Sponsored

Oil Filter Magnet

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
@currybob - Thanks for this great post. I just ordered some of those magnets and will make one myself. I keep my 4x4 trucks long term so doing anything when it is new that might have long term benefits is $ well spent. After 3 or 4 oil changes it might have diminishing returns but when it is brand new $20 or $30 bucks on top of the 65K I am laying out, is chump change.

I just have to get a replacement oil filter for the 3.5 Powerboost so I can form the curvature nice and I will be good to go. Thanks again!
Sponsored

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
If you're catching fine particles, why do you need the large band? Couldn't you just put 3 or 4 of those single bar neo's around the filter and call it done?

OR

You could read the article on magnetic filtering and wonder if a homemade mag particle filter is configured properly!
From article:

There are a variety of magnets and ways in which magnetic filters and separators can be configured in a product’s design. In fact, there is much more to their performance than simply the strength or gradient of the magnetic field.

For instance, the size and design of the flow chamber, total surface area of the magnetic loading zones, and the flow path and residence time of the oil are all important design factors. These factors influence the rate of separation, the size of particles being separated and the total capacity of particles retained by the separator.

The magnetic force acting on a particle is proportional to the volume of the particle, but is disproportional to the diameter of the particle (magnetic force varies with the cube of the particle’s diameter). For instance, a two-micron particle is eight times more attracted to a magnetic field than to a one-micron particle. This means large ferromagnetic particles are disproportionately easier to separate from a fluid compared to smaller particles.

The separating force is proportional to the magnetic field gradient and also to the particle magnetization (magnetic susceptibility). Particle magnetization relates to the degree to which the particle’s material composition is influenced by a magnetic field.

Last edited:
OP
OP
currybob

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
If you're catching fine particles, why do you need the large band? Couldn't you just put 3 or 4 of those single bar neo's around the filter and call it done?
You might could but this is just my thinking on the matter.

The oil flow and thickness is something I don't really know so I wanted very strong and near full coverage magnets on the filter. Also when looking at the ones sold by all the different manufactures at a real pretty penny, they do near full coverage.

Just my thought process...

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
You might could but this is just my thinking on the matter.

The oil flow and thickness is something I don't really know so I wanted very strong and near full coverage magnets on the filter. Also when looking at the ones sold by all the different manufactures at a real pretty penny, they do near full coverage.

Just my thought process...
From the article, it seems they need to be strategically placed based on flow. That much flow mechanics this early in the AM hurts my brain.

Sponsored

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Here is my Frankenstein Filter Mag. It actually came out great! $20 for magnets but I only used 8 of the 12, and $7 for the High Heat JB Epoxy. So in the end about $20-$22 worth of materials, not including the filter I used for the curvature.

The extra mags I may just use "free form" on the filter and see how that does.

Ford F-150 Oil Filter Magnet Home Mag Front.JPG

Ford F-150 Oil Filter Magnet Home Mag Back.JPG

OP
OP
currybob

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Here is my Frankenstein Filter Mag. It actually came out great! $20 for magnets but I only used 8 of the 12, and $7 for the High Heat JB Epoxy. So in the end about $20-$22 worth of materials, not including the filter I used for the curvature.

The extra mags I may just use "free form" on the filter and see how that does.

Home Mag Front.JPG

Home Mag Back.JPG
Good job! Looks like a scientific marvel. Lol

If you don't service your own vehicle, make sure you have them take that off and give to you.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
HA! Thank for giving me the idea currybob. That JB High Heat Epoxy is like a rock now that it has cured.

If the oil filter set up on the 3.5 PB was engineered a little more "owner friendly" I would probably do it myself. However, it does not look like it is the easiest. Couple this with father time marching on for me and I will probably have it done. I'll check it out when I get the truck.

I actually have a nice new Valvoline Change facility right down the road from me and I have been impressed with them. They have a full synthetic too, so I will probably just go there and pay them.

OP
OP
currybob

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
HA! Thank for giving me the idea currybob. That JB High Heat Epoxy is like a rock now that it has cured.

If the oil filter set up on the 3.5 PB was engineered a little more "owner friendly" I would probably do it myself. However, it does not look like it is the easiest. Couple this with father time marching on for me and I will probably have it done. I'll check it out when I get the truck.

I actually have a nice new Valvoline Change facility right down the road from me and I have been impressed with them. They have a full synthetic too, so I will probably just go there and pay them.
I hear ya, so far I still do my own unless I have a freebee but don't know how much longer that will be happening.

Good luck with your upcoming new baby!

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just to touch on this. I compared the Franken Magnet (FM) to just using the individual mags and there is no comparison. The collective force of the FM was rock solid while the individual mags just did not offer enough adhesion to give me any confidence that they would stay put. Even with multiple individual mags snapped side by side, it just did not adhere like the mags held together with the JB Weld epoxy.

Sponsored

OP
OP
currybob

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Just to touch on this. I compared the Franken Magnet (FM) to just using the individual mags and there is no comparison. The collective force of the FM was rock solid while the individual mags just did not offer enough adhesion to give me any confidence that they would stay put. Even with multiple individual mags snapped side by side, it just did not adhere like the mags held together with the JB Weld epoxy.
True that and you will find it is almost impossible to pull FM straight off, you have to slide it off because the magnet strength is so high.

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
I can't believe I've never seen anything like this...

This seems like it would be way more effective than the drain plug since oil will be actively passing through the filter vs passively passing the plug. Also allows you to do something like a fumoto.

Is there a reason you all aren't using 12 magnets? Are you using the 3mm or 5mm thick neodymium bars?

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I used the 5mm ones. Originally I used 8 mags because I wanted a few left over to see if just the plain mags would work. Also with more mags it starts to get a little long and I feared that extra length might weaken it a little. 8 seamed a little more compact and I thought that would give it some more strength.

After my initial Franken Magnet (FM) build I would do it a little differently next time. Here is what I learned so far but I have not tested this on a drivable F-150 as I am still waiting for mine. I also used non stick foil to wrap around the filter while I molded this.

The JB Weld High Heat epoxy is rock solid when it is cured. This thing is like a brick. I would probably go up to 10 mags next time but not more if I only planned to use 1 full epoxy pack. More than 10 and I feel it might be spreading the single tube of epoxy a little thin and thus lose some of that solidness. 2 ten mag FM's would give you almost full coverage anyway.

Single mags just do not give the stability of the FM and I could see them falling off. The collective force of the FM and the curvature of the solid entire piece, snaps down on the filter and you have to physically force it (slide it) up to remove it.

That Fumoto valve is something I want to use if I do decide to change the oil myself, that would remove any drain plug magnet option, if there even is that option for the F-150. After 4 or 5 oil changes this FM will probably have diminishing value but anything to catch fine metal fragments, in addition to what the filter catches, early in the engines life is money well spent if you plan on keeping the truck. For about $20 - $25 bucks a FM, that is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Let us know if you buy the premade filter magnet ($60) or if you make a Franken Magnet yourself!

OP
OP
currybob

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
This is a company I've purchased a lot of magnets from over the years. They manufacture everything and have some of the strongest mags I have ever seen. All types, sizes and coatings, have found uses for many in my little home shop.

Thought I would just share to anyone interested.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/

JohnMcClane
I have used several Fumoto valves over the years and really liked them. When Ford went to a plastic oil pan you could not use one. I think they are back to metal now, need to look into that for my next oil change. Thanks for reminding me...

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
For about $20 - $25 bucks a FM, that is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Let us know if you buy the premade filter magnet ($60) or if you make a Franken Magnet yourself!
In theory we are just trapping material that should end up in the filter membrane anyway. However, ringing in at $25 for a FM, I’ve seen worse ideas that cost way more. Ten seems like the magic number.

Ford F-150 Oil Filter Magnet 7C848FE6-4219-4EFD-941C-CB5D1BAACA73
Sponsored