First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I like to put these on my filter on a bran new engines. Filtermag makes the best and have had one in the past on my motorcycle but they have just gotten to expensive for what they are. I have cut the filter up when changing to see what it was holding and it's impressive.

Ford F-150 Oil Filter Magnet 1611774166762

I ordered the magnets from Amazon for $13 and had some JB weld to make the individual magnets keep their shape the same as the oil filter.

Worked perfect and these together are very strong. So strong you have to slid it up to get it off the filter, too strong to pull it off straight out.

This is to trap all furious metals in your oil filter and keep it out of the engine oil. Breaking in a new motor can cause very very tiny pieces of metal to get in the engine oil. There is some good research out there. It's most likely over kill but hey, that's me. Lol Not like it cost a lot.

Just throwing it out there for anyone interested.

This is what I ordered from Amazon. Powerful Neodymium Bar Magnets, Rare-Earth Metal Neodymium Magnet, N45,

Ford F-150 Oil Filter Magnet 1611773176799

This what I was copping, the Filtermag

Ford F-150 Oil Filter Magnet 1611773246794

This is what I made.

Ford F-150 Oil Filter Magnet 1611773331741

Ford F-150 Oil Filter Magnet 1611773385759
Sponsored

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
I like to put these on my filter on a bran new engines. Filtermag makes the best and have had one in the past on my motorcycle but they have just gotten to expensive for what they are. I have cut the filter up when changing to see what it was holding and it's impressive.

1611774166762.png
I've been using these for a while too, but haven't bought one since 2012 so I guess I'll be in for sticker shock. Have you done your first oil change yet Bob? Like you I like to change out between 800 - 1200 miles on the first go around. I'm wondering if the plastic drain plug is the same on the 2021s as it was on the previous EcoBoost, as I've seen a replacement plug that has a valve (like the fumoto valves) but specifically for the weird plastic oil pan / drain plug configuration Ford went to and I'm wondering if they work with the 2021s too. Seems like Clean mess-free oil changes are harder to accomplish on these trucks than some of my other vehicles that hang their filters down vertically and don't aim the drain plugs at other structure. I don't know why planning for easy maintenance is so hard for these designers, other than they just don't seem to care.

Here's a link to the drain valve:

https://roninfactory.com/collections/ford/products/ford-f150-raptor-oil-drain-ronin-factory

Does anyone know if the PowerBoost has a yellow plastic drain plug from the factory?

Last edited:
OP
OP
currybob

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I've been using these for a while too, but haven't bought one since 2012 so I guess I'll be in for sticker shock. Have you done your first oil change yet Bob? Like you I like to change out between 800 - 1200 miles on the first go around. I'm wondering if the plastic drain plug is the same on the 2021s as it was on the previous EcoBoost, as I've seen a replacement plug that has a valve (like the fumoto valves) but specifically for the weird plastic oil pan / drain plug configuration Ford went to and I'm wondering if they work with the 2021s too. Seems like Clean mess-free oil changes are harder to accomplish on these trucks than some of my other vehicles that hang their filters down vertically and don't aim the drain plugs at other structure. I don't no why planning for easy maintenance is so hard for these designers, other than they just don't seem to care.

Here's a link to the rain valve:

https://roninfactory.com/collections/ford/products/ford-f150-raptor-oil-drain-ronin-factory

Does anyone know if the PowerBoost has a yellow plastic drain plug from the factory?
I less than 200 miles and want to get it as much broke in as possible. Probably around 1500 I will drop just the oil.

I picked up a filter already for the 2021 and it is a spin on canister, my 2018 wasn't. I asked the parts guy for he was looking at the parts list. He seems to think it is back to metal for the oil pan and the plug.

Those filtermag's are $60 now. I spent $13 and some JB weld.

TruckGuy2020

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Military

1611774166762.png

I ordered the magnets from Amazon for $13 and had some JB weld to make the individual magnets keep their shape the same as the oil filter.

Worked perfect and these together are very strong. So strong you have to slid it up to get it off the filter, too strong to pull it off straight out.

This is to trap all furious metals in your oil filter and keep it out of the engine oil. Breaking in a new motor can cause very very tiny pieces of metal to get in the engine oil. There is some good research out there. It's most likely over kill but hey, that's me. Lol Not like it cost a lot.

Just throwing it out there for anyone interested.

This is what I ordered from Amazon. Powerful Neodymium Bar Magnets, Rare-Earth Metal Neodymium Magnet, N45,

1611773176799.jpeg

This what I was copping, the Filtermag

1611773246794.jpeg

This is what I made.

1611773331741.jpeg

1611773385759.jpeg
Can you link some of the research? Everything I have tried to look up about the effectiveness of oil filter magnets seems to be inconclusive or the retailers themselves talking up their product. I’m all for it if it helps, but I can’t find any reputable source or actual research showing the effectiveness.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
Can you link some of the research? Everything I have tried to look up about the effectiveness of oil filter magnets seems to be inconclusive or the retailers themselves talking up their product. I’m all for it if it helps, but I can’t find any reputable source or actual research showing the effectiveness.
There's not going to be any research available to support their effectiveness, but many manufacturers put magnets on their drain plugs, some put magnets in the oil pan and the trans pan as well. The use of magnets to collect particles that slip past the filtration systems, or before they can get carried to the filter is just common sense. Putting magnets on the filter falls into that same realm. If I can keep more crap from circulating in my oil, $60 is a cheap price to pay. Cheap insurance. I don't think an experiment could be designed to provide credible research data on this topic because there are too many variables. Don't buy one if you think it's snake oil.

Sponsored

OP
OP
currybob

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Roger above is exactly right.

I have done my own, like I said, by cutting up the filter after use and saw enough to convince me.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/794/magnetic-filtration

Last edited:

Waxer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 4x4, Star White
Roger above is exactly right.

I have done my own, like I said, by cutting up the filter after use and saw enough to convince me.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/794/magnetic-filtration
Thanks for the information Bob (and Roger). A question from you coming from someone who is not knowledgeable on this issue - how does the oil flow through the oil filter, and would the metal particles that were captured by your magnet (picture is worth a thousand words after you opened up the filter) have been caught by the filter anyway, or do you think those metal particles are what is caught after the oil has passed through the filter?

OP
OP
currybob

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Thanks for the information Bob (and Roger). A question from you coming from someone who is not knowledgeable on this issue - how does the oil flow through the oil filter, and would the metal particles that were captured by your magnet (picture is worth a thousand words after you opened up the filter) have been caught by the filter anyway, or do you think those metal particles are what is caught after the oil has passed through the filter?
Oil flows into the smaller outer holes and out the large center hole, after passing through the filter media to trap particles. The magnets will only hold the ferrous material against the outer metal wall of the filter. So the oil flow goes by the magnetic before the filter media.

Would the media have trapped the ferrous material, yes, to the size the media can, the magnetic will attract all sizes where smaller sizes are actually easier.

Is it necessary, probably not. Can it help, the science/physics of it says yes. To what degree is undetermined. I also keep a magnetic by the drain plug, where the oil settles when the engine is off.

Magnetism's has been and is currently used in many different systems in industry for this exact same reasons. From aircraft engines to the food industry and all kinds in between.

Like I said, I like to do it on a new engine, for that is when the metals are being hone to fit and will be at the greatest engine ware of a healthy engines life.

Does having a magnetic on a filter cause any kind of harm, no.

Is it worth $60, well, I have done that on a motorcycle in the past but have figured out a much cheaper route with the same benefit. This is why I was sharing it.

Now, you can decided for yourself if $13 worth of material is a possible snake oil remedy or not.

Ford F-150 Oil Filter Magnet 1612229575673

Ford F-150 Oil Filter Magnet 1612229728388

Ford F-150 Oil Filter Magnet 1612230164307

Last edited:

Waxer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 4x4, Star White
Really helpful - thanks for the explanation, and completely agree that it makes sense and seems cost effective. Now, I just need my truck to show up but I have a project to do in the meantime.

Goose2

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 ford f150
I’ve owned vehicles well over 60 years and I have never used a magnet on my oil filters and I have never had a engine problem that would have been prevented by a magnet. At this point I’m calling it just something to waist money on.

Sponsored

OP
OP
currybob

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I’ve owned vehicles well over 60 years and I have never used a magnet on my oil filters and I have never had a engine problem that would have been prevented by a magnet. At this point I’m calling it just something to waist money on.
You could be right but I'm all about overkill with $70,000 truck. Plus my physics background gets me into stuff like this sometimes and being retired gives me the time.

Just a thought though, how many of your vehicles that you had over the past 60 years had a magnetic drain plug??

Goose2

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 ford f150
You have a point about the drain plug. Part of me not worrying about it that much is my truck only has to last a year. I get a new one every year and have since 1977. You know us farmers dont like rattles. ?

OP
OP
currybob

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
You have a point about the drain plug. Part of me not worrying about it that much is my truck only has to last a year. I get a new one every year and have since 1977. You know us farmers dont like rattles. ?
I hear ya, I was like that myself for most of my life but lately been trying to do better and keep my trucks for 3 years now, my wife's we still trade pretty much yearly.

I never keep a vehicle long enough to benefit from the things I do but just can't help myself. Of course many of my vehicles I have had, friends and family members buy from me because they know how I am. Lol :unsure:

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
You could be right but I'm all about overkill with $70,000 truck. Plus my physics background gets me into stuff like this sometimes and being retired gives me the time.

Just a thought though, how many of your vehicles that you had over the past 60 years had a magnetic drain plug??
Yep, I agree...
I'll take extra steps if I think there is a benefit to it..

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
Thanks Bob
Sponsored