Sponsored

Onboard Scales, does yours read 0 when truck is as built off the line (no driver, no additional weight)?

JPSoup

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'82 CJ, '18 F150 KR (former), '22 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Sales
Given what all of you are saying, should I take the CCD/OBS off my build and just put on aftermarket suspension/small lift-level and save $ and headaches?
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Gonna take some digging, and it might be beyond the scope of FDRS or Forscan, but it will be cool if we can discover a method to access that starting value.

These trucks are rolling computers modules.

OP
OP

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Given what all of you are saying, should I take the CCD/OBS off my build and just put on aftermarket suspension/small lift-level and save $ and headaches?
Couple of thoughts. I don't do lifts or after-market suspensions, so not sure how that would/could affect CCD or Scales operations.

If your truck is also your daily driver, including many times passengers, then I think CCD is definitely worth it.

On the Scales function there are 2 (possibly 3, read below) functions.

One is Scale mode, that works, and you can reset to 0 and then see what you are adding.

The other is Vehicle Mode, this one is not starting at 0 for "empty" truck (i.e. as built by Ford), which makes it worthless so far. I'm hoping there will be a fix or something in ForScan that can help.

The third function, if you have some of the Tow Packages is Smart Hitch. I don't have my trailer yet, so can't completely check it out. But Smart Hitch will help you get your tongue weight between 10% and 15% of your trailer using the same Scales hardware. I believe that will work, as you get to reset Hitch Weight to 0 before hitching up (and you input your trailer weight), then it shows added weight when you hitch up. Also, you should then be able to see changes as you adjust your WDH.

So to summarize, CCD is worth it (unless just a work/farm truck, not daily driver). Scale mode worth it. Smart Hitch (if you tow and got the tow packages) worth it.

Vehicle mode to see how close your coming to hitting your GVWR (i.e. using up your Payload number) is NOT working.

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Platinum
Beware of the automatic taring in Scale Mode. If it is taking you a while to load the truck and it shuts off; when you start the truck back up, the Scale Mode goes back to zero. I actually prefer the standard vehicle mode because of this.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
The third function, if you have some of the Tow Packages is Smart Hitch. I don't have my trailer yet, so can't completely check it out. But Smart Hitch will help you get your tongue weight between 10% and 15% of your trailer using the same Scales hardware. I believe that will work, as you get to reset Hitch Weight to 0 before hitching up (and you input your trailer weight), then it shows added weight when you hitch up. Also, you should then be able to see changes as you adjust your WDH.
I only briefly looked at the smart hitch, but I thought I recall it asking for the trailer weight first. In order to get a true trailer weight, I'd have to take it to cat scales. If I am going to cat scales, the I don't need this gimmick ford feature that only 1 of the 3 modes works.

At this point, I kind of feel that I should not have gotten the Max Tow with Onboard Scales and just stuck with Trailer Tow on my XLT Powerboost and just use cat scales for heavy Travel Trailer loads. And then for home depot sod and soil runs, just watch the rear squat. That's what we've done for years putting sod and soil in our Odyssey with the seats removed and placing loads on a large tarp.

If we ever get updated from Ford or they fix these features, then maybe I'll change my view.

Reactions: 780

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The failed functionality inevitably sullys the overall value equation. Or put another way, if Ford offered a new onboard scale option that was ONLY the tare capable feature presented as a way to weigh your total cargo or your trailer tongue, we wouldn't be nearly as disappointed.

Instead it comes across as overpromised and underdelivered.

I personally think $600 would be something that I would have considered for just the feature being a legitimate cargo scale.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
The failed functionality inevitably sullys the overall value equation. Or put another way, if Ford offered a new onboard scale option that was ONLY the tare capable feature presented as a way to weigh your total cargo or your trailer tongue, we wouldn't be nearly as disappointed.

Instead it comes across as overpromised and underdelivered.

I personally think $600 would be something that I would have considered for just the feature being a legitimate cargo scale.
agree, but currently between the two modes, they aren't consistent with each other. :)

wayne b

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB
Beware of the automatic taring in Scale Mode. If it is taking you a while to load the truck and it shuts off; when you start the truck back up, the Scale Mode goes back to zero. I actually prefer the standard vehicle mode because of this.
I use the F-150 to tow and I think this happened to me recently. Hitched up, turned the car off, but the scale mode was at zero even with the full trailer weight. So I don't think I hit the "reset to zero" button but I was very confused why one was showing nearly full payload and the other zero (so confused I took a video).

Somewhat related topic, I have never been able to figure out the Smart Hitch feature. I see the payload on the scale is going up 700lbs, but even when I put in 6,000 for trailer weight it never registers 10%+.

Attachments

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There is a onboard scales calibration in FDRS. Wonder if that would resolve some issues.
Good find. When my truck ever arrives I will throw FDRS on it and see what's possible

Sponsored

OP
OP

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
I use the F-150 to tow and I think this happened to me recently. Hitched up, turned the car off, but the scale mode was at zero even with the full trailer weight. So I don't think I hit the "reset to zero" button but I was very confused why one was showing nearly full payload and the other zero (so confused I took a video).

Somewhat related topic, I have never been able to figure out the Smart Hitch feature. I see the payload on the scale is going up 700lbs, but even when I put in 6,000 for trailer weight it never registers 10%+.
Yes, in Scale Mode (i.e. horizontal graph), you ALWAYS have to Reset to 0 before loading anything you want to measure.

Same for Smart Hitch, BEFORE hitching up, you have to Reset Hitch Weight to 0, then hitch up. Not sure if that's what you did.

OP
OP

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
There is a onboard scales calibration in FDRS. Wonder if that would resolve some issues.
Are you active on FDRS thread, do you know if anyone over there has Onboard Scales?

I found in ForScan (that's all I have) there were a couple of registers (address) that had either Weight or Scale (I used global search on the spreadsheet).

For Scale there was some entries that looked like it just Enabled or Disabled Onboard Scales.

But for Weight I found three entries:

7D0-07-01 where ??xx xxxx xx was called Vehicle Weight (must be coded as only 2 Hex digits), mine had 21

7D0-10-05 has entries for both MaxHitchTrailer Weight and MaxBedTrailer Weight, both 3 digits

xxHH HxTT Tx

Where H is for Hitch and T is for trailer. Mine had 4F6 in both locations. Thinking that was an actual specific for my truck number in lbs that would work out to 1270lbs, which is close to my 1296, but not exact.

Anyway, whatever it signifies I tried changing each (and both) but it had no affect on my numbers or readings in Onboard Scales.

antho

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 801A Raptor
Are you active on FDRS thread, do you know if anyone over there has Onboard Scales?

I found in ForScan (that's all I have) there were a couple of registers (address) that had either Weight or Scale (I used global search on the spreadsheet).

For Scale there was some entries that looked like it just Enabled or Disabled Onboard Scales.

But for Weight I found three entries:

7D0-07-01 where ??xx xxxx xx was called Vehicle Weight (must be coded as only 2 Hex digits), mine had 21

7D0-10-05 has entries for both MaxHitchTrailer Weight and MaxBedTrailer Weight, both 3 digits

xxHH HxTT Tx

Where H is for Hitch and T is for trailer. Mine had 4F6 in both locations. Thinking that was an actual specific for my truck number in lbs that would work out to 1270lbs, which is close to my 1296, but not exact.

Anyway, whatever it signifies I tried changing each (and both) but it had no affect on my numbers or readings in Onboard Scales.

Most of the data is in the VDM as far as asbuilt data. I wouldnt really mess with it. It may just be a calibration if anything. The VDM is where the onboard scales calibration along with height calibration is.

gendibal

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered: 2022 F150 Platinum PB
Same thing here with my 22 PB. The payload mode of the onboard scales is pretty much worthless in my opinion. Mine was between 1/3 and 1/2 on day one with nothing added to the truck. If I load the truck up to what the scale says is max payload the bar turns red and doesn’t give any info. It doesn’t tell you how much you are over which is an important piece of info.

The scale mode is kind of nice and seems to be fairly accurate.

I was initially hesitant to put my sumo springs onto this truck because I know it will cause the onboard scales to be incorrect when heavily loaded but given the joke that the payload scale is I’m just going to do it. I’m unsure how the sumos and the CCD will work together and won’t find out until July when I haul a RV.
waiting on my order and very interested to hear about the sumo springs, since I’m sure helper spring setups like Roadmaster won’t work.

MRAM

First Name
Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 XLT POWERBOOST HYBRID
I have '22 KR PB 4x4 6.5', fully loaded. My payload sticker is 1296lb.

Firing up the Sync "Onboard Scales" app (with the vertical green and red bar), it does show 1296 at the top of the bar. But, it shows sitting at about 400lb empty (I'm standing outside looking in the window), without even a full tank.

When I get in it goes up by my weight (about 225) showing around 600 to 650lbs (there are no numbers, just 0, 25%, 50% 75% and then 1296 at the top).

I believe it should show 0 when empty (as built) and then go up to the top as I put in weight hitting the max at 1296. With only 1296lb payload, I can't afford to "lose" any, much less 400lbs (as shown by the scale, I realize I can actually put 1296lb and I have verified the weighs at a CAT scale). My concern is the (non) usefulness of the Onboard Scale function I paid for.

What does yours show when empty? (assuming you haven't put anything else on it after build. Or if you have does it still look right including the additional weight?)

Thanks in advance
@BLoflin Not sure if you got this figured out, but I had the same issue and I took it to my dealership. I took a bit of time to help them understand what the issue was, but they where able to fix the issue by performing a ride height sense calibration. That took care of it. Just make sure when you take it in that you leave it empty as you bought it with a full tank of gas!!
Sponsored