Sponsored

Onboard Scales, does yours read 0 when truck is as built off the line (no driver, no additional weight)?

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
I have '22 KR PB 4x4 6.5', fully loaded. My payload sticker is 1296lb.

Firing up the Sync "Onboard Scales" app (with the vertical green and red bar), it does show 1296 at the top of the bar. But, it shows sitting at about 400lb empty (I'm standing outside looking in the window), without even a full tank.

When I get in it goes up by my weight (about 225) showing around 600 to 650lbs (there are no numbers, just 0, 25%, 50% 75% and then 1296 at the top).

I believe it should show 0 when empty (as built) and then go up to the top as I put in weight hitting the max at 1296. With only 1296lb payload, I can't afford to "lose" any, much less 400lbs (as shown by the scale, I realize I can actually put 1296lb and I have verified the weighs at a CAT scale). My concern is the (non) usefulness of the Onboard Scale function I paid for.

What does yours show when empty? (assuming you haven't put anything else on it after build. Or if you have does it still look right including the additional weight?)

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
I’ll check mine. But I also feel that mine does not show zero. Now I was in it when I recognized this, but I feel like the scale was showing way more than what I weigh.

OP
OP

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Still hoping someone with Onboard scales will post with what the scale shows when either empty (as built) or with just you sitting in it.

Does it show close to 0 (if empty and as built) or does it show close to the weight of what you have in it (i.e. you)?

Mine is showing around 400lbs without even me in it.

Xtreme_M

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Honda Accord, 2008 Toyota Highlander
Still hoping someone with Onboard scales will post with what the scale shows when either empty (as built) or with just you sitting in it.

Does it show close to 0 (if empty and as built) or does it show close to the weight of what you have in it (i.e. you)?

Mine is showing around 400lbs without even me in it.
Mine is showing about a little more than Halfway between 0 and my payload max of 1270 lbs.
For some reason when I try to reset estimated weight it adds 950 and I’m out of the truck.

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Platinum
My fully loaded Platinum is just under the middle bar. The top number is 1356.

When the truck was really new, I had a bunch of stuff and the truck weighed on the state scales for registration at 7,200 lbs. (In my country registration is less for a heavy truck.) The bar was just under the red area.

As far as the usefulness of the onboard scales I'm not sold. On the other hand the CCD seems pretty nice and you can't have the scales without the CCD. Old school, just looking at the amount of suspension between the wheel and the wheel well seems to work better...

Sponsored

Xtreme_M

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Honda Accord, 2008 Toyota Highlander
My fully loaded Platinum is just under the middle bar. The top number is 1356.

When the truck was really new, I had a bunch of stuff and the truck weighed on the state scales for registration at 7,200 lbs. (In my country registration is less for a heavy truck.) The bar was just under the red area.

As far as the usefulness of the onboard scales I'm not sold. On the other hand the CCD seems pretty nice and you can't have the scales without the CCD. Old school, just looking at the amount of suspension between the wheel and the wheel well seems to work better...
I have a ‘22 Platinum 4x4 with 6 ½’ bed, max tow. Weighs 5,300 lbs.

My top bar shows my payload number of 1,270 lbs. The meter shows a little above the halfway mark with me out of the truck. The only thing added to the truck was a RollNLock bed cover that adds 150 lbs.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
So there's no tare function?
I don't know why I thought you could treat it like a real scale and tare it to zero in any state, then be able to see how much weight you are adding.

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Additional ideas to get better concrete data.

Drive to a truck stop that has a CAT scale and measure total weight of your F150 and compare it to the GVWR on the sticker to see if that matches.

As for TARE function, maybe its a FORscan programmable item.

Also, a gallon of gas weighs 6lbs.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Your Payload Capacity should exclude a full tank of fuel according to Ford documentation. So that weight shouldn't count against your door jamb cargo capacity sticker.

Yet another reason I thought a tare function would make perfect sense. Your scale would be most valuable if it's measuring the meaningful cargo weight.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Youtube to the rescue.

Scale mode has the tare option. (they call it zeroing) Then you can measure the actual cargo weight inside the cab and the bed combined.

Ford F-150 Onboard Scales, does yours read 0 when truck is as built off the line (no driver, no additional weight)? Screenshot_20220226-223059_YouTube

Sponsored

OP
OP

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Thanks for the replies.

There are 2 function with the Onboard scales.

One called Scale Mode is the horizontal one showed in the post above, and it can be zeroed. And so far in my testing it, it seems to work.

The other (the default every time you go into Onboard Scales) is the Vehicle Mode. This is the vertical scale that is Green with a Red Line/Area at the top, and it has your Payload number (same as on the door sticker) at the top of the bar graph.

It is the Vehicle Mode I am asking about. It is the function that is supposed to show you how your loading the truck, as you add passengers, cargo, trailer hitch, tongue weight. It is also the one with the indicator lights function in the tail lights.

There is no way to "zero" it.

Since Ford calculates and prints (on the door sticker and in the Vehicle Scales graph) your payload, this function should be measuring how much you've added to the truck and how close you are to hitting your max Payload, which also means you are hitting your GVWR.

Also this function allows you to estimate how much additional weight not yet in the truck will be loaded. This is where you would include your passenger/s etc. So you can then get an estimate of were you are with your trailer as you connect it (or throwing firewood in your bed) BEFORE all your passengers get in.

Anyway, this function is not working correctly, as it is not starting at your As Built Weight for 0 on the scale.

Mine is showing 400lbs over, about 1/3 "full". One of the responses above says his is at 50% without him even in it.

Something is not right here. This pretty much makes the whole Vehicle Scale (and Taillight Indicators) WORTHLESS.

Anyone else?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the clarification.
My 2022 isn't built yet, so I was at a disadvantage and you just brought it together for me

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I will chime in that I am experiencing and have the exact same concerns as @BLoflin. We exchanged a few chats on this topic before this thread was created. The Vehicle Mode (vertical view) and taillights are completely useless as it shows at least 25% (or more) used with nothing in the truck. There is no way to tare it back to as-built. The Scale Mode (horizontal view) works good. It can be tared. Unfortunately, Vehicle Mode is the one that lets you know how close you're to payload capacity. I wish we could have a human from Ford chime in on this. There is no way anyone at a dealership has any idea and we all know the bot that spams this forum won't be of any help.

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
Same thing here with my 22 PB. The payload mode of the onboard scales is pretty much worthless in my opinion. Mine was between 1/3 and 1/2 on day one with nothing added to the truck. If I load the truck up to what the scale says is max payload the bar turns red and doesn’t give any info. It doesn’t tell you how much you are over which is an important piece of info.

The scale mode is kind of nice and seems to be fairly accurate.

I was initially hesitant to put my sumo springs onto this truck because I know it will cause the onboard scales to be incorrect when heavily loaded but given the joke that the payload scale is I’m just going to do it. I’m unsure how the sumos and the CCD will work together and won’t find out until July when I haul a RV.

OP
OP

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Additional ideas to get better concrete data.

Drive to a truck stop that has a CAT scale and measure total weight of your F150 and compare it to the GVWR on the sticker to see if that matches.

As for TARE function, maybe its a FORscan programmable item.

Also, a gallon of gas weighs 6lbs.
Agree. I did just that (weighed at CAT Scale). That is how I check my actual weight, and Ford's calculation of my allowable Payload. All of that checks out.

That is my published GVWR is 7350. My curb weight As Built (meaning all manufactured options plus full tank of gas, and no other weight, including no driver) on the CAT scale was 6080. That leaves (7350-6080) = 1270lb which is close enough to Ford's 1296 printed on my door sticker.

So sitting there at 6080 the Vehicle Weight graph should show 0 (or close to it) and then go up as I add weight up to the 1296. Instead of showing 0 it shows what appears to be around 400 lbs. Then when myself, my passenger and 250lbs of gear which should then show at half way (50%, about 650lbs) up the scale instead shows over 3/4 up the scale, with only about 300lbs left. This infers my actual payload rating is NOT 1296, but more like 900lbs.

Not acceptable. For two reasons. Ford really should have a Heavy Duty Payload option for upper level PB trims, and the scale function I paid $650 should help me try to stay inside my specs.
Sponsored