• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
I was late to the f150 Lightning game. I really didn't show much interest until I saw some early reviews/first look video last June and decided to reserve "just in case". I don't need a truck..for me its a "nice to have".

Then I rode in an f150 at one of the outreach events late last summer. From that moment I was hooked. Once you ride in one you'll understand. The whole time I'm at the event either watching the truck or riding in one I'm thinking "no way a truck this large should move this fast".

The instantaneous acceleration is amazing...mind boggling.
The first time I got in a Tesla and felt the torque in a Model 3, you absolutely could not wipe the smile off of my face during the test drive. It was supposed to be a test drive and no buying. I ended up ordering that day and later changed to a model Y. I told three of my friends, ā€œDonā€™t drive it unless you want to buy itā€. All of them went for test drives at Tesla. Two of them bought the Tesla and the third is waiting on her reservation for the Lightning. The third friend and I are retired police officers and we immediately thought, ā€œdamn, imagine being in one of these for all the pursuits we were inā€. It would have been an absolute blast!! Fast forward to this Lightning, I canā€™t wait to feel the size of an F-150 truck doing that amazing torque and handling. ?
Sponsored

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
I have to admit, the 0-60 in the Mach-E is exhilarating, but super scary, especially to a passenger. It literally pulls your entire body (and your lunch) back into your seat, so whenever a passenger who's never been in an EV asks me what all the fuss is about... I give them a taste and Dear Lord do they react. It's a combination of laughter and terror and they always ask me to slow down again.

From what I hear, the Lightning will be just as fast, if not faster than mine, so it'll likely shock a lot of people when they see something that big take off like a rocket.

Unfortunately for me, I live in New York City, where the local roads are limited to 25 miles per hour, and the maximum highway speed is still 50. Yes, 50. Frankly, that 50 mile per hour limit is a fiction. Most of the time the traffic barely moves 40.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I have to admit, the 0-60 in the Mach-E is exhilarating, but super scary, especially to a passenger. It literally pulls your entire body (and your lunch) back into your seat, so whenever a passenger who's never been in an EV asks me what all the fuss is about... I give them a taste and Dear Lord do they react. It's a combination of laughter and terror and they always ask me to slow down again.

From what I hear, the Lightning will be just as fast, if not faster than mine, so it'll likely shock a lot of people when they see something that big take off like a rocket.

Unfortunately for me, I live in New York City, where the local roads are limited to 25 miles per hour, and the maximum highway speed is still 50. Yes, 50. Frankly, that 50 mile per hour limit is a fiction. Most of the time the traffic barely moves 40.
If you feel that way in your select - you should try the GT sometime! After driving around in my wife's this winter, my GT350 feels tame and underwhelming.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
If you feel that way in your select - you should try the GT sometime! After driving around in my wife's this winter, my GT350 feels tame and underwhelming.
That's the crazy thing about EVs. My neighbor has a Bullitt and It roars like a beast yet EVs like the Mach-E GT go toe-to-toe without breaking a sweat. I used to miss the roar of the engine, but I'm starting to enjoy the quiet.

In fact, I feel like a fish out of water whenever I ride or drive an ICE vehicle. It's not just the sound, but the whole experience that seems odd to me... The vibrations, the sounds, the feel of slowing and speeding up as gears change...

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Drove in one during the outreach events. Didn't put a clock on it, but it is very fast. I expect it to be slower than my Mach-E AWD ER, which does 0 to 60 in 4.8 seconds. It will be plenty fast enough.

Sponsored

williams

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost F-150
Occupation
Ford Sales
Yeah the theatrics of a gas motor are missing, but the raw torque makes the test drive into buyers. I fell for with my Tesla Model Y. They had them on the lot as loaners for sale early last year so I was able to be a buyer on the spot.

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
I think one of the things that a lot of non-EV people will be surprised by is that linear acceleration. And not only when trying to drag race.

I live up a very steep hill, and our two diesel vehicles have quite a lot of torque. However, when climbing, you can feel the transmission hunting for the right gear as the elevation changes, and, for the smoothest ride you have to manually shift so the computer stops flipping back and forth between 1st and 2nd gear as the grade shifts, and you flip between 1000 - 2000 RPM on the climb.

It's not something I noticed at all until we got our first EV. The Kia Soul EV has terrible torque/acceleration compared to our other cars, but it only has one gear, and linear torque/acceleration.

Climbing up our hill is a completely smooth experience, so much so that transitioning back to a multi-speed diesel's is quite jarring.

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
Drove in one during the outreach events. Didn't put a clock on it, but it is very fast. I expect it to be slower than my Mach-E AWD ER, which does 0 to 60 in 4.8 seconds. It will be plenty fast enough.
Actually, if you get the ER version it is supposed to be slightly faster.

FordTough98198

First Name
Domenic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Expedition MAX KR, 2022 Lightning (reserved)
Occupation
Business Consultant
From this, I think it is pretty clear that the SR hits it's acceleration wall at around 50 mph. If true, the wall for the ER should be around 65 (based on HP ratio).
I wouldnā€™t be so sure. At 60 his leg clearly lifts up and he is no longer accelerating. He stopped itā€¦ not the truck. We shall see!

thegangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 F150, 2017 Model S
Itā€™s faster from 0-60 than my Model Sā€¦ cool

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Who knows, Iā€™m just ready to get back into an EVā€¦. 5 seconds is plenty

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Climbing up our hill is a completely smooth experience, so much so that transitioning back to a multi-speed diesel's is quite jarring.
I drove a Powerboost last November as a test to see if I could deal with the size of the F150 on a daily basis. The 10 speed transmission was always busy banging gears, and the start/stop of the engine while coming away from a light or coasting was pretty annoying. I don't mind some action in a sports car where I'm rowing my own gears, but electric is very welcome for a vehicle used for utility and basic transportation.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I don't mind some action in a sports car where I'm rowing my own gears, but electric is very welcome for a vehicle used for utility and basic transportation.
Exactly. As a transportation appliance, which is what most people use cars as, electric crushes gas. If you have home/work charging, it's not even close.

For driving enjoyment, electric are quite good with the instant torque and such, but there's something to be said for manual cars with great driving dynamics, still, IMO.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
Some EVs may be, but certainly not all. I think we need to differentiate EV and a connected car as well. Simple motors + battery vehicles reduce a lot of complexity compared to say an engine, trans, diff, etc. But something like a Tesla, adds all that complexity back in other forms. I've replaced cameras, main computers, screens, door motors, sensors galore.

Then there's the tires. Due to the added torque, added weight, and admittedly the WEEEEE factor, we go through tires at a much more frequent rate. On average I'm buying a new set of tires every 1-2 years. That's an additional $1000-$3000 (depending where you source your tires) of expense and easily eliminates and savings from eliminating oil changes.

This isn't meant to bad mouth it, but the savings here aren't as big as one might think.
I agree completely.

The key for me is more about safety and reliability. I've been stranded quite a few times due to ICE related breakdowns to the point where I've entirely given up on gas engines.

Most of the breakdowns where I needed a tow were things like dead batteries, failed fuel pumps, starters, and transmissions, not to mention countless overheating problems caused by water pumps, radiator leaks, hose connections and belts. I've been stuck on the highway because the vents in the fuel cap were clogged, creating a vacuum in the gas tank... putting strain on the fuel pump so it burned out. They replaced the fuel pump and filter, but the $5 fuel cap still was the real problem, so the new one failed. I once had an engine rod push through the bottom of my oil pan while I was on the highway.

Although clogged fuel injectors, oxygen sensors and dirty spark plugs never required me to get a tow, they make cars slowly lose power, lower fuel economy, and fail inspections.

If I always drove alone, I wouldn't be as paranoid about breakdowns, but I've had senior citizens and small children with me on some of the worst breakdowns and that bothers me.

The icing on the cake was when my 3 year old F-150 wouldn't start. The dealer kept reading codes, then swapping parts for over 4 months before I gave up entirely. They said they had some trucks in their shop for more than 6 months with similar mystery problems they couldn't solve. ICE engines are getting too complicated for their mechanics to understand so I resolved myself to never buy another ICE vehicle.

I sold them my (still broken) F-150, and took a Mach-e from inventory. It's a great little car, but I NEED a truck. I lost nearly a year without having a truck and I can't wait to finally have an EV that is also a real truck.

julian

First Name
julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 lightning lariat ext range
I own a 3.1 0-60 Model S. I am trading it in for the f150.
Whoever wrote don't take a test drive unless you want to buy it is in reality. I have taken 6-7 people out and let them drive and they are now all buying either a tesla, a rivian, or mach-e. I had BMWs and even some mustang 5.0s. Like the rest here, you can't even describe how much better electric is. I am not a fan boy (I am going ford over tesla in my trade in) but I can say driving the tesla has been god-like.
Sponsored