videos and outside showing it to friends as a party trick, I’d never use it because it would drive me crazy how slow it is. I admire the tech and engineering irrespective.

The emergency utility use was for some unplanned event were my wife would have to use the truck and had a reason to park. She can’t parallel park, back into spaces, or tight spaces. If she driving her car and I’m passenger, these are all situations today she’ll get out of her car and say, ‘do your boy duties’
Never do a job well that you want others to do for you. 😂
Sponsored

Sapphire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum (job 2)
I don't know if I would ever use it.
But I WANT it.

Just so I could tell myself that my truck has EVERYTHING that Ford offered in the F150. 🤣🤣🤣

I got really really lucky and it was the only delete. And honestly, of all the things that could been deleted, I'm glad that was the one!

Still, I want the opportunity to say "it only works about 30% of the time".
This is why I want the max recline seats. Would I take a nap in the seat? Probably not, but I COULD! Same reason I went off-road that one time!

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I've thought about using it, but anytime I'm in a situation where I can, someone is right on my bumper. I don't have time to set up the system and start the process without causing a traffic jam.

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Tremor 402a
Occupation
Support Engineer
I've never experienced it or missed it at all. I used the $365 I saved by having it for fully removed and bought custom amber led light bars for my Tremors grill.

Aim64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Limited Ordered 2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Scrap Metal Industry
After a year plus of having my truck and seeing numerous threads/ comments from people who added it or complained it was deleted I finally watched a couple videos on park assist and decided to start using it.

Over the past two weeks, I have tried to use it about a dozen times to park and about the same to leave a spot and it has worked maybe three times. Any time I try it takes so long to engage it that inevitably someone walks or drives behind me and it quits. Almost all of these scenarios were close to perfect conditions in near empty parking lots with little traffic. I couldn’t imagine trying it to park on a busy city street.

Is there anyone out there that uses this feature regularly and finds it useful?
I use the parallel park when I’m in NYC and Boston . The perpendicular parking takes a long time to find a spot , only used it a couple of times in a year and a half

Sponsored

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
For those that do use this - how small of a space can it get in? Anyone can part in a space that is 4 feet bigger than the truck. Can it manage say when you only have 2 feet - 1 foot in front and 1 foot in back?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I would like to use it if it works for parallel parking. I have a 302A XLT coming but bought the 360 cameras and IPMA off a platnium that had all the bells and whistles. Looking to see what sensors I am missing and will try to make this happen
It's not worth the extra effort of replacing the front and rear bumpers with the ultrasonic sensors (all needs color matched too). Just get the radar cruise control unit and the BLISS hardware if you don't have it to enable active copilot 360.

Use the money saved replacing the bumpers to install the TOD transfer case to enable 4A (requires TCM and 4A dash control as well).

I used the parking thing once in the MME and it was painfully slow. I could see someone who's old and probably shouldn't be driving (or a woman) that could benefit from it, but w/ 360 cams you're able to pull off better parking. Auto reverse braking is already engaged regardless of the parking system so at least that aspect is covered.

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
It's not worth the extra effort of replacing the front and rear bumpers with the ultrasonic sensors (all needs color matched too). Just get the radar cruise control unit and the BLISS hardware if you don't have it to enable active copilot 360.

Use the money saved replacing the bumpers to install the TOD transfer case to enable 4A (requires TCM and 4A dash control as well).

I used the parking thing once in the MME and it was painfully slow. I could see someone who's old and probably shouldn't be driving (or a woman) that could benefit from it, but w/ 360 cams you're able to pull off better parking. Auto reverse braking is already engaged regardless of the parking system so at least that aspect is covered.

You are likely right on the cost/benefit and how much use I would use the parking. On my wife's car the front bumper sensors trigger the front camera if you get really close. This could be useful as my driveway and garage are about 2" longer then the length of the truck. I also thought that would have some value when pulling out of tight parallel spaces assuming the front camera flicks on if you get close. . I wasn't planning on replacing the bumpers. Would just install in the existing bumper - though you are right I would need to color match the sensors. My thought was I need a harness anyway for the active copilot radar so I am really only talking about an extra $100 in sensors (plus paint). This is assuming I am correct in the radar harness and sensor harness are same. I have a wiring diagram coming this week and can figure this out then. And then there is the slippery slope of 'if I am adding 4 parking sensors - why not 6' :ROFLMAO:.

what I don't know is 1)Are the BLIS sensors needed for co-pilot(if not what are they used for) 2)will my truck come with front blis sensors 3)if I decide to add them (based on what they do) does it use the same wire harness.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You are likely right on the cost/benefit and how much use I would use the parking. On my wife's car the front bumper sensors trigger the front camera if you get really close. This could be useful as my driveway and garage are about 2" longer then the length of the truck. I also thought that would have some value when pulling out of tight parallel spaces assuming the front camera flicks on if you get close. . I wasn't planning on replacing the bumpers. Would just install in the existing bumper - though you are right I would need to color match the sensors. My thought was I need a harness anyway for the active copilot radar so I am really only talking about an extra $100 in sensors (plus paint). This is assuming I am correct in the radar harness and sensor harness are same. I have a wiring diagram coming this week and can figure this out then. And then there is the slippery slope of 'if I am adding 4 parking sensors - why not 6' :ROFLMAO:.

what I don't know is 1)Are the BLIS sensors needed for co-pilot(if not what are they used for) 2)will my truck come with front blis sensors 3)if I decide to add them (based on what they do) does it use the same wire harness.
W/ 360 cams, they already automatically turn on when close to something. Of course there's the dedicated camera button above the screen to do the same. Granted if you're above 10mph or so the camera button turns on the 360s, but shows the rear cam, slower than that and the front cam is the view. Like I said though, the ultrasonics will trigger it on as well. That's not part of the self park, that's just part of the 360 system itself. You need the camera button if you don't already have it.

Just worry about the cruise radar for auto lane centering / self driving w/ hand on wheel. My PB has the active which is basically bluecruise w/ out the eye cams requiring you to have your hand on the wheel (or let the wheel drag a knee). The bluecruise isn't worth the extra $ over the LKA (lane centering). My MME is hands free on selected roads, but the PB's system works better even having to torque the wheel.

W/ bluecruise, even in off-map roads where it's hands on wheel, it still bitches about eyes on the road, whereas the non BC active system can't see eyes.

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
W/ 360 cams, they already automatically turn on when close to something. Of course there's the dedicated camera button above the screen to do the same. Granted if you're above 10mph or so the camera button turns on the 360s, but shows the rear cam, slower than that and the front cam is the view. Like I said though, the ultrasonics will trigger it on as well. That's not part of the self park, that's just part of the 360 system itself. You need the camera button if you don't already have it.
That really good to know, I assumed the 360 camera turn on was based on the sensors not the IPMA making that decision. Right now I have a set of mirrors, a new IPMA and rear cargo cam. I need to pick up the front emblem cam, some wire harnesses and the console trim that supports the camera button. I assume there is a few set on console trims so need to figure out how far I plan to take this project and then get the right piece.

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That really good to know, I assumed the 360 camera turn on was based on the sensors not the IPMA making that decision. Right now I have a set of mirrors, a new IPMA and rear cargo cam. I need to pick up the front emblem cam, some wire harnesses and the console trim that supports the camera button. I assume there is a few set on console trims so need to figure out how far I plan to take this project and then get the right piece.
Shouldn't be any trim, the 3 button slots above the screen can hold 2 buttons each.

As seen here (cam button is #2 in bank 1, next to PPOB / generator button)
Ford F-150 Park Assist - Does anyone use it? 1675904304914

Last edited:

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
Shouldn't be any trim, the 3 button slots above the screen can hold 2 buttons each.

As seen here (cam button is #2 in bank 1, next to PPOB / generator button)
1675904304914.png
Good catch... Some of the 2021 pictures that I saw looked like a block of switches with straighter edges. I guess I will have to see what buttons are in my truck when I get it to swap out one with a double button.

Eskram

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I kind of want it.. mostly because I suck at parking. I still can't get used to the turning radius.

Edit: I've been driving for 30+ years too..

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My main point for posting in this thread was that the active park assist is the automatic parking option where the truck does the work. But with the 360 cams, you as the driver get all the info needed to be able to park as the ultrasonics will trigger the cam as you approach things. Both my F150 and my MME do this. Pulling in against a wall, cams will suddenly trigger front. Whereas in reverse the cams come on anyway per law. (nice feature of the MME is that it picks up parking block / curbs so that you're warned you may be about to ram your splitter into a high object)

Now the naviks device that intercepts the APIM screen is a nifty device in that it's watching the busses and if you have 360 cams, when you put on a blinker, your screen will quickly display the appropriate blinker's side camera to show you the lane. Vid starts where the blinker / cam function is. Keep in mind this a $600 additional device by a 3rd party. I like the option to use the HDMI port (watch full vid for operation). I think the blinker / cam thing should be native to the truck. Many OEMS have baked this into their cars. The kia/hyundai/(forget the other one that shares the same body) EV platform does it really well.

Here's the kia one that's native

jhwalker

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat, 2022 Mach e GT performance pack
Now the naviks device that intercepts the APIM screen is a nifty device in that it's watching the busses and if you have 360 cams, when you put on a blinker, your screen will quickly display the appropriate blinker's side camera to show you the lane. Vid starts where the blinker / cam function is. Keep in mind this a $600 additional device by a 3rd party. I like the option to use the HDMI port (watch full vid for operation). I think the blinker / cam thing should be native to the truck. Many OEMS have baked this into their cars. The kia/hyundai/(forget the other one that shares the same body) EV platform does it really well.

@HammaMan I have the Naviks in my truck to use as a monitor with the work surface. Originally, I was going to use it for cameras, but it only supports analog cameras which I didn't like as well as the 360 cameras. So, if you wanted to use the blind spot feature you would have to add other cameras to the mirrors (or nearby). The Gensis SUVs also have the blind spot feature which is pretty nice. The Naviks component also supports a 360 type display but you would need to add other cameras as well.
Sponsored