First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Sho, 2021 F150 Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Retired United States Army
As some of you may know I had a ETA of 11 May 2021 (5 days away) as of yesterday I now have an ETA of 7 Aug 2021 (93 days away). I know some of you a have been waiting for a really long time. My question to those that get pushed to the end of summer.

I'm kind of on the fence of what to do, the 2022 models should be rolling (if they get the chip issue going) in the fall. With an Aug delivery date, you would have a truck that on paper is already a year depreciated, not to mention missing some of the mid build adds (like the new weight system). You also have, in line the Raptor, and the Lightning to come out (again not sure with the chip situation).

I'm thinking:

1. They will need to lower the price to reflect a truck that is a year old. (to keep me interested)

2. Cancel the order and look into a 22 model or Lighting (could induce another long wait)

Not trying to stir the pot, just curious what others are thinking.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Roady

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
Occupation
Information Technology
As we move into the summer months, this is actually a really good discussion to start having. I think the situation is going to be different for everyone. Some people don't mind waiting, some will want to decline their orders and shoot for the latest model. Other factors will be if you have a trade in or not. Right now, used car / truck values are thru the roof. What happens if the suppliers suddenly catch up and manufactures start flooding the market with trucks that have been sitting around? Our values go right down the tubes. You could be looking at a potential loss of thousands of dollars in trade in value.

jperry5835

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid Platinum
I have been debating on exactly this for the last month or so. Currently I figured I would keep my truck in line and coming (maybe) and make a decision before signing the dotted line. I keep going back and forth on what to do though, on one side I see your points and on the other I think prices for new vehicles are going to go up quite dramatically from what I negotiated mine for. Then eventually, supply will catch up with demand and price will go back to whatever normal is. Question is how far off is that.

OP
OP
Chasinsparks

Chasinsparks

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
As we move into the summer months, this is actually a really good discussion to start having. I think the situation is going to be different for everyone. Some people don't mind waiting, some will want to decline their orders and shoot for the latest model. Other factors will be if you have a trade in or not. Right now, used car / truck values are thru the roof. What happens if the suppliers suddenly catch up and manufactures start flooding the market with trucks that have been sitting around? Our values go right down the tubes. You could be looking at a potential loss of thousands of dollars in trade in value.

All excellent points, for me I won't be doing a trade. There is a very good possibility there is going be a stockpile of trucks on lots when the chip shortage gets sorted out, this could take some time. Very interesting to say the least. Thanks for chiming in.

jhopkinson

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150, 2013 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Tech Director
The trade value on my vehicle is one of the main factors for me getting a new truck right now. I really wasn't looking but for the heck of it I put in my vehicle info into carvana and their offer was 5k more than I paid for it in December. So I found a dealer close that would pretty much match the offer and we worked out a deal. Unfortunately they sold the truck before I got there but offered to order me a new one and "Lock In" my trade value. Salesman sent me a purchase order with everything on it and said they would honor it. I have worked with too many dealers to have faith this will actually happen...Carvana is picking it up Friday. =)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chasinsparks

Chasinsparks

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I have been debating on exactly this for the last month or so. Currently I figured I would keep my truck in line and coming (maybe) and make a decision before signing the dotted line. I keep going back and forth on what to do though, on one side I see your points and on the other I think prices for new vehicles are going to go up quite dramatically from what I negotiated mine for. Then eventually, supply will catch up with demand and price will go back to whatever normal is. Question is how far off is that.
I have had the same exact thoughts. That is what led me to this discussion to see what others could bring to the table so that I and everyone else could get a look at the big picture. Thanks for you input.

OP
OP
Chasinsparks

Chasinsparks

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
The trade value on my vehicle is one of the main factors for me getting a new truck right now. I really wasn't looking but for the heck of it I put in my vehicle info into carvana and their offer was 5k more than I paid for it in December. So I found a dealer close that would pretty much match the offer and we worked out a deal. Unfortunately they sold the truck before I got there but offered to order me a new one and "Lock In" my trade value. Salesman sent me a purchase order with everything on it and said they would honor it. I have worked with too many dealers to have faith this will actually happen...Carvana is picking it up Friday. =)

OP
OP
Chasinsparks

Chasinsparks

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

Hopefully, it works out for you. For me I have no trade, and not worried about any financing. My concern is the price of the truck. And that they keep adding stuff mid build and the fact that it will nearly a year old on paper. In the event you ever want to sell i think it would be a factor to a potential buyer and in the long run could cost you a few dollars in value.

Tecdiver

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Corporate shill
As some of you may know I had a ETA of 11 May 2021 (5 days away) as of yesterday I now have an ETA of 7 Aug 2021 (93 days away). I know some of you a have been waiting for a really long time. My question to those that get pushed to the end of summer.

I'm kind of on the fence of what to do, the 2022 models should be rolling (if they get the chip issue going) in the fall. With an Aug delivery date, you would have a truck that on paper is already a year depreciated, not to mention missing some of the mid build adds (like the new weight system). You also have, in line the Raptor, and the Lightning to come out (again not sure with the chip situation).

I'm thinking:

1. They will need to lower the price to reflect a truck that is a year old. (to keep me interested)

2. Cancel the order and order a look into a 22 model or Lighting (could induce another long wait)

Not trying to stir the pot, just curious what others are thinking.
Oh boy. I'm in the same boat. ETA May 15th - so I wonder if I'm going to get bumped in the coming few days..... One thing though - and I don't know if this has an impact, but I have a current Lariat EB LEASE that ended on 4/15. I'm keeping the truck until my new one arrives, so I wonder if that plays into whether or not my date doesn't get pushed?

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I have had mine for 3 months now, so take this with a grain of salt.
( ordered in august-delivered in February)

if I cared one iota in the value of a year old truck, I would wait for the new model year. Chances are pretty fair that I would consider just that if I were still waiting. Six months to 14 months would not have bothered me in the least if pricing was not drastically changed.

But, at the same time time, I tend to keep my cars pretty much until the wheels fall off, and I am not prone to buying a vehicle with a bunch of stuff that I will only use once to set and forget.

The reasons I even bought a new one was because of the impression they made with me over about5 years of renting in my work travels.
My Ranger, I never was very fond of it as it rode too rough.(2005)
Sold that and kept the old Chevy k1500 (1998)

I will most likely drive this new one until it is flat worn out with little concern over value. Should take a very long time and one of the kids may end up with it (if I die in a good mood).
Concern about value is a moot point as it is paid for and it is pretty much Ford’s responsibility to keep it working for 8 years.

if I were one to trade in on a regular basis as many do, I would definitely wait for the new model year to become available.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chasinsparks

Chasinsparks

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Oh boy. I'm in the same boat. ETA May 15th - so I wonder if I'm going to get bumped in the coming few days..... One thing though - and I don't know if this has an impact, but I have a current Lariat EB LEASE that ended on 4/15. I'm keeping the truck until my new one arrives, so I wonder if that plays into whether or not my date doesn't get pushed?
Not sure it that plays a roll or not. Hopefully you don't get pushed. Kind of weird, I went from 6 days to 93 days, and on the 29th of April it was in getting a spray in bedliner, did they crash the truck and have to start from scratch LOL.

jhopkinson

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150, 2013 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Tech Director
I too thought about waiting for the 2022, but I have a feeling with the cost of everything going up there could be a substantial price increase for 2022. What I'm really hoping for is that Ford just converts our orders to 2022 model year and honor our orders as priced. I'm pretty sure GM did just that with the 2020 vette, converted orders to 2021 units.

OP
OP
Chasinsparks

Chasinsparks

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I have had mine for 3 months now, so take this with a grain of salt.
( ordered in august-delivered in February)

if I cared one iota in the value of a year old truck, I would wait for the new model year. Chances are pretty fair that I would consider just that if I were still waiting. Six months to 14 months would not have bothered me in the least if pricing was not drastically changed.

But, at the same time time, I tend to keep my cars pretty much until the wheels fall off, and I am not prone to buying a vehicle with a bunch of stuff that I will only use once to set and forget.

The reasons I even bought a new one was because of the impression they made with me over about5 years of renting in my work travels.
My Ranger, I never was very fond of it as it rode too rough.(2005)
Sold that and kept the old Chevy k1500 (1998)

I will most likely drive this new one until it is flat worn out with little concern over value. Should take a very long time and one of the kids may end up with it (if I die in a good mood).
Concern about value is a moot point as it is paid for and it is pretty much Ford’s responsibility to keep it working for 8 years.

if I were one to trade in on a regular basis as many do, I would definitely wait for the new model year to become available.
Good points, I usually don't keep mine very long. This one maybe different

JoeBlowFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Plat PB (Job 1)
I don't have any confidence that the supply problem will be resolved by the time they start manufacturing the 2022s. Ford has already announced that their negotiated commodities prices are about to expire and they expect increases on nearly everything, which I take to mean that consumer prices will also be increasing.

The thing that could get me to consider abandoning my 2021 order, is if when the new trucks are being built, they are fully built, and ship immediately. I don't like the idea of parts being installed after the fact, outside the normal assembly line process. I feel like it could lead to quality control issues.

I think it's quite possible that we could order 2022s and then wait 6 months to get them in hand, just like right now with the 2021s.

OP
OP
Chasinsparks

Chasinsparks

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I don't have any confidence that the supply problem will be resolved by the time they start manufacturing the 2022s. Ford has already announced that their negotiated commodities prices are about to expire and they expect increases on nearly everything, which I take to mean that consumer prices will also be increasing.

The thing that could get me to consider abandoning my 2021 order, is if when the new trucks are being built, they are fully built, and ship immediately. I don't like the idea of parts being installed after the fact, outside the normal assembly line process. I feel like it could lead to quality control issues.

I think it's quite possible that we could order 2022s and then wait 6 months to get them in hand, just like right now with the 2021s.
I totally agree, everything is passed on to the consumer. The investors will never take a pay cut.
Sponsored