Sponsored

Infotroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 2022
I agree, lack of pro power makes it a less attractive option. That same tech tho can be a potential pain down the line. It’ll be interesting to see the long term reliability of the PB electronics on board.

I could live without the pro power stuff. The much better MPG of the diesel was worth it for me. And honestly not having the inverter constantly on has been pleasant as of late LOL.
Whats your payload on the 3.5 vs 3.0
Sponsored

Ford 3.0 Diesel

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 3.0 Diesel
Occupation
Self
3.0 diesel is not for everyone and for me it has all that I would what in a truck. I went for 2012 F450 6.7 diesel to this F150 3.0 and never look back ( i don't haul and pull that much anymore ). I also had a 2000 F350 crew cab, 7.3 diesel, 2 wheel drive , and a 2009 F350 6.4 diesel ,crew cab ,4 wheel drive before. I like diesels in a truck and never like gas trucks for pulling or for longevity. Yes the diesel fuel cost more than gas ,and you have to deal with DF fluid. Repairs cost more also with a diesel. Bottom line when I decided to buy a 2021 F150 I drove a number of gas 2020 F 150's and even found a 2020 3.0 diesel in town to test drive. I drove the diesel about 2 miles on a
busy street and decided the diesel was for me.

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
3.0 diesel is not for everyone and for me it has all that I would what in a truck. I went for 2012 F450 6.7 diesel to this F150 3.0 and never look back ( i don't haul and pull that much anymore ). I also had a 2000 F350 crew cab, 7.3 diesel, 2 wheel drive , and a 2009 F350 6.4 diesel ,crew cab ,4 wheel drive before. I like diesels in a truck and never like gas trucks for pulling or for longevity. Yes the diesel fuel cost more than gas ,and you have to deal with DF fluid. Repairs cost more also with a diesel. Bottom line when I decided to buy a 2021 F150 I drove a number of gas 2020 F 150's and even found a 2020 3.0 diesel in town to test drive. I drove the diesel about 2 miles on a
busy street and decided the diesel was for me.
Nice. In CA right now, diesel is significantly cheaper actually. Up 80 cents cheaper in some places compared to 91 for the Ecoboost.

Infotroll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 2022
another post, someone with a KR and Platinum were getting 1,140 and 1,250 lb payload respectively! I mean I know all the gadgets and extra adds to the low numbers, but still…Yikes
Food for thought Lariat 502 etc etc
Ford F-150 Ordering for 2021 F-150 3.0L Power Stroke Diesel Closes July 16 1626061599860

1626060256774.png

Also the PB is great in the city otherwise lurking around the threads the mpg is defiantly not what they make it out to be mpg wise. I have no dog in the fight to each his own , but lets be real about it. Drive it like you stole it , if you want the best mpg 3.0 is the answer it you want HP and more torque the go with the PB. Each has their respective pro and cons

Last edited:

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Not surprised. The 3.0 #s aren't impressive at all compared to the 5.0, 3.5 and 3.5PB. Its a ridiculously expensive option and just doesn't perform as good as the other 3 I mentioned. Another thing killing it is diesel prices. IF diesel fuel (and e85) were a lot cheaper, they'd be selling a lot better. That's why I have no interest in a flex fuel vehicle. The cost of e85 is ridiculous too.
In CA, diesel is cheaper. It’s like 60 cents cheaper (80 cents when compared to 91). At least in Northern CA.

Sponsored

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Wow I didn’t know Diesel was actually cheaper anywhere right now. Around here it’s still more than gas but not by a lot. If you’re getting 91 or 93 (Most stations here have 93 as their top fuel, some stop at 91) then diesel is a little cheaper.

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
In CA, diesel is cheaper. It’s like 60 cents cheaper (80 cents when compared to 91). At least in Northern CA.
It usually does this every summer because of increased demand for regular gasoline for summer driving season and increased cost for summer blend. In my experience owning diesels in the past most of the year it’s about 20% more than regular, which wipes out a lot of the fuel economy gains.

For those who care about carbon it also puts out more per gallon than regular gas since modern diesels tend to be a wash against modern gasoline engines on the highway (which is where they used to do much better).

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Currently in JAX, FL

Gate/Racetrac/Shell/etc:
2.95 87
3.25 89
3.60 93
3.06 Diesel
2.65 E85

Costco:
2.73 87
3.04 93

Buc-ee's:
2.89 87
3.14 89
3.39 93
3.07 Diesel

Last edited:

Sponsored

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
It usually does this every summer because of increased demand for regular gasoline for summer driving season and increased cost for summer blend. In my experience owning diesels in the past most of the year it’s about 20% more than regular, which wipes out a lot of the fuel economy gains.

For those who care about carbon it also puts out more per gallon than regular gas since modern diesels tend to be a wash against modern gasoline engines on the highway (which is where they used to do much better).
Given that my powerstroke currently gets nearly double on the highway to my Ecoboost (current average 14.7 to 29.2 for the diesel) even similarly priced fuel makes the diesel worth it for me. That and I’m willing to bet the 3.0 will outlast any other engine in the lineup in terms of longevity. But I get it where some states diesel is more expensive and it doesn’t make sense. If I lived in Texas or something it wouldn’t matter as much.

HCFX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat BAP
The problem with this engine is not the engine. The engine is fabulous, among the best in the lineup from a smoothness and refinement perspective. A little gutless in stock form but they come alive with some programming. The issue is the way it was marketed (or lack thereof) and the price point. I've tried to buy one since it came out and it never made sense to get it over a gas job.

If they'd have slotted it somewhere between the 2.7L and 3.5L from a price point perspective they'd have done a lot better with it, which is why GM is selling the sh*t out of their 3.0 Duramax. It's priced exactly the same as the flagship 6.2L engine so it gives customers a really strong value proposition of big power from the 6.2 or big MPG from the Duramax. Ford has their flagship 3.5 which puts down big power, gets decent mpg on paper and can tow alot, and then beyond that way over in la-la land there's the diesel which is another $3,000-7,000 over the flagship engine depending on configuration, so 98% of customers can't find the value in it. Hell, Mercedes used to slot in their diesels as the base engines in some configurations when they used to sell diesel in North America. When VW sold diesel cars in North America the TDI engine was an upgrade over the base engine, but priced the same as the larger gas pots in the lineup. The value proposition with that was, again, "do you want big power, or do you want big MPG?"

The problem is that that proposition contradicts Ford's own marketing plan of Ecoboost, which is supposed to be both worlds. We all know the Ecoboost engines are capable of good MPG in ideal scenarios, but as soon as you hook up so much as a feather behind it it will get half or 1/3 the mileage it is capable of getting unloaded. That also goes for the Powerboost, where the spread between unloaded and loaded MPG is even larger. TFL truck got 29mpg unloaded and I believe 9mpg with a trailer when they tested it. A 20mpg spread is asinine, but it goes to show that you simply cannot make a GTDI engine easier on fuel with a load, hybrid or not.

In Canada this engine is $7000 to upgrade to over the 2.7L on a Lariat, and $5000 over the 3.5. There is absolutely no value in it for the average customer who drives average miles. For a guy like me this engine would've been absolutely perfect. I put on higher than average mileage a year, and I'm a weekend warrior with a camper, but not enough to ever be able to get that initial investment out of it in fuel savings. So either way I'm either paying up for the diesel engine or the horrendous fuel economy towing with the Ecoboost, so I'd rather have reserves of power in the hills and take the fuel bill up the arse.

I'd make the power sacrifice for MPG if I had the choice between power and MPG for the same money. Ecoboost is always one of the two, but never both.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 FORD F150
Occupation
sales
The Powerboost has a better EPA MPG average (24 over 23) and it's take rate is higher. It makes economic sense to drop the small diesel engine from the lineup.
thats icorrect, my moms hybrid is getting only 19mpg and she babys that. im getting 23 plus mpg

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
I'm just stating the EPA numbers.

FWIW my Powerboost is getting 23 average over 1200 miles; 25 when using Normal mode.

My Jeep WK 3.0 diesel gets a very solid 26 MPG average. I'm not a diesel hater, but the US buying public is not going for small diesel engines, so US automakers are not going to be trying to sell them.

bmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost
I had a 2018 with the 3.0 powerstroke and it left me on the side of the road 3 times in 36k miles. It also had frequent recalls and the techs at the dealership weren’t experienced with them. First two breakdowns were emissions equipment related (required tow) Last one was they didn’t put it back together correctly following a recall procedure (which were pretty labor intensive with a lot of parts coming off the engine). After having to go in limp mode to get home in the middle of the night for 250 miles with dogs / girlfriend in the truck I traded it next day. It was smooth and decently powerful when it worked. It just wasn’t worth the trade off for all of the extra headache. I was getting 25-27 on the highway with it. New 3.5 eco is twice as powerful and gets 22-23mpg highway.
Sponsored