Options for gaining payload

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB
@Blue Spruce - Thank you for the detailed response! You guess right on the trailer - Escape 5.0, which we are buying for the some of the same reasons you listed.

Yes - we have considered 3.5EB (better but hardly great payload numbers) or even 5.0 (where one can forget about looking at the payload math in our situation). If the payload doesn’t work out, we are definitely prepared to move to one of these alternatives.

And, if switching to another gasoline engine, we can get a 2 kW built in generator with 2021 F150. The PB generator is a bit different than you write. Since PB has batteries, the truck does not necessary need to idle. It would idle on and off only if needed, i.e., the batteries in PB are not sufficient to meet the the external ask. So, for the low power need to just recharge the trailer batteries - the truck might not need to come on at all. One also does not need to carry extra fuel for the external generator. That’s what makes the built in 7.5 generator a far more attractive option for us than an extra generator.

As a part of customizations, we have chosen to go with a (non-propane) compressor fridge and lithium batteries. So, having a generator (built-in or otherwise) is necessary for the event that the batteries are not charged.

It will be just me and my wife - no children and families far away - that will be camping. We anticipate being on the lower end in terms of weight needs. While the weight needs are a bit harder to establish as this is our first camping trailer and truck, we have been camping a long time and know our style (which is minimalistic). It may change with the trailer but will still reflect our lifestyle.

So, we are within a shouting distance of being able to fit within the payload numbers for the PB (with judicious elimination of a couple of options). And, as @Roger350 said - the PB truck is powerful enough to this small trailer. So, if we can stay within the payload limit - it would suit us better. If we can get to 1450 lbs in payload, that might be enough for us. At least, that’s what we are thinking...
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
Hi, Kavm...and the group. Be sure to check out bedrug.com (see the posts on the F150 forum) as a clever (and even more knee friendly) option to a spray in liner. I couldn't find weight info from Bedrug but I'm guessing it's 15-20# and so a 20-25# weight savings for us. Also, I'm disappointed that Ford forces the Power Tailgate on us if we are choosing the step feature in the tailgate so we can get into the damn trunk bed (a $1100 cost and some amount of weight gain). But Weathertech has a nice hitch mounted step to use when the hitch is removed...and if the hitch is in place, it's my step.

I purchased an aftermarket soft tonneau cover for our earlier Tacoma, it was well made and not difficult to install, and it kept out 99% of the dust and heavy rainstorm water. It's a lighter option than a hard cover, and a good compromise for you, IMO But unless you use the truck for non-towing purposes, you don't need one.. For us, we'll go with the stock 3-panel hard tonneau cover that Ford offers. Cheaper than the after market options and, without a spray-in liner, I'd like things to be as air/water tight as possible plus I like the security.

Jack

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks a lot Jack! I did look at hat website. Seems like a nice idea. We expect to have the 5th wheel hitch mounted on rails installed in our bed. Even when the hitch if off - the rails will remain. So, this will not work. But, hopefully others can benefit.

We will order without the bed liner and tonneau. When we have the truck and trailer, the payload and have actually weighed it a couple of times - we will know more clearly what room, if any, we have to add more weight. We can decide on the liner / tonneau without that.

I have, however, been reading the 2018 F150 option weights PDF you posted. And - I am looking to
  • Drop max trailer tow (26 lbs) for trailer tow package.
  • Add trailer tow (11 lbs). I think that's the right number. The 2018 option weight specifications contains two numbers: (a) Trailer Tow -medium duty - 11 lbs and (b) Trailer tow - heavy duty - 25 lbs.
This would lead to payload gain of 15 lbs. I should note that the weight / payload difference is likely not easily extrapolated from 2017 to 2021 for a number of reason.

In any case, the max trailer tow contains the following additional features over the (regular) trailer tow:
  • Tailgate LED - not material with Plat, 701A
  • 3.55 locked differential - not applicable - as the Power Boost already has 3.73 locked differential
  • 36 gallon fuel tank - not applicable with Power Boost
  • Upgraded rear bumper - This is the only difference! This is not important to me but I am sure this adds the extra weight
So, I am planning to drop to the regular trailer tow and gain a bit more payload.

So, if one is getting the PB engine - the value from the max trailer tow seems to be very marginal (unless one wants the upgraded bumper - likely same as the regular bumper but with stronger bracing behind the bumper). Pulling a 5th wheel - bumper is a much smaller consideration for me.

DW2020

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR PB
FYI, I understand Max Tow also includes a heavier duty rear-axle with a higher rear axle weight rating. For a 5th wheel without the ability to use weight distribution bars to shift weight forward, that might be useful.

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you! That would be very useful. I did not see that in the source I was looking at but will research some more. Thanks for pointing out!

Sponsored

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
So, if one is getting the PB engine - the value from the max trailer tow seems to be very marginal (unless one wants the upgraded bumper - likely same as the regular bumper but with stronger bracing behind the bumper). Pulling a 5th wheel - bumper is a much smaller consideration for me.
You also lose the bigger rear brakes when you drop the Max Tow package. I do not think dropping Max Tow to gain 15 lbs of payload capability is worth it on a truck that you are specifically purchasing for towing.

OP
OP

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you! Seems like that was a poor idea :)
Sponsored