Oil Brand Recommendations

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0 SuperCrew 4x4 BAP
I've been using Pennzoil Platinum for years without issue. It has very favorable reviews with both BITOG and Project Farm.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
I use Mobil 1 full synthetic, not for any good reason other than I picked a brand 20 years ago. My last 2 fords ran 200K+ miles with zero engine problems.

Maximum interval is 6K miles for me because I drive my stuff hard.

Long story short, I’m pretty convinced the shorter interval has a bigger impact than the brand. But why switch now!!

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Starting 2017 oil formulatoins changed to meet the requirements of the new engines that needed a low weight motor oil. So no difference in performance between the motor oils for use in gas engines. You are paying for marketing costs if you buy Amsoil for example.

But the recommended weight and whether it is synthetic or a synthetic blend as specified by the manufactuer for your year truck and engine. With my 2022 3.5L ecoboost engine it is recommended to use a SAE 5W-30 oil as I am not using the truck in -20F conditions. Otherwise a 0W-30 is recommended.

I buy whatever is available at the local quick lube place. I do not use their oil filters but bring my own that are OEM filters.

Sponsored

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
Rather than use the ultra low weight in the winter up here I’ve been just plugging in the block heater below -20. I feel like I’m back in the 80’s, but it works like a charm!

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I've used AmsOil for some 15 years, before that MobilOne. Only full synthetic oils will give the long life I want. My 92 Suburban went to 2021 on MobilOne, original engine and still getting 3-4,000 miles per qt. Why did I shift? MobilOne became too hard to get the weight oil I use.

Ronin1973

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 XL STX SuperCrew 4x4 5.0 Avalanche
Just curious......
Are you 540Ratblog convinced?

I fully admit that I use the QSFS for that reason. I previously used what this oil knocked off his #1 perch.

Since I don't leave oil in my motors long enough to be a concern, I only care about the anti-wear property. I'm stunned an oil that affordable tested so well.

Ain't easy to find in the 5 quart jug recently.
Hello. No, I have never heard of 540Ratblog. What is that? I go by a combination of affordability, VOA's, and UOA's. The oil looks great new and has a fantastic add pack with lots of Moly. The UOA's are great as well. Those two combos plus the fact that you can pick up a 5 gallon jug at Walmart for $19, is a super deal.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Hello. No, I have never heard of 540Ratblog. What is that? I go by a combination of affordability, VOA's, and UOA's. The oil looks great new and has a fantastic add pack with lots of Moly. The UOA's are great as well. Those two combos plus the fact that you can pick up a 5 gallon jug at Walmart for $19, is a super deal.
It's a great oil indeed.
It's anti-wear ability was the highest he has ever tested. Like mentioned previously, I used what WAS the highest anti-wear in his testing, although I wasn't aware of him at the time I first began to. Rather I was advised by my personal motor builder.
So for me when I came across his blog, it was confirmation, if you will. :)

But then came along the new QSFS, and wallah! A new king of the hill. And affordable too!

By the way, for those reading my rambling, there are a LOT of great motor oils. All those mentioned in this thread in fact. Peace. Lol
Sponsored

Last edited: