Oil consumption 2021

Hacked

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
I have a 2021 f150 with 3300 mikes on it and it consumes almost a quart of oil every 500 miles. I’ve been through the oil consumption test with the dealer and now they want to tear the motor apart, report their findings to Ford and then have Ford tell them what to do. I can only imagine how long this will take. The dealer said they would have something for me to drive but it won’t be a truck. I’m so discussed with the way this is being handled. Has anyone been through this and what is my best course of action?
Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
If you are monitoring, I would get it serviced and oil changed at the dealer you use, and then, drive it til it quits.
A qt every 500 mi and it should do bad things around 2000 mi.
If a Coyote, perhaps 3000 mi.
That should require a motor replacement..
Ive checked my oil twice since Feb.,
It has not used any.
Had it changed at 2500, will change it again at 5000, and will probably check it 2 more times before 5000.
After that, I will not bother to check it at all between changes unless I spot an oil slick under the car.
I don’t bother with oil checking on my old truck between changes either— it is still full after 5000 mi.
Not sure that I even opened the hood on my former Ranger 8 times in the 15 yrs I had it.

normal oil consumption in 5000 miles in a normal non extreme usage should be less than one qt until the vehicle reaches 100k

Hell, even the never rebuilt 73 305 that I have in my 66 ElCamino uses no oil between 3-4000 mile changes.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
They should be able to do a leak down test to determine whether it’s the rings or valve guides, or something else. If it is just a head replacement I wouldn’t worry too much. If it’s a ring problem I’d ask for a new engine, given it’s new and you don’t want a completely rebuilt engine. You may want to see if the service manager can escalate this and get you a new engine if that’s the case.

Mikesoffroad

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1983 Jeep CJ7, 2007 Jeep JKU, coming Ford F150 KR
Occupation
Training Superintendent
I am going through the same thing. I have gone through 5 liters of oil in 4200km. Currently sitting at the Ford dealer waiting to hear back from Ford on what to do. The head mech informed me that Ford had a bunch of bad heads. This is not only a 5.0 problem it is also the 2.5 and 3.5 motors. I was told once they get into it it could be 2 months for parts. Just a little upsetting on a 90k (CAD) plus truck.

bakerd

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport FX4
Occupation
Appraiser/Assessor
Just posted this on another thread, but My 2021 has 5300 miles, actually taking it Saturday for an oil change, but I checked it before I left Friday on a trip I took and the oil was dead center of the line on the dipstick. So it looks like mine is good to go so far as oil consumption is concerned. My 09 Jeep Wrangler burned almost a quart every 5000 miles when new and a little over a quart toward the end before I traded it on my 21 F150. I was concerned but so far, this truck doesn't have the problem. Sounds like you do have something wrong going on. Good luck with finding it
Sponsored