Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Admin
Official announcement

INFORMATION:
Final Retail Orders For 21MY F-150 w/ 3.0L Power Stroke Diesel Due July 16

ACTION REQUESTED:
Please submit any remaining retail orders for 21MY F-150 with 3.0L Power Stroke Diesel by July 16th, 2021

SUMMARY:
Due to the global semiconductor shortage and to maximize production to meet customer demand, 21MY F-150 will be accepting final retail orders for the 3.0L Power Stroke Diesel engine through July 16, 2021.

Customers are overwhelmingly selecting our EcoBoost V6 gasoline engines and the all-new 3.5L PowerBoost Full Hybrid engine, which is why we are removing this option from our lineup.
Sponsored

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 FORD F150
Occupation
sales
I absolutely love my 3.0 Turbo Diesel in my 21' F150. Before i changed my tires, i was getting 26mpg on average. i am getting 22.5 mpg with 34' tires and 2" level in front. I am sold.

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
I can’t believe this. I just got mine 5 days ago from Iowa because I had a hunch they would discontinue it. Literally one of their better engines!

Mathmatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4 runner
Ford never put any effort in r&d for this engine which is basically a 2004 design plus they charge the big price for it. No wonder it’s not selling well look at the L6 duramax on the other hand.

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ford never put any effort in r&d for this engine which is basically a 2004 design plus they charge the big price for it. No wonder it’s not selling well look at the L6 duramax on the other hand.
They never advertised it either. So many people still have no clue it exists. Meanwhile the suburban/Tahoe got 3.0 diesel and are selling well.

Sponsored

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
No need to keep the 3.0 PS since there are better and cheaper engine options.

Diesel fuel prices are going up so get ready.

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
The Powerboost has a better EPA MPG average (24 over 23) and it's take rate is higher. It makes economic sense to drop the small diesel engine from the lineup.

Rod507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT Powerboost
I agree what killed it was the intro to the PB and the power onboard technology. I really wanted a 3.0 at the beginning for better mileage than my previous truck getting 14MPG, so the PB with the added tech sold me.

now… if the 3.0 had any variations of the power onboard, I would of been on it!!

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I agree what killed it was the intro to the PB and the power onboard technology. I really wanted a 3.0 at the beginning for better mileage than my previous truck getting 14MPG, so the PB with the added tech sold me.

now… if the 3.0 had any variations of the power onboard, I would of been on it!!
I agree, lack of pro power makes it a less attractive option. That same tech tho can be a potential pain down the line. It’ll be interesting to see the long term reliability of the PB electronics on board.

I could live without the pro power stuff. The much better MPG of the diesel was worth it for me. And honestly not having the inverter constantly on has been pleasant as of late LOL.

Rod507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I agree, lack of pro power makes it a less attractive option. That same tech tho can be a potential pain down the line. It’ll be interesting to see the long term reliability of the PB electronics on board.

I could live without the pro power stuff. The much better MPG of the diesel was worth it for me. And honestly not having the inverter constantly on has been pleasant as of late LOL.
And another thing that shocked me about the 3.0 was the low payload numbers… but you are right time will tell in the longevity of the PB and the battery

Sponsored

Antimatter Tremor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looks like if officially dead after July 16th even for the following model years.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...sel-engine-from-f-150-lineup.4651/#post-75175

Not surprised. The 3.0 #s aren't impressive at all compared to the 5.0, 3.5 and 3.5PB. Its a ridiculously expensive option and just doesn't perform as good as the other 3 I mentioned. Another thing killing it is diesel prices. IF diesel fuel (and e85) were a lot cheaper, they'd be selling a lot better. That's why I have no interest in a flex fuel vehicle. The cost of e85 is ridiculous too.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
One thing that most people overlooked is that the 3.0 PS is nothing but a slightly different Lion engine that’s been in the Range Rover SUV in Europe for years.

The GM twins received a clean sheet designed straight six diesel.

DaHealey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
Something not many people mention is that the 3.0 diesel just kills your payload. It’s what, 400 lbs heavier than the 3.5 EB? Atleast with the PB you get extra GVWR to make up for some of the battery weight, but with the diesel you just have to take it.

It’d be a towing monster with all the torque, but without the payload you’re sorta stuck. Then what’s it good for? Fuel economy? You have the PB that comes pretty close with that. Engine longevity? The fact that it’s an old Range Rover design doesn’t really inspire confidence.

I bet this transition was planned for 2022 or maybe even later, but with the PB getting such great reviews and seemingly selling well, must have been an easy call to move this forward.

Rod507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Something not many people mention is that the 3.0 diesel just kills your payload. It’s what, 400 lbs heavier than the 3.5 EB? Atleast with the PB you get extra GVWR to make up for some of the battery weight, but with the diesel you just have to take it.

It’d be a towing monster with all the torque, but without the payload you’re sorta stuck. Then what’s it good for? Fuel economy? You have the PB that comes pretty close with that. Engine longevity? The fact that it’s an old Range Rover design doesn’t really inspire confidence.

I bet this transition was planned for 2022 or maybe even later, but with the PB getting such great reviews and seemingly selling well, must have been an easy call to move this forward.
another post, someone with a KR and Platinum were getting 1,140 and 1,250 lb payload respectively! I mean I know all the gadgets and extra adds to the low numbers, but still…Yikes
Sponsored