• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ordered 2022 Lightning - My Experience

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Guys. I have never purchased a new car before. Is this normal? Signing a contract with a deposit before ordering and before knowing what exactly it is you are ordering (options and pricing) without any communication from Ford telling us what to expect next. Where in the “contract” they state that they could add to the MSRP later? Is this how things normally work in dealerships?
You don’t sign a contract, you sign an order form. Just make sure the dealer signs the same form that has the agreed price.
Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
You don’t sign a contract, you sign an order form. Just make sure the dealer signs the same form that has the agreed price.
Do you happen to have a sample of what it looks like?

Rgwinn

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Hybrid
So, I show up at my dealer at our 2 pm appointment.....
. . .

Today at 11:30 am I get a call from the dealer who says the order banks are opening and Ford tells them to call me and please come down and I After a number of calls to Ford we found out the actual order bank will not open until early January so we could not spec out prices or options but the salesman could get enough info from me to get ready to put in my order the minute it opens.

. . .
Not sure why it required a number of calls to Ford, the order dates were known to be January, which is why people were questioning the dealer calling you to come in. Hopefully they hold to their commitment with you.

Rgwinn

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Hybrid
Spoke to my Sales manager today, they have over 200 reservations, I’m in the top 5, so as long as there are no glitches I should be able to place my order when the time comes. (y)

Sponsored

My42waffles

First Name
Kegan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 power boost 157, lightning reservation
Occupation
Maintenance
Anybody know
So, I show up at my dealer at our 2 pm appointment.....

But, first a little prequel...

Yesterday at noon I get an email from Ford informing me my dealer has been sold and they are returning my $100 to my credit card (which they did last night) but nothing will affect my reservation.

At 12:30 I get two boilerplate emails from the "new dealership" saying don't worry, we will take care of you. I call them right away and he says the same thing. They will let me know when they have more info.

Today at 11:30 am I get a call from the dealer who says the order banks are opening and Ford tells them to call me and please come down and I did.

This is the process as they understand it:

A Reservation gets you in the door of the dealership which may prioritize you according to instructions from Ford. If they prioritize you up to their limit you get a Wave #1 Invite from Ford in the next couple of weeks. At my dealership they were assigned 11 reservations and allotted 5 priorities (I am #1). All other reservations by time and day stamp will be in subsequent Waves.

After a number of calls to Ford we found out the actual order bank will not open until early January so we could not spec out prices or options but the salesman could get enough info from me to get ready to put in my order the minute it opens.

Actual build order for the first wave will be established by parts supplies.

The 'Contract" I signed specifies I want (Lariat + Premium Package) according to the chart: below
(He looked up the chart and it is an official Ford document that has not been revised up to now.)

and

The MSRP cannot exceed $80,000 so I will be guaranteed my $7,500 Tax Credit or Rebate (if legislation passes). Any additional "bounty" (dealership markup) is specified and limited.

In the next couple weeks we will work out all the specifics.

I gave them a $1,000 deposit.

Not exactly the game I was hoping for but at least I am not so much left hanging and I now have a relationship that I believe I can count on according to the contract.

Edit: These are the facts as I was told and I do not guarantee everything is Gospel.
New 2022 Ford F150 Trim Chart.jpg
this has me looking more at the xlt over the lariat now

OP
OP
Sdctcher

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
I have been using this thread to document my order process in case it might give someone else a roadmap. If you are not interested do not read on.

My reservation timestamp is 12 hours after reveal.

On December 14th I got an email from Ford informing me that my small dealer (11 reservations) had an ownership change and I was assigned a new dealer. Also, that the change would not affect my reservation and they refunded my $100. The "new" dealership is at the same location and has the same employees. I was at their door within an hour.

I was assured I was their #2 ranked reservation (the #1 being the Finance Manager's brother-in-law). I asked for Priority and they offered it to me with a $3,000 ADM. The brother-in-law decided against paying the ADM. I decided that paying this ADM would be about equal to adding inflation to waiting for a 2023 model. That was MY CHOICE SO DO NOT LECTURE ME OR THIS THREAD.

I signed a "Vehicle Bill Of Sale" with the following provisions written in:

1. Price over MSRP Not to Exceed $3,000.
2. MSRP Not to Exceed $80,000.
3. I was to be Priority #1 on the Dealer List to be submitted December 17th.
4. With my $100 now being refunded I gave them a new $1,000 deposit, no more to be due until delivery.

Today I went in and was shown the Priority List that was submitted. I AM #1. According to the dealer hey have been allotted 5 Lightnings for 2022 MY.

The dealer believes I get more up-to-date knowledge than they by following this Forum. He has no inside knowledge of the Wave Ordering Process to begin January 5th (Second Wave January 19th) but he and I surmise the following (an educated guess):

1. Every dealership that submitted a "Priority List" by last Friday will have those Reservation Numbers put on a Wave List. The Wave List will be ordered by their Reservation Numbers and Invitations will go out to the first (Insert Unknown Number) of Priorities.

2. This Wave Process (#1 Wave, #2 Wave, Etc.) will continue until all Priorities have been exhausted, then they will start with the Regular Reservation Numbers lowest first until exhausted.

3. Each Wave of Invitations will have a "Shelf Life" of 2 weeks to either Order or be put back on the Reservation List, to be re-invited at a later date.

4. Unknown is which other variables Ford might add such as Dealership Size, City/State/Canada Location, ZEV State, or Region.

After an Order is submitted, Reservation means nothing. Available Trims and Options are First Come, First Serve until each is exhausted.

REMEMBER - THIS IS NOT FROM FORD! IT IS A SERIES OF GUESSES!

Our plan going forward is the minute I receive an invitation (if so lucky) and the Build & Order is available I will Build online, send to dealer, print a copy, and run down to the dealer to make sure it is submitted. That plan was agreeable by the dealership.

Looking forward to January 5th (or before for the Build and Order Page).

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
I have been using this thread to document my order process in case it might give someone else a roadmap. If you are not interested do not read on.

My reservation timestamp is 12 hours after reveal.

On December 14th I got an email from Ford informing me that my small dealer (11 reservations) had an ownership change and I was assigned a new dealer. Also, that the change would not affect my reservation and they refunded my $100. The "new" dealership is at the same location and has the same employees. I was at their door within an hour.

I was assured I was their #2 ranked reservation (the #1 being the Finance Manager's brother-in-law). I asked for Priority and they offered it to me with a $3,000 ADM. The brother-in-law decided against paying the ADM. I decided that paying this ADM would be about equal to adding inflation to waiting for a 2023 model. That was MY CHOICE SO DO NOT LECTURE ME OR THIS THREAD.

I signed a "Vehicle Bill Of Sale" with the following provisions written in:

1. Price over MSRP Not to Exceed $3,000.
2. MSRP Not to Exceed $80,000.
3. I was to be Priority #1 on the Dealer List to be submitted December 17th.
4. With my $100 now being refunded I gave them a new $1,000 deposit, no more to be due until delivery.

Today I went in and was shown the Priority List that was submitted. I AM #1. According to the dealer hey have been allotted 5 Lightnings for 2022 MY.

The dealer believes I get more up-to-date knowledge than they by following this Forum. He has no inside knowledge of the Wave Ordering Process to begin January 5th (Second Wave January 19th) but he and I surmise the following (an educated guess):

1. Every dealership that submitted a "Priority List" by last Friday will have those Reservation Numbers put on a Wave List. The Wave List will be ordered by their Reservation Numbers and Invitations will go out to the first (Insert Unknown Number) of Priorities.

2. This Wave Process (#1 Wave, #2 Wave, Etc.) will continue until all Priorities have been exhausted, then they will start with the Regular Reservation Numbers lowest first until exhausted.

3. Each Wave of Invitations will have a "Shelf Life" of 2 weeks to either Order or be put back on the Reservation List, to be re-invited at a later date.

4. Unknown is which other variables Ford might add such as Dealership Size, City/State/Canada Location, ZEV State, or Region.

After an Order is submitted, Reservation means nothing. Available Trims and Options are First Come, First Serve until each is exhausted.

REMEMBER - THIS IS NOT FROM FORD! IT IS A SERIES OF GUESSES!

Our plan going forward is the minute I receive an invitation (if so lucky) and the Build & Order is available I will Build online, send to dealer, print a copy, and run down to the dealer to make sure it is submitted. That plan was agreeable by the dealership.

Looking forward to January 5th (or before for the Build and Order Page).
I offered to pay a little over msrp as well. Between the price going up year after year, my day three reservation and the loss of the full federal tax credit it seems a no brainer. My dealer ranked me #1 and only gets extra if I receive a MY22 Lightning. Otherwise it’s msrp with no markups. Being number 50 on the list makes me think 2024 was in my future lol.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
How can OP put "Placed order" in title? You just pre-ordered it! (n)
This thread is quite old and the title has always sucked.

Sponsored

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
How many people on this thread are willing to pay over MSRP? Just how much money is the Lightning actually worth to you all? Let’s just start right now and tell ALL the dealerships out there how valuable the Lightning is worth and what the consumers are willing to pay. Yep, just go ahead and ruin it for the rest of us. IMO, keep your trap shut, make the best deal you can and don’t post anything on this forum about price. Dealerships are reading.

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
How many people on this thread are willing to pay over MSRP? Just how much money is the Lightning actually worth to you all? Let’s just start right now and tell ALL the dealerships out there how valuable the Lightning is worth and what the consumers are willing to pay. Yep, just go ahead and ruin it for the rest of us. IMO, keep your trap shut, make the best deal you can and don’t post anything on this forum about price. Dealerships are reading.
I bet they didn’t know that with 200k reservations it was sought after and people would pay over. They definitely haven’t seen this recently with the Bronco and Mach-E…….

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
I bet they didn’t know that with 200k reservations it was sought after and people would pay over. They definitely haven’t seen this recently with the Bronco and Mach-E…….
Ford sells 900,000 F150 trucks every year, so, NO it’s not surprising at all. And, there’s not many people paying over MSRP. So, yea, the F150 is/has been the best selling vehicle Ford has.

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Ford sells 900,000 F150 trucks every year, so, NO it’s not surprising at all. And, there’s not many people paying over MSRP. So, yea, the F150 is/has been the best selling vehicle Ford has.
You can’t lump the lightning in with the rest of the F150 line because of availability. I can go get one off the lot or order one right now, not so with the Lightning. Every dealer could mark it up 10k and sell everyone they will get for 2 years easily and they know it. They aren’t learning about the demand on some forum. They can all see how many reservations are at their dealer and how many allocations and they can math I’m sure.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Ford does not sell 900,000 F150's annually. I think this is the second time you have made that claim. (it could have been someone else, but it was the same claim)
I think you mean total Ford trucks from F150, F250, F350, F450.... F Series trucks.

And you can't possibly believe this forum is going to influence how much you will have to pay for your Lightning.

This forum, and every forum concerning the Lightning probably doesn't represent one day's production of the F150.
Sponsored