Sponsored

Onboard Scales, does yours read 0 when truck is as built off the line (no driver, no additional weight)?

skiteton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat PB | 2022 Explorer ST
So bumping my old thread. Ford just called, they found the issue /w the app not connecting via bluetooth. They have promised a fix in the next version of the fordpass app. I am Cautiously optimistic this may fix it.

If my ticket is the one that fixes this for everyone I expect many thanks and thumbs up in this thread lol. We will see.
My Onboard Scales are not working nor connecting to the FordPass App.

I have an OBD MX+ but only use it with my iPhone. Can I check their current calibration settings via iOS or will I need to get a laptop?
Sponsored

vidwiz

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I just ran across this thread today after searching scales info.

On FB there was a guy using Forscan to lower the weight his truck was reporting on his onboard scales. His scales were reporting about 1200 lbs as the current load and he said he was able to lower it to 500 lbs. I would link to the post on FB but I don’t think I can? The video didn’t really show much.

I took a screenshot of the vid. I can see he is in the VDM module and there are two adjustments. Payload weight in kg and lb.

I looked in Forscan and all I have for the VDM module is the as-built. No plain English option. So I couldn’t even get to where he was. I have the latest Forscan version too.

Hmmm.

Here is the screenshot.

998D92E7-6477-46BD-B9C5-7525F43CDD72.png
I finally found time to play with this. My Forscan displays the same plain English option, it's under VDM. I took photos of the scales display and did some calculations. I didn't empty the truck but estimated what I had loaded in it, I'm confident I was within 10lbs. I also noted that I could make the bar move slightly by just bouncing myself in the cab, so it seemed to have fairly good resolution. Kind of hard to explain but by enlarging the photos in an editing app and using a tool to count the pixels between bars and using some simple algebra, as well as accounting for the weight loaded, I was able to make some conclusions as to how many pounds mine was off. In my case I came up with 329lbs, the truck was displaying the current weight bar 329lbs too high. (As a test as to my accuracy with this method I also used before and after photos with myself in the truck and out of it, running a calculation to compute my own bodyweight. I was within 5lbs so that gave me further confidence.) So I added that to my payload indicated both in the display and on the placard and edited the lbs field to reflect that. WRONG! It had the opposite effect, now the display was even further off. So instead I subtracted it. And now it shows where it should be, or very close to it, pic attached. Certainly close enough for my purposes. And this did not change the payload displayed, it stayed the same. So it would appear I possibly self calibrated it.

Ford F-150 Onboard Scales, does yours read 0 when truck is as built off the line (no driver, no additional weight)? scales

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
I finally found time to play with this. My Forscan displays the same plain English option, it's under VDM. I took photos of the scales display and did some calculations. I didn't empty the truck but estimated what I had loaded in it, I'm confident I was within 10lbs. I also noted that I could make the bar move slightly by just bouncing myself in the cab, so it seemed to have fairly good resolution. Kind of hard to explain but by enlarging the photos in an editing app and using a tool to count the pixels between bars and using some simple algebra, as well as accounting for the weight loaded, I was able to make some conclusions as to how many pounds mine was off. In my case I came up with 329lbs, the truck was displaying the current weight bar 329lbs too high. (As a test as to my accuracy with this method I also used before and after photos with myself in the truck and out of it, running a calculation to compute my own bodyweight. I was within 5lbs so that gave me further confidence.) So I added that to my payload indicated both in the display and on the placard and edited the lbs field to reflect that. WRONG! It had the opposite effect, now the display was even further off. So instead I subtracted it. And now it shows where it should be, or very close to it, pic attached. Certainly close enough for my purposes. And this did not change the payload displayed, it stayed the same. So it would appear I possibly self calibrated it.

scales.jpg
Nice work! Really should be like that from the factory.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Nice work! Really should be like that from the factory.
I agree! @vidwiz, would you be willing to explain your forscan changes? I'd be interested in playing with it myself, but haven't played around with forscan for more than a week, so I'm not confident enough with it yet to do anything more than follow somebody else's directions.

Reactions: 780

vidwiz

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I agree! @vidwiz, would you be willing to explain your forscan changes? I'd be interested in playing with it myself, but haven't played around with forscan for more than a week, so I'm not confident enough with it yet to do anything more than follow somebody else's directions.
It's easy just start forscan and get it talking to your ford, go to the vdm section (not as built) and it's just like the photo posted, only 2 parameters, just change the lbs as described.

Sponsored

bdara

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 LARIAT 502A PowerBoost
Occupation
Engineer
Has anyone taken the time to compare the Curt BetterWeigh OBD thingy to the onboard scales by Ford? I have 2022 PB Lariat without scales and had thoughts that I am missing out on knowing my payload weight while loading my trailer. I've read maybe every thread there is about possibly adding scales to models with adjustable headlights and even the effects of aftermarket shocks/levels/ and RAS modifications. I LOVE the idea of seeing the taillights mimic your payload but at this point I'm not sure if this pursuit is anything more than my OCD...
Sponsored