Sponsored

Ok to connect truck to a 12V power supply for OTA installs?

Mszczewski

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Nice! In PA we don't have to run a front plate or else I would copy your setup.
I just couldn’t bring myself to drill a 2-inch hole in my bumper yet for the Noco plug adapter. So you could always go that route.
Sponsored

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
I just couldn’t bring myself to drill a 2-inch hole in my bumper yet for the Noco plug adapter. So you could always go that route.
I'm with you. There's no way I am drilling anything. For now the plug is going to live behind the front passenger side wheel well liner. I am looking into trying to somehow MacGyver the NOCO outlet into the fender badge. Going to buy a cheap used one on Ebay and do a little R&D on it. Ideally I would like to have the rectangular piece that says F-150 and identifies the truck's trim have a hinge along the top so I could just flip it up which would expose the outlet.

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Tremor 402a
Occupation
Support Engineer
Thanks, he does good videos for sure. I've seen most of them, but not that one yet. He does a good job of explaining Ford's BMS basics and how the battery "sensor" he calls it (aka a "shunt") is involved with the vehicle calculating the SOC. Even though my commute is only 12-14 minutes each way, my truck hasn't ever displayed a low battery notification. I think my situation is a little different; I want to keep my battery topped of just in case an OTA comes through, especially during the winter months. Maybe what I'm asking is whether it's better to use the 12V (AGM) CHARGING mode or the 12V POWER SUPPLY mode for this purpose. Either way, sounds like I should connect at or downstream of the shunt, just so the vehicle's BMS correctly tracks the amperage input...

This was incredibly informative. This video should be a sticky somehow, everyone needs to see this.
Sponsored