Sponsored

One month with the 2023 F-150, here are my thoughts...

Highway 11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XLT Sport 2.7L
I'm at the dealership getting some stuff corrected on the F150, so seeing as we're almost a month from when I picked it up, I thought I'd put thought to keyboard and list out some thoughts on the F150 (Yes, I'm bored).

Overall, I have no regrets (apart from the fact I want but can't justify buying a Tremor...)

Things I Like

Fuel Economy:
The 2.7 Ecoboost can get my truck to 60 mph just under 6 seconds and gets 12.3L/100km (19.2mpg) driving around town. My 2017 Ford Escape was getting 11.8L/100km so I haven't had a major increase in fuel costs.

Drive Modes: Sport makes it feel like a hot-rod with way too much power for its own good, and slippery has gotten through several winter storms as of late.

Ride Quality: It's a truck. It rides like a truck. But for a truck, it rides really nice. I take the truck on my long distance drives and find it much more enjoyable than any car I've owned. I bought the FX4 package because I wanted a firmer ride than on the standard truck and I have no regrets on that front.

Security: Ram 1500s are disappearing from driveways around here everyday due to a security flaw. Not a single 2021+ F150 has been stolen.

Things I Don't Like

Initial Quality:
I've had connectivity problems for weeks, the steering wheel came with a gouge in it, and my front bumper is completely misaligned. The dealership is making things right but it shouldn't fall to them to fix what came from Ford. I am fully aware it's Job #1 for the 2023 year, but when your TCUs in Mach Es, Broncos, and F-150s are all locking up, it's a sign that quality was not a priority.

Bed Camera: The 360 cameras are great. The bed camera has the resolution of a potato. What gives, Ford?

Things I Could Take or Leave

Console Shifter:
I wanted a column shifter. I hated the console shifter. It's grown on me quite a bit to the point where I kinda like it, but I still would have preferred a column shifter. At least it's not a dial?

2023 Deletes: I lost the front camera rinser on the 2023. I'm not too bothered by this considering the rinser on every Ford Explorer I've driven at work (We're up to about 2 dozen) is broken by 100,000 km.
Sponsored

Bob Violence

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 501A FX4 Powerboost
Re: Console Shifter

I saw a video of someone from Ford explaining why they have it. Supposedly their research showed that customers didn't want a dial. I will admit it feels kinda nice shifting the truck into gear, but it's a complete gimmick, especially with the whole "fold flat" thing. It's not like there is any type of linkage going to the transmission from days of yore. It would not have bothered me if Ford went with a dial or push-button setup, as it probably would have saved space and not be as prone to breakage.

Amizar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat FX4/2020 Expedition
I would like a dial, so that there would be more room in the console, like on the super duty. I can use the work surface anytime.
My Expedition has the dial, and the other spot is the drive mode/4x4. So at least this has a small extra spot in front of it. I do wish it was a column shifter though. So much more room without that crap in the cupholders. I miss my 4 cupholders in my Superduty. I don't miss the ride.

Old Bear

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 King Ranch Powerboost
Occupation
Information Technology
I haven't been in my '23 Powerboost for a month yet, and also come from a F-350 dually (and two F-250s before that). Speaking of the SD four-cup holder, I used it for that once or twice over three years. Otherwise, it was the junk drawer. I like the console shifter, probably because I am old. I do use the "hole" where the shifter can drop whatever into for temporary catch spot. I have the dial in the wife's Pacifica, never have cared for those - just feels weird. A column shifter would have been okay, certainly not a deal breaker. I have used the work surface as well, quite handy!

The only thing that was wrong on the truck so far is the entire truck was coated in white paint overspray. Even the wheels! The detail shop that did my ceramic coating said their best guess is the truck had either sat at or was transported through an area where some commercial painting was going on, such as a water tower or rail car. Regardless, his shop cleaned it up real nice!

The heated steering wheel delete is my biggest gripe. I also wanted the "lay-flat" seats, but I'll manage. But still learning things, still tweaking and adding things. And seeing 25mpg+ around town in a full size pickup puts a big grin on my face!

Sponsored

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
The only thing that was wrong on the truck so far is the entire truck was coated in white paint overspray. Even the wheels! The detail shop that did my ceramic coating said their best guess is the truck had either sat at or was transported through an area where some commercial painting was going on, such as a water tower or rail car. Regardless, his shop cleaned it up real nice!
I’d put good money on it it’s from graffiti if it was transported by rail car. I’ve dealt with a few warranty claims from that

mrtull

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT SCrew SB, FX4 with Tow
Occupation
Teacher
Today, I found the best place to park with good wifi. I figure with OTA every little bIt helps!

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
I'd be fine with a nice dial that felt satisfying putting into gear than the folding console shifter. That thing just feels cheap and like it's going to break one of these days. I think I'd rather have extra storage or perhaps a way to widen the cup holders instead of the current shifter. I don't really rest my hand on the console shifter like I did with my past cars just because the center armrest is so big.

bfastr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 King Ranch 5.0 V8
I'd be fine with a nice dial that felt satisfying putting into gear than the folding console shifter. That thing just feels cheap and like it's going to break one of these days. I think I'd rather have extra storage or perhaps a way to widen the cup holders instead of the current shifter. I don't really rest my hand on the console shifter like I did with my past cars just because the center armrest is so big.

I really thought the console shifter would be cool. but you are right, feels a little flimsy, and without the work surface thing whats the point of folding it up?
my buddy has an XLT with the column shifter and it feels "right"
I too would rather have the empty storage basin. but its all good. just happy to be sitting in the drivers seat finally

Sponsored

WestlakeHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 (on order)
I love the console shifter. It just feels more satisfying than a dial and much better than the column shifter on the wife’s Escalade. I think it goes back to my youth and driving manual transmission vehicles.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I doubt seriously Ford manufacturers the TCU. And the fact that several models all manufacturerd at the same time are sharing the issue, kinda implies that the supplying manufacturer has quality control issues.
Ford and their customers both are the unfortunate victims.

But I get your point.

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Wife has a '22 Bronco Sport with the dial shifter. Def takes some getting used to.
I don't drive it often at all. So still not there.....

OP
OP
Highway 11

Highway 11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 XLT Sport 2.7L
I didn't think I'd start something over the shifter... but FCA/Stallantis/etc. has done well with their shifters. I've driven a column shift Charger with a satisfying mechanical action, a Durango with a really nice electronic console shifter, and the Ram's dial shifter, unsatisfying as a dial is, is eons better than the ones in the Escape and Bronco Sport.

GM's push button shifter in the Tahoe is weird but intuitive once you get used to it. Don't know why GM decided to make it more complicated by putting a weird electronic console shifter in the Silverados.
Sponsored

Last edited: