First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
@rugedraw . Possible to check my status. Had 3,5.3 showing as pending, now says I’m up to date but nothing has changed except BC to the 2073 date. Probably had a low battery and the update failed.

1FTFW1ED3MFB20243.
Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
@rugedraw . Possible to check my status. Had 3,5.3 showing as pending, now says I’m up to date but nothing has changed except BC to the 2073 date. Probably had a low battery and the update failed.

1FTFW1ED3MFB20243.
3.5.3 was sent to you two days ago. It has downloaded some of the files needed, but most are still pending. Good luck!

Ffdlt371

First Name
Erik Preteska
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Hybrid Platinum
So get this...

I just spoke with the OTA department and asked about getting the 3.5.3 update. They told me 3.5.2 tried and failed on 1/11 and that 3.5.3 tried today and failed. When I asked why that would be, she told me that I have a bunch of diagnostic codes from the modem and that I would have to bring it into Ford. She said my truck generates these codes daily. That's a bunch of bull for a brand new truck!!!??? Anyone experience this?

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
So get this...

I just spoke with the OTA department and asked about getting the 3.5.3 update. They told me 3.5.2 tried and failed on 1/11 and that 3.5.3 tried today and failed. When I asked why that would be, she told me that I have a bunch of diagnostic codes from the modem and that I would have to bring it into Ford. She said my truck generates these codes daily. That's a bunch of bull for a brand new truck!!!??? Anyone experience this?
Yes. Every single one of these trucks throws out DTC's allllllllll the time. Please note that the people that answer the OTA hotline are fluffers that don't know a damn thing about anything. I am surprised that the one you spoke is knowledgeable enough with PTS to know how to check that. I very much doubt the reason it failed it due to some DTC's your truck is throwing.

Ffdlt371

First Name
Erik Preteska
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Hybrid Platinum
Yes. Every single one of these trucks throws out DTC's allllllllll the time. Please note that the people that answer the OTA hotline are fluffers that don't know a damn thing about anything. I am surprised that the one you spoke is knowledgeable enough with PTS to know how to check that. I very much doubt the reason it failed it due to some DTC's your truck is throwing.
She also told me to apply the emergency brake when I'm parked. Told me it would help with the update. But she also told me that these particular updates can happen while driving. So I asked her, why the brake then? I think I confused her. Lol
She also told me that if I have more than one update pending that the more important one would take priority. When I asked her what the 2nd update was, she said that it was the 3.5.2 on the 11th. Told me I needed that one first. I then asked her, then why did 3.5.3 try and apply today? Again, I confused her. I don't know what to believe.

Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
She also told me to apply the emergency brake when I'm parked. Told me it would help with the update. But she also told me that these particular updates can happen while driving. So I asked her, why the brake then? I think I confused her. Lol
She also told me that if I have more than one update pending that the more important one would take priority. When I asked her what the 2nd update was, she said that it was the 3.5.2 on the 11th. Told me I needed that one first. I then asked her, then why did 3.5.3 try and apply today? Again, I confused her. I don't know what to believe.
Yea, and turn the lights off instead of leaving them on auto. BS. Ask anyone here that got the update if they had their parking brake on or their headlights switched to off. Plenty of people reported getting it while driving and many while parked. Some on wifi and some on the trucks cellular data plan. Some it installed right away, and for others it took a few days. Some had auto updates on and some had it off. lol

Ffdlt371

First Name
Erik Preteska
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Hybrid Platinum
Yea, and turn the lights off instead of leaving them on auto. BS. Ask anyone here that got the update if they had their parking brake on or their headlights switched to off. Plenty of people reported getting it while driving and many while parked. Some on wifi and some on the trucks cellular data plan. Some it installed right away, and for others it took a few days. Some had auto updates on and some had it off. lol
Exactly my point.
So how do I figure out the issue of the two updates trying and failing?

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
Exactly my point.
I don't know. I have been trying to figure out why these updates fail for 6 months and people on here much smarter than me have been, too. The problem is this OTA process Ford came up with is hot garbage, and we are the guinea pigs for it.

Ffdlt371

First Name
Erik Preteska
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Hybrid Platinum
I won't hold my breath on Ford figuring it out. I just hope they do soon. Or give us a way too do it manually with a USB.

Stealth88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302a
Occupation
Aerospace
Exactly my point.
First off you have to have the truck in a position to receive the updates IE parked with th e brake on and the doors closed and hood closed and tailgate closed and the truck locked/ secured. The customer service person is correct. If the update happens at that point then the truck must be off and parked and then yes all those parameters are be met and an update will occur. When an update occurs while driving is another thing altogether.

Sponsored

m_bt54

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost Hybrid
Occupation
IT Director
Both times my truck received OTA updates my truck was unlocked with my keys in the area in front of my shifter inside inside my garage as it is every night.. No e brake on.

My truck has always connected to wifi since the first day I brought it home and I can see traffic daily on my firewall. The days I received the updates there was no abnormal/ extra traffic so the updates came in over cellular (I do not pay for the hotspot). Prior to the Alexa and full screen CarPlay/AA update the standard traffic was just to cloud-sync.ford.com and example.com. Since the Alexa update I have the traffic to the Amazon domain and Spotify. I don’t use or subscribe to Spotify. Traffic has never been larger than 1 MB in a given day - clearly not enough for an update.

Ford F-150 OTA Ford Power-Up 3.5.3 and upcoming Alexa Built-in roll-out BCE2E2DC-2C97-482B-A0CD-63E6CE60AE82

Ford F-150 OTA Ford Power-Up 3.5.3 and upcoming Alexa Built-in roll-out 1139ADAE-111A-42DA-8334-46C7151AB8F6

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
This is perfect timing... I hooked up Forscan today just to see if anything obvious is keeping my pending 3.5.3 from downloading/installing (still not installed at day #4) and noticed an IPMA DTC - do you or @Jesse-Infotainment or anyone else know if an IPMA DTC will inhibit an OTA? I cleared the DTC in Forscan 🤞

Ffdlt371

First Name
Erik Preteska
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Hybrid Platinum
That's what I want to know also. I'm going to check with forscan in the morning and see if there's anything there.

JFR0317

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum FX4 PowerBoost
In fairness, with respect to needing or not needing to have the parking brake engaged, I had three failed update attempts to 2.5.1 (prerequisite to receiving 2.5.2 and 2.5.3 to enable Blue Cruise). I got in contact with an OTA elevated level support team member who advised me that I needed to have the parking brake engaged for certain updates that required inhibiting the vehicle. I set the parking brake, and the update then successfully went through on the next try after that. The update took around 45 minutes to complete.

Obviously, updates that can be applied while the vehicle is in motion (as the ones in the topic of this thread) would not require that.

Sapphire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum (job 2)
Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to drive to the liquor store in order to force an update. However, driving to Chipotle did the trick, and my 2021 job 2 truck got 3.5.3 this afternoon while I was eating.
Sponsored