Occupation
Admin
The Pro Power Onboard Generator availability:

Optional (2.0 kW) on 2.5L EcoBoost
Optional (2.0 kW) on 3.5L EcoBoost
Optional (2.0 kW) on 5.0L V8
Standard (2.4 kW) on PowerBoost Hybrid
Optional (7.2 kW) on PowerBoost Hybrid

Ford F-150 Onboard Generator (Pro Power Onboard) - Specs & 5 Fun Facts Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 5.07.13 PM
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Administrator

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Admin
5 Fun Facts

Ford unveiled the redesigned 2021 F-150 full-size pickup truck today, and while the super-mild sheet metal revisions and mostly carryover powertrains aren’t much to get excited about, two new additions to the lineup are definitely worth a second look. First, there’s a first-ever F-150 hybrid, featuring a 1.5-kilowatt-hour, liquid-cooled lithium-ion battery and a 35-kilowatt electric motor sandwiched into the 10-speed automatic transmission. And while we expect this will be pretty nifty for fuel economy and towing purposes, the hybrid system enables Ford to offer something truly unique: the new Pro Power Onboard electrical generator system.

Essentially, the Pro Power Onboard system turns your truck’s engine into a generator that provides power to an inverter, which then transforms it into energy you can use to power any number of appliances from laptops to TIG welders, loudspeakers to electric griddles, camper trailers to — and in an emergency — potentially your entire home. The system sends power to plugs in the truck’s cabin and in a new dedicated panel in the truck’s bed. Here are five things you need to know about Ford’s novel new Pro Power Onboard generator.

1. There Are Three Configurations
Three different levels of Pro Power Onboard are being offered: a 2.0-kWt system available on any gas-engine F-150 except the standard 3.3-liter V-6, a 2.4-kW system that’s standard on the new F-150 hybrid and an optional 7.2-kW system only available on the hybrid.

Ford F-150 Onboard Generator (Pro Power Onboard) - Specs & 5 Fun Facts 6a017ee6664cf9970d0263e952c6c6200b-800wi

The 2.0-kW system can be added to any F-150 equipped with the 2.7-liter V-6, 3.5-liter V-6 or 5.0-liter V-8 engine. When activated, the system runs the engine to provide power to the inverter and two 120-volt, 20-amp three-prong outlets in the bed of the truck. It operates while the vehicle is parked or while it’s in motion, enabling you to keep items plugged into the outlets in the bed that might need recharging as you’re driving to a worksite or campsite. It provides up to 2,000 watts of power for whatever you want to plug in. This is a considerable upgrade from what most 120-volt outlets presented in trucks currently offer that usually limit to 400 watts, which is enough to power portable speakers or maybe a small television at a tailgate party. But now with 2,000 watts to play with, you can theoretically power some speakers, a TV, an electric heater, a mini-fridge and a blender all at the same time.

The F-150 hybrid comes standard with a more powerful version of this system, putting out 2,400 watts of electricity. But unlike the regular F-150, it first uses energy stored in the 1.5-kwh onboard battery to power whatever it is you’re using before activating the 3.5-liter twin-turbocharged PowerBoost V-6 engine when that battery starts to run low. Like any standard generator, the engine boosts its rpm when a significant draw is detected — fire up a 1,000-watt air compressor and you might not notice a difference. Fire that up plus a circular saw, and the engine will start to rev a little faster to keep up with the power demand.

But the ultimate system is the optional 7.2-kW version that’s offered as an option on the hybrid. Like the 2.4-kW version, it draws first from the battery before firing up the engine. But unlike the lesser versions, it offers four 120-volt, 20-amp plugs and one twist-lock NEMA L6-20 240-volt, 30-amp outlet and can provide up to 7,200 watts of electricity. That’s enough to power most people’s home fridge, freezer, computers, TVs, etc. Most RVs only bother with a generator in the 3,000-4,000-watt range. Ford says this kind of portable power built into a truck can deliver electricity to remote construction locations, enough to power all the tools necessary for a team of builders to actually frame a house.

2. It Makes the New F-150 the Ultimate Camping Truck
That kind of power delivery could make the F-150 the new ultimate camping truck.

“You can plug in a crock pot when you leave home, and by the time you get to your campsite, you’re ready to eat!” said Nigar Sultana, lead feature owner for the Ford F-150 Pro Power Ssystem.

“And you can run a hair dryer now too,” she continued. “Or in the morning, plug in your coffeemaker and start your day.”

While the lesser 2.0-kW and 2.4-kW systems could indeed make tent camping a lot more comfortable (provided you don’t mind having the truck idling next to you), it’s the 7.2-kW system that really has the potential to be the ultimate camper trailer rig. That 240-volt, 30-amp output is more than enough to run all the systems on a huge camper trailer. The trailer’s air conditioner, fridge and freezer, lights, and just about everything else can be run even while the truck is pulling it, not just when it’s stopped and parked. Don’t need to keep the camper powered? It can also recharge your electric all-terrain vehicles or dirt bikes while you’re driving. And Ford says there’s no impact to the hybrid performance while you’re running and the Pro Power Onboard system is activated.

3. You Can Run It All Night
Say you want to park somewhere remote and use the truck to power that camper. The hybrid 2.4-kW system will run for 85 hours on a full tank of gas at maximum load of 2,400 watts. The 7.2-kW system will go for 32 hours under the same max load conditions. If you’re not using all of those 7,200 watts, the system will continue for much longer, the company said. Normally, any Ford truck left idling and undisturbed will turn itself off after 30 minutes, according to Ford, via the built-in automatic idle shutdown function. But the generator mode disables this function, allowing it to go much longer, provided there’s at least a 400-watt draw on the system. So as long as the system detects that it’s powering something, the truck will continue to run.

4. You Can Control It With Your Phone
The FordPass app for smartphones allows you to both monitor and even control the Pro Power system. You can see what the load is on each circuit, if the system is activated and more, from anywhere that you have connection. If you want to control it, however, you have to be within the truck’s onboard Wi-Fi range of about 30 feet. From that range, you can turn things on and off, and adjust as necessary. Wake up sweaty in the middle of the night and feel the need to activate your camper’s air conditioning unit? With the FordPass app and the truck connected, you won’t even have to get out of bed to power everything up and get the cool air flowing.

5. Safety Is Built-In
Of course, all kinds of questions pop up when you’re thinking about leaving your truck running all night next to your camper, even if you are well out in the woods. Is it safe? Can someone just open the door and make off with the truck (with me in the trailer)? What happens if there’s a short or a fault? Ford’s secure idle and utility idle functions come into play here, meaning the truck can be left to idle and be locked. So no worries about plugging it into the camper and going to bed — the truck isn’t going anywhere. If the system detects a ground fault, it immediately shuts off, giving the user the option to reset the system via the interior console touchscreen or the FordPass app. If it detects a critical fault somewhere in the system, it will disable itself and require a trip to a dealer for diagnosis, also notifying the owner via warnings on the screen and phone app.

We don’t yet know how much the new system will cost, either as a stand-alone option for the 2.0-kW system on the gas trucks or the 7.2-kW upgrade for the hybrid. We don’t even know how much the F-150 hybrid itself will cost; details like this will be known when we get closer to the truck’s on-sale date later this fall. But we can tell you this much, we can’t wait to try the system for ourselves.

Ford F-150 Onboard Generator (Pro Power Onboard) - Specs & 5 Fun Facts 2021 Ford F-150 Onboard Generator Pro Power Onboard

Striker Hawk

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
That depends on what you're trying to run, specifically, the AC unit is going to be the biggest single current draw in most houses.

I run a 10 kW (12 kW Surge) Generac to power my house when the power goes out. I have a 5 ton AC unit. When it kicks on, my Receiver kicks off (receiver provides sound for living room tv is the only reason to have it on) no matter what else I have running in the house. Nothing else in the house seems to have a problem with it.

Also, the 7.2 kW system's L6-20 240-volt, 30-amp outlet should to be able to provide all of that power into your house's breaker box, feeding both legs of the system via a dual pole breaker. I'm not an electrician so I can't speak to the specifics of just how far that might get you.

7.2 kW coming from the truck is impressive (in my opinion).

FrankFrankFrank

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 F-150. 2017 Escape
That depends on what you're trying to run, specifically, the AC unit is going to be the biggest single current draw in most houses.

I run a 10 kW (12 kW Surge) Generac to power my house when the power goes out. I have a 5 ton AC unit. When it kicks on, my Receiver kicks off (receiver provides sound for living room tv is the only reason to have it on) no matter what else I have running in the house. Nothing else in the house seems to have a problem with it.

Also, the 7.2 kW system's L6-20 240-volt, 30-amp outlet should to be able to provide all of that power into your house's breaker box, feeding both legs of the system via a dual pole breaker. I'm not an electrician so I can't speak to the specifics of just how far that might get you.

Thanks for that info. I’m just looking at necessities. Fridge, lights, router all year long. Heater in cold months. Sump pump in the warm months. That might work

Sponsored

Striker Hawk

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for that info. I’m just looking at necessities. Fridge, lights, router all year long. Heater in cold months. Sump pump in the warm months. That might work
I would imagine that you'd have plenty of power for that. Just note how long they said the truck could actually run on a full tank of gas pulling that full load however. You'll be burning through a lot of gas, though in all honesty, all generators burn through a lot of gas if you run them continuously. Run it for an hour, get everything charged up and cold (or warm), then shut it off for three or four hours. Most Fridges are reasonably good at keeping food cold for several hours without power. Sounds like you're planning to spend some serious time off-grid?

FrankFrankFrank

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 F-150. 2017 Escape
No, just bad local electrical service. And I’m right on a river so ground water levels are very high after rains.

MarkR

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost hybrid on order
Occupation
Retired
Any new thoughts or observations on using the 2021 F-150 Powerboost generator system for camping and with a travel trailer? What sort of adapter would be needed to connect the 7.2 kW system's L6-20 240-volt, 30-amp outlet to the shore power input on a travel trailer? This looks like a 240v system that would need to be stepped down to 110v for a travel trailer. Any thoughts on adding an Anderson plug on the truck to be able to supply power to the trailer while driving and would that negate the Ford warranty?

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Any new thoughts or observations on using the 2021 F-150 Powerboost generator system for camping and with a travel trailer? What sort of adapter would be needed to connect the 7.2 kW system's L6-20 240-volt, 30-amp outlet to the shore power input on a travel trailer? This looks like a 240v system that would need to be stepped down to 110v for a travel trailer. Any thoughts on adding an Anderson plug on the truck to be able to supply power to the trailer while driving and would that negate the Ford warranty?
I looked into this too and it is very common for generators to have the 240V 4 prong locking socket so there are plenty of adapters that convert to 3 prong 30A female for travel trailers. You can get a small adapter, or my preference for better strain relief, a dog bone adapter. Plenty will show up online but finding in stores might be tough. Basically, it takes the ground, neutral, and one of the hots from the 4 prong and makes the 3 prong socket.

https://www.amazon.com/Locking-4-Pr...40v+generator+to+30a+rv&qid=1605333293&sr=8-6

I don't understand the anderson plug question but am curious what you had in mind? The trailer plugs like the 7 way should already be supplying 12V (or 13+ with engine running) to your trailer battery so I'm very confused.

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
Side note topic / question...

Are there any concerns of running the engine at idle (or slightly above) continuously for extended hours to power the onboard generator?

My understanding is that this is not the best thing to do with your regular car/truck engine. I wonder if doing so will tend to lessen the service life of the engine or exhaust system.

How will it impact service intervals that are normally based on miles driven, e.g., oil changes? I imagine there will be an hour meter associated with the onboard generator to help set service service intervals (miles driven + generator hours to set certain service milestones?)

And obviously there will need to be prominent warning labels so folks don't use the truck to power their house during an electrical outage with the truck parked in the garage with door shut. You may need a really long power cord to connect the truck to the home's breaker box interface panel. On my previous home this interface panel was on the outside of the home next to the driveway, so easy access and keeps the generator outside. My new home has the interface panel in the garage, but next to a side door that leads to a side yard where my portable generator runs when needed. I'd need a 30' cord to reach a truck parked in the driveway. Some portable generators now have a CO2 sensors / alarms built-in to help protect consumers who don't know/understand running generators need to be outside.

Sponsored

MarkR

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I looked into this too and it is very common for generators to have the 240V 4 prong locking socket so there are plenty of adapters that convert to 3 prong 30A female for travel trailers. You can get a small adapter, or my preference for better strain relief, a dog bone adapter. Plenty will show up online but finding in stores might be tough. Basically, it takes the ground, neutral, and one of the hots from the 4 prong and makes the 3 prong socket.

https://www.amazon.com/Locking-4-Pr...40v+generator+to+30a+rv&qid=1605333293&sr=8-6

I don't understand the anderson plug question but am curious what you had in mind? The trailer plugs like the 7 way should already be supplying 12V (or 13+ with engine running) to your trailer battery so I'm very confused.
Thanks for your reply and the recommendation on the adaptor Terry! I am not an electrician or electrical engineer but am under the impression that charging the trailer batteries via solar or through the 7 way plugs (while driving) takes a long time, particularly if you are also using AC in the trailer when camping. The Anderson plug is an Australian 50a connector that recharges your trailer batteries much faster while driving. Some of the following article is over my head but will give you an idea of what some people have done:

https://www.adventurousway.com/blog/rv-electrical-upgrade-part-3-dc-charger-truck-12v-socket

MarkR

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Side note topic / question...

Are there any concerns of running the engine at idle (or slightly above) continuously for extended hours to power the onboard generator?

My understanding is that this is not the best thing to do with your regular car/truck engine. I wonder if doing so will tend to lessen the service life of the engine or exhaust system.

How will it impact service intervals that are normally based on miles driven, e.g., oil changes? I imagine there will be an hour meter associated with the onboard generator to help set service service intervals (miles driven + generator hours to set certain service milestones?)

And obviously there will need to be prominent warning labels so folks don't use the truck to power their house during an electrical outage with the truck parked in the garage with door shut. You may need a really long power cord to connect the truck to the home's breaker box interface panel. On my previous home this interface panel was on the outside of the home next to the driveway, so easy access and keeps the generator outside. My new home has the interface panel in the garage, but next to a side door that leads to a side yard where my portable generator runs when needed. I'd need a 30' cord to reach a truck parked in the driveway. Some portable generators now have a CO2 sensors / alarms built-in to help protect consumers who don't know/understand running generators need to be outside.
Thanks Bill for your reply! I hadn't thought about the effect of prolonged running of the generator on the service life so a good consideration. The CO risk was also something I was wondering about if you are running the generator for prolonged periods and the truck engine is on, right next to a trailer. At the house it would be cheaper to park the truck away from the house and run a longer cord but unfortunately with a trailer, many of the campgrounds don't allow much space between the truck and the trailer. There are exhaust pipe extenders available.....would something like this work?

https://exhaustaway.com/product/fla...U8HyUNRS2i2xOjuu7J5wGxE1IGrxUPAkaAsTXEALw_wcB

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
At the house it would be cheaper to park the truck away from the house and run a longer cord but unfortunately with a trailer, many of the campgrounds don't allow much space between the truck and the trailer. There are exhaust pipe extenders available.....would something like this work?

https://exhaustaway.com/product/fla...U8HyUNRS2i2xOjuu7J5wGxE1IGrxUPAkaAsTXEALw_wcB
I wouldn't think you'd necessarily need an exhaust extender, just need be be cognisant of where the exhaust is being directed versus where people will be (especially if sleeping), and wind direction too. And RV's / travel trailers should have their own CO2 detectors regardless.

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
5 Fun Facts

Ford unveiled the redesigned 2021 F-150 full-size pickup truck today, and while the super-mild sheet metal revisions and mostly carryover powertrains aren’t much to get excited about, two new additions to the lineup are definitely worth a second look. First, there’s a first-ever F-150 hybrid, featuring a 1.5-kilowatt-hour, liquid-cooled lithium-ion battery and a 35-kilowatt electric motor sandwiched into the 10-speed automatic transmission. And while we expect this will be pretty nifty for fuel economy and towing purposes, the hybrid system enables Ford to offer something truly unique: the new Pro Power Onboard electrical generator system.

Essentially, the Pro Power Onboard system turns your truck’s engine into a generator that provides power to an inverter, which then transforms it into energy you can use to power any number of appliances from laptops to TIG welders, loudspeakers to electric griddles, camper trailers to — and in an emergency — potentially your entire home. The system sends power to plugs in the truck’s cabin and in a new dedicated panel in the truck’s bed. Here are five things you need to know about Ford’s novel new Pro Power Onboard generator.

1. There Are Three Configurations
Three different levels of Pro Power Onboard are being offered: a 2.0-kWt system available on any gas-engine F-150 except the standard 3.3-liter V-6, a 2.4-kW system that’s standard on the new F-150 hybrid and an optional 7.2-kW system only available on the hybrid.

6a017ee6664cf9970d0263e952c6c6200b-800wi.jpg

The 2.0-kW system can be added to any F-150 equipped with the 2.7-liter V-6, 3.5-liter V-6 or 5.0-liter V-8 engine. When activated, the system runs the engine to provide power to the inverter and two 120-volt, 20-amp three-prong outlets in the bed of the truck. It operates while the vehicle is parked or while it’s in motion, enabling you to keep items plugged into the outlets in the bed that might need recharging as you’re driving to a worksite or campsite. It provides up to 2,000 watts of power for whatever you want to plug in. This is a considerable upgrade from what most 120-volt outlets presented in trucks currently offer that usually limit to 400 watts, which is enough to power portable speakers or maybe a small television at a tailgate party. But now with 2,000 watts to play with, you can theoretically power some speakers, a TV, an electric heater, a mini-fridge and a blender all at the same time.

The F-150 hybrid comes standard with a more powerful version of this system, putting out 2,400 watts of electricity. But unlike the regular F-150, it first uses energy stored in the 1.5-kwh onboard battery to power whatever it is you’re using before activating the 3.5-liter twin-turbocharged PowerBoost V-6 engine when that battery starts to run low. Like any standard generator, the engine boosts its rpm when a significant draw is detected — fire up a 1,000-watt air compressor and you might not notice a difference. Fire that up plus a circular saw, and the engine will start to rev a little faster to keep up with the power demand.

But the ultimate system is the optional 7.2-kW version that’s offered as an option on the hybrid. Like the 2.4-kW version, it draws first from the battery before firing up the engine. But unlike the lesser versions, it offers four 120-volt, 20-amp plugs and one twist-lock NEMA L6-20 240-volt, 30-amp outlet and can provide up to 7,200 watts of electricity. That’s enough to power most people’s home fridge, freezer, computers, TVs, etc. Most RVs only bother with a generator in the 3,000-4,000-watt range. Ford says this kind of portable power built into a truck can deliver electricity to remote construction locations, enough to power all the tools necessary for a team of builders to actually frame a house.

2. It Makes the New F-150 the Ultimate Camping Truck
That kind of power delivery could make the F-150 the new ultimate camping truck.

“You can plug in a crock pot when you leave home, and by the time you get to your campsite, you’re ready to eat!” said Nigar Sultana, lead feature owner for the Ford F-150 Pro Power Ssystem.

“And you can run a hair dryer now too,” she continued. “Or in the morning, plug in your coffeemaker and start your day.”

While the lesser 2.0-kW and 2.4-kW systems could indeed make tent camping a lot more comfortable (provided you don’t mind having the truck idling next to you), it’s the 7.2-kW system that really has the potential to be the ultimate camper trailer rig. That 240-volt, 30-amp output is more than enough to run all the systems on a huge camper trailer. The trailer’s air conditioner, fridge and freezer, lights, and just about everything else can be run even while the truck is pulling it, not just when it’s stopped and parked. Don’t need to keep the camper powered? It can also recharge your electric all-terrain vehicles or dirt bikes while you’re driving. And Ford says there’s no impact to the hybrid performance while you’re running and the Pro Power Onboard system is activated.

3. You Can Run It All Night
Say you want to park somewhere remote and use the truck to power that camper. The hybrid 2.4-kW system will run for 85 hours on a full tank of gas at maximum load of 2,400 watts. The 7.2-kW system will go for 32 hours under the same max load conditions. If you’re not using all of those 7,200 watts, the system will continue for much longer, the company said. Normally, any Ford truck left idling and undisturbed will turn itself off after 30 minutes, according to Ford, via the built-in automatic idle shutdown function. But the generator mode disables this function, allowing it to go much longer, provided there’s at least a 400-watt draw on the system. So as long as the system detects that it’s powering something, the truck will continue to run.

4. You Can Control It With Your Phone
The FordPass app for smartphones allows you to both monitor and even control the Pro Power system. You can see what the load is on each circuit, if the system is activated and more, from anywhere that you have connection. If you want to control it, however, you have to be within the truck’s onboard Wi-Fi range of about 30 feet. From that range, you can turn things on and off, and adjust as necessary. Wake up sweaty in the middle of the night and feel the need to activate your camper’s air conditioning unit? With the FordPass app and the truck connected, you won’t even have to get out of bed to power everything up and get the cool air flowing.

5. Safety Is Built-In
Of course, all kinds of questions pop up when you’re thinking about leaving your truck running all night next to your camper, even if you are well out in the woods. Is it safe? Can someone just open the door and make off with the truck (with me in the trailer)? What happens if there’s a short or a fault? Ford’s secure idle and utility idle functions come into play here, meaning the truck can be left to idle and be locked. So no worries about plugging it into the camper and going to bed — the truck isn’t going anywhere. If the system detects a ground fault, it immediately shuts off, giving the user the option to reset the system via the interior console touchscreen or the FordPass app. If it detects a critical fault somewhere in the system, it will disable itself and require a trip to a dealer for diagnosis, also notifying the owner via warnings on the screen and phone app.

We don’t yet know how much the new system will cost, either as a stand-alone option for the 2.0-kW system on the gas trucks or the 7.2-kW upgrade for the hybrid. We don’t even know how much the F-150 hybrid itself will cost; details like this will be known when we get closer to the truck’s on-sale date later this fall. But we can tell you this much, we can’t wait to try the system for ourselves.

2021 Ford F-150 Onboard Generator Pro Power Onboard.jpg
Just an FYI for those considering a F150 Limited with the 3.5 PowerBoost Hybrid. The 7.2 KW comes standard- but only if you order the Limited with the 3.5 PowerBoost Hybrid.

MarkR

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I wouldn't think you'd necessarily need an exhaust extender, just need be be cognisant of where the exhaust is being directed versus where people will be (especially if sleeping), and wind direction too. And RV's / travel trailers should have their own CO2 detectors regardless.
Good point Bill....thanks!
Sponsored