Sponsored

On turns, feels like brakes are locking/jerking??

longbow42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A8L, Ford F150 Platinum PowerBoost
Just picked up a Platinum PB Saturday. Love the truck, but on turns, there is a grinding/stuttering/shaking issue. Doesn't matter if road is dry or wet. It's like the truck is jerking as I turn. Not really sure how to explain it, but it surely doesn't feel right and my wife can also feel it. Doesn't matter if 2H or 4A. Will need to call dealer, but any ideas??
Thank you!
Sponsored

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PowerBoost FX4
Just picked up a Platinum PB Saturday. Love the truck, but on turns, there is a grinding/stuttering/shaking issue. Doesn't matter if road is dry or wet. It's like the truck is jerking as I turn. Not really sure how to explain it, but it surely doesn't feel right and my wife can also feel it. Doesn't matter if 2H or 4A. Will need to call dealer, but any ideas??
Thank you!
I’ve not experienced that. I do get an occasional clunky startup of the gas engine, but that’s about it. Almost sounds like the rear locker is engaged. You might try cycling it in and out of 4wd and actuating the rear locker a few times. If that’s not it then it could be the integrated wheel ends up front.

pigpen23

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
It doesn’t sound like it if you’re actually feeling it throughout the truck, but could you be feeling the lane keep assist vibrating the steering wheel?

When I first got my truck I experienced something similar and thought my truck was screw up. Found it to be the steering wheel vibrating.

grog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus RS
Thank you!
I have also had this with the steering wheel at full lock to the right. Also happens in 2H or 4A. Only happens at low speed pulling out of my driveway and so far I think it has only happened while the truck is in full electric mode. Incidentally this has only happened in snow because my driveway has been covered since I have owned the truck.

At first I thought the rear locker was engaged (wasn't) or that a front tire was rubbing something (doubt it) or that traction control was doing something (doubt it).

OP
OP

longbow42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have also had this with the steering wheel at full lock to the right. Also happens in 2H or 4A. Only happens at low speed pulling out of my driveway and so far I think it has only happened while the truck is in full electric mode. Incidentally this has only happened in snow because my driveway has been covered since I have owned the truck.

At first I thought the rear locker was engaged (wasn't) or that a front tire was rubbing something (doubt it) or that traction control was doing something (doubt it).
It almost does feel like a wheel is rubbing. It's always at low speed as I make a turn onto another road at a light or stop sign. It's not the lane assist as I feel it underneath and my wife can also feel it.

Sponsored

Derek83

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mustang GT, 2021 F150 SCREW Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Thank you!
Any chance that you are on dry roads with either the 4wd engaged or the rear electric locker engaged? I only say this because I had similar issues with one of my old trucks and it was the locker engaged.

OP
OP

longbow42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Any chance that you are on dry roads with either the 4wd engaged or the rear electric locker engaged? I only say this because I had similar issues with one of my old trucks and it was the locker engaged.
It was doing it in both 4W and 2W, will check the rear wheel lock. thanks!

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Being a future first time truck owner myself, I’m not certain exactly what is going on. However, from what I have read what you’re describing sounds like the differential is locked somehow causing the stuttering/shaking.

Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
It was the rear locker, button was engaged. Thanks everyone!
There should be a little indicator on the instrument panel.
will look like an axle with a padlock on it
orange light.
mine is in the upper right, just below fuel

OP
OP

longbow42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There should be a little indicator on the instrument panel.
will look like an axle with a padlock on it
orange light.
mine is in the upper right, just below fuel
Yep, mine is in lower left. Thank you.

Icecoldak

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F-150 Limited
It was the rear locker, button was engaged. Thanks everyone!
I thought the rear locker would disengage after 20-25 MPH anyway, How was yours staying locked----or does it reengage when you get below 20-25 if the rear locker button still pressed ?

OP
OP

longbow42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I thought the rear locker would disengage after 20-25 MPH anyway, How was yours staying locked----or does it reengage when you get below 20-25?
Must re-engage as I only noticed when slowing down on sharp turns.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Off at about 25 when speeding up
On around 25 when slowing down
Sponsored