First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150 xlt
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks to this thread, I gave the charger a try as well. It worked! Thank you. I have not had any updates since the dealer installed 1.7.1, now the two times I have put the charger on it I have gotten two updates.

That brings up this question, since the truck is just over a year old, and these batteries are very expensive are they covered under the warranty, can/should we go get them swapped? Feels a bit strange that I have to plug in my truck to update.
Sponsored

MrT

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB 502A
Occupation
Retired
New APIM on Wednesday after being in the shop for a week, now I only have revision 415 sync version 22087, indicates 2.6.0, dealer sent me home without the latest version and revision. You’d think they would’ve upgraded me to 2.8.1 or higher, and still no Blue Cruise, even after they performed the “warranty” work. Back to the dealer tomorrow.

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
New APIM on Wednesday after being in the shop for a week, now I only have revision 415 sync version 22087, indicates 2.6.0, dealer sent me home without the latest version and revision. You’d think they would’ve upgraded me to 2.8.1 or higher, and still no Blue Cruise, even after they performed the “warranty” work. Back to the dealer tomorrow.
Same here, except i'm still waiting for the new APIM, revision 415 sync version 22087

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Thanks to this thread, I gave the charger a try as well. It worked! Thank you. I have not had any updates since the dealer installed 1.7.1, now the two times I have put the charger on it I have gotten two updates.

That brings up this question, since the truck is just over a year old, and these batteries are very expensive are they covered under the warranty, can/should we go get them swapped? Feels a bit strange that I have to plug in my truck to update.
The battery situation is kind of a quandary.

In a traditional viewpoint, you wouldn't consider the battery faulty or unhealthy since it's primary function is (was) to be able to provide the 12V current sufficient to start the trucks motor.

The problem with this brave new world of OTA, is for these updates to succeed on a truck parked out in a driveway, that 12V battery needs to be at a charged state pretty much equivalent to a brand new battery at all times. (Far higher charge rate than necessary to start a vehicle)

That's a tall order for a battery in a vehicle that has not been driven frequently and for sufficient distances, especially if it's a highly optioned truck with lots of features and potential parasitic draws, as small as they might be.

MrT

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
My APIM arrived from California in two days, but that was Friday, technician out Monday, reprogrammed Tuesday and Wednesday, back to me late Wednesday right before close, test drive on highway Friday and no BC. Updates scheduled for 11pm, last night. Still says 22087_product, revision 415, “your system is up to date”.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22087 is still short of Bluecruise, sorry.

You are waiting either for Ford to push you another couple of OTA updates, or a dealership following through on your behalf and updating it through FDRS.

(option 3 is you using FDRS yourself and never relying on a dealership again)

Slade

First Name
Slade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Attorney
I was able to get a few OTAs to go through after I charged the battery. The voltage reading for it when fully charged was low.

Recently I went in for a warranty replacement of a left rear parking brake actuator. I had the dealership test the battery and it failed on voltage and they replaced it under the warranty. My 2021 was about 2 weeks short if being a year old.

MrT

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
22087 was just installed by the dealer on Wednesday under warranty 21G01 product improvement program, complimentary dealer installation. I scheduled OTA updates for every night at 11 pm, no luck. But they didn’t upgrade me to 22095 revision 421. So back to the dealer this morning to see what they say.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have acquired all the equipment needed to update my truck. Just waiting to get 2 days off in a row to buy the FDRS license. When my truck was last checked I had 4 "SMALL" updates pending, but I have turned off auto update until I hear Ford has fixed the OTA problem of pushing older versions to the trucks. I am at 2.8.3 with Sync version at 22095_PRODUCT rev 421.

Has anyone heard it Ford has fixed their OT problem?

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2021 Mach-E
Finally got mine to update. Parking brake on, trickle charged the battery, headlights to off, locked the truck, disconnected the battery for 15 minutes then it updated.
I was just gonna say...that parking brake should be on according to the OTA docs from Ford.

Sponsored

MrT

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Just returned from the dealer. Svc mgr stated they might not even have the most current revisions. I’ll try the trickle charger tonight or the frds option myself. Dealer stated too many variables to make a definitive diagnosis. Bring it back on Monday assuming we can get you a rental car.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I wonder why a dealership would state that they wouldn't have the most current revisions.
Technically they are THE source for current revisions. :)

Or put another way, one dealership doesn't have a different FDRS than another.

MrT

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
My sentiments exactly. I asked why didn't they install the most recent Sync Version and Rev while it was there in the first place? Kinda pushed me out the door with a Good Luck on your attempt at OTA updates this weekend, and we'll get you a rental vehicle in the mean time, and a reservation for another service appointment.

gspete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I just ran into this problem as well.

After several attempts of the OTA update not working I went to Ford to ask questions and when the service advisor told me my battery had low voltage, not a tech, from the service desk computer I became very curious. Everything seemed to be working just fine except the auto stop/start didn’t seem to work as consistent as it once did, subtle. During day-to-day operations, the battery gave no indication of a problem.

I went to Batteries Plus and O’Reilly’s to check the battery and it checked out well. Good voltage, good CCA, and Batteries Plus said my battery had a 79% state of charge (SOC) and gave it a good bill of health.

Using FORScan I began monitoring the voltage, amps, and state of charge. Battery voltage looked to be charging well and the amperage appeared to be good. But, during the auto stop/start events, the battery voltage would drop to about 9.5 volts during the restarts, which seemed low.

The battery’s SOC was at 74%. I charged the battery, for a day, on a Battery Tender hoping the OTA update worked and it did not, and the SOC only went up to 78%. I then charged the battery again for two days with no joy. The battery would not go above 79% SOC. The truck was bought JAN2021, only 20 months old.

I put a new battery in and within 30 miles the SOC was at 100% and the OTA update was a success.

Here is some interesting info. After the battery replacement, I continued to monitor with FORScan and this is what I learned: The battery voltage and the amperage aligned far better and were smoother on the oscilloscope, the SOC now will rapidly increase after auto stop/start events, and the voltage during restarts will drop to about 10 volts which I guess is normal.

It appears the battery condition is dependent on the SOC

MrT

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Spoke with Ford OTA customer service this morning. My truck is at 2.6.0, while at the dealer on 8/3 the "cloud" cancelled the 2.7.1 OTA install at 3:02 pm. The dealer gave me the truck back at 4:30 with 2.6.0 and no Blue Cruise. I was told by Ford OTA team to set the OTA scheduled updates to after 12AM and see what happens. I've got another appointment tomorrow at the dealer to see if they can push 2.7.1 software updates or greater hopefully to 2.8.1 or higher. Fingers crossed.
Sponsored