OTA Update - anyone received one yet?

vCpu

First Name
vCpu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
I'm curious why one would need to connect the truck to your home wifi then?
I asked the salesman the same. As my truck would not connect to my wifi, keeps failing. He said it wouldn’t need connection to my home WiFi to update. I also activated the 3 month\3GB ATT in truck WiFi and its only used 6.30MB and that was me testing it out when I set it up. The FordPass and such are all always connected to Ford. No change in data checking my stats\remote start. I’m assuming its like Tesla’s.
Sponsored

sglide05

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
Nothing yet for me either.

zdjelar

First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
I got it overnight but no clue what it actually addresses. Of course their info is extra generic and non-useful. Anyone know if anything is “added” or any bugs addressed (i.e. zone lighting battery drain)?

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
Yes, No, and Maybe

Sponsored

OP
OP
BigTex22

BigTex22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Ford F-150 King Ranch
Woke up, checked app, and it’s telling me the update was applied. No clue what it fixed.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Ford will never detail the OTA bug fixes - for legal reasons. They will tell us about added features when they come. I learned over eight years of Tesla ownership that this is done for corporate legal purposes - never admit you did anything "wrong" and crow when you do good stuff. Any bug fix is tacit error admission. With Microsoft or Apple it isn't a problem because no one has been "injured" by the bug, but with cars, it is giving ammunition to tort lawyers for accident cases, even if no one has truly been hurt by the bug.

JGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Ford will never detail the OTA bug fixes - for legal reasons. They will tell us about added features when they come. I learned over eight years of Tesla ownership that this is done for corporate legal purposes - never admit you did anything "wrong" and crow when you do good stuff. Any bug fix is tacit error admission. With Microsoft or Apple it isn't a problem because no one has been "injured" by the bug, but with cars, it is giving ammunition to tort lawyers for accident cases, even if no one has truly been hurt by the bug.
I was bit by a bug once...:confused: and it hurt..:giggle:

CBGray

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 2.7L EB Screw 4x4 501A
Occupation
Software
Woke up to my first update this morning as well. Other than the app telling me the update happened, I don't think I could tell anything was different.

JGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Had my first update last night, my truck was working fine before the update and nothing has changed that I noticed
Ford F-150 OTA Update - anyone received one yet? thumbnail_Screenshot_20210409-095226_FordPass

Sponsored

sglide05

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
Mine just updated this morning. I'll check it out later.

Xhaxol

First Name
Vit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost 2021
They should publish what they fixed (patched). So you fixed some bugs, what were they? I don’t buy this “legal” bs. I paid allot and looks like ill continue to pay with visits to the dealer. Time is money! At least give me more than squashed bugs. Not asking for source code here.

CBGray

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 2.7L EB Screw 4x4 501A
Occupation
Software
Someone on one of the other forums said they thought the Ford boot screen was faster and that CarPlay connected quicker than before. I have to admit, today I did notice the boot screen seeming snappier, but CarPlay was always ready for me in the past, so can’t say I could tell a difference there. If the boot screen is faster, we’re not talking much. But, might be fun for those who haven’t been updated yet to see if they can tell a difference after they do get the update.

Longhorngary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford F150 302A soon to be 2021 F150 KR PB
I got it overnight but no clue what it actually addresses. Of course their info is extra generic and non-useful. Anyone know if anything is “added” or any bugs addressed (i.e. zone lighting battery drain)?
same with me, overnight and just as vague. I'm scared to turn on zone lighting.

zdjelar

First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
same with me, overnight and just as vague. I'm scared to turn on zone lighting.
Precisely. That’s my point. I work for a Fortune 5 in software/IT - I get the legalese of what you say and what you don’t say I’m release notes. But if you make a statement months ago that you were going to fix the Zone Lighting battery drain bug in a future software release then you’d think they’d make SOME reference to it when it has been addressed. They also alluded to working with apple on some fixes to battery drain issue with FordPass app. Again, when you’ve already admitted the issue, I’d expect acknowledgement of that because they already admitted to the flaw and working it into a future update.

Same on my wife’s 2020 Navigator...there was a battery drain issue with the app, so they fixed it. There was (still is) an issue with Phone-as-Key (recommended to not use it for now until fixed) - they will conceivably tell us when it’s ok to use it again.

I get the legal angle...nothing novel or revolutionary there. But it’s also not absolute and companies who frequently do this also explicitly reference certain high profile fixes if they’ve already publicly acknowledged the issue in the past.
Sponsored

Last edited: