Sponsored

OTA Update not working?

Chris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT FX4
I’ve tried doing the over the air update on my F150 about 10 times and it never updates. It is the Ford power-up o 2.8.1 and in the vehicle it says it would take about 145 minutes to update. I’ve never had an issue with any other over there update before. I’ve tried this update with the truck parked in my garage and connected to Wi-Fi and it did not work. I’ve tried this update outside with Wi-Fi off and that also did not work. Is anyone else having this issue? Screenshot attached from the Ford app regarding the update. I followed all directions making sure all doors are closed vehicle secured no lights are on etc. I keep getting an error message saying it will try again at another time. I’m initiating the update from the truck clicking update now and then turn it off and lock in the vehicle. I promise I have followed all directions so that’s why I want to know if anyone else is having an issue. Thank you

Ford F-150 OTA Update not working? 6832E024-EF44-49A7-A175-B56D3A1616DA
Sponsored

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
Its your battery; while it has enough juice to crank your truck it doesn't have the power to let the update run without getting dangerously low. Get a solid battery charger and keep it on charger over night. It will update, almost guarantee it, tons of successful outcomes doing this.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Its your battery; while it has enough juice to crank your truck it doesn't have the power to let the update run without getting dangerously low. Get a solid battery charger and keep it on charger over night. It will update, almost guarantee it, tons of successful outcomes doing this.
Thanks for posting this tip!

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT FX4
I appreciate the advice thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT FX4
Do you happen to have any recommendations on a battery charger or brand? I don’t know much about them. Never had to deal with this before. Thank you

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
Do you happen to have any recommendations on a battery charger or brand? I don’t know much about them. Never had to deal with this before. Thank you
yes, look at page 1 of the ECU programming sticky in this sun forum

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP

Sponsored

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A

Rshmm

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 XLT
I have the same issue with 2.8.1 in my 21. I've met all the conditions required of the update. I've never had an issue with any other update. I've placed the battery on a trickle charger to fully charge the battery with no change and see continued failures at my scheduled update time. I've also manually tried the update right after fully charging the battery with no change. I've watched the screen and the last messaging that appears is a Preparing Update message then the screen goes black.

Any help or assistance would be appreciated. Thank you!

OP
OP
Chris

Chris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT FX4
I have the same issue with 2.8.1 in my 21. I've met all the conditions required of the update. I've never had an issue with any other update. I've placed the battery on a trickle charger to fully charge the battery with no change and see continued failures at my scheduled update time. I've also manually tried the update right after fully charging the battery with no change. I've watched the screen and the last messaging that appears is a Preparing Update message then the screen goes black.

Any help or assistance would be appreciated. Thank you!
I’m glad I Read this before purchasing the battery charger. I’m wondering if there’s a separate issue with this update. I’ve experienced everything you just described with the preparing update and screen going black. I manually try to update everyday hoping Ford somehow fixes the issue. I will probably have dealer handle it by the next oil change if it doesn’t end up downloading by then.

Hog_Johnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum