First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Well then I guess because the factory worker puts the filters on so damn tight then when I'm trying to take the oil filter off I'm likely to say Don't Make Me Angry. You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry.

Too Late!

Ford F-150 Oil Brand Recommendations Lou-Ferrigno-Hulk_1335443600
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tizzzo

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lead Foot Gray XLT 5.0 Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Veteran
the 4.6 5.0 and 5.4 are all the same engine just different bores and head and such but they in the modular family of engines that’s why they have similar noises and issues
Makes sense, I’ll mostly likely stick to pennzoil ultra platinum and Mobil 1 advanced then ?? I used amsoil before because I couldn’t find pennzoil in the 5w50 weight that the Shelby took but the 5w30 the coyote takes is readily available on Amazon or Walmart and cheap too and Costco has the Mobil 1 advanced!

OP
OP
Tizzzo

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Veteran
Tizzy i am right with you.
Also, I agree.. Project Farm videos are amazing.
Fyi. I do use the boss Purolator oil Filters since 2015 on my 3.5 eco motors.
Yes sir, I actually heavily enjoyed watching his “Oilympics” videos, very informative and entertaining! I’ll check those filters out since I’ve never heard of them.

Uncle_Booty

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 302A SCrew 5.0 157" 4x4
Occupation
Commercial Truck Leasing
Surprised to see nobody mention royal purple. I started running this in my last truck and saw immediate returns in mpg. (+1.5ish) It is expensive but it makes me feel good about myself.

And I had a mangled oil filter on my first change as well....to hell with that guy
Royal Purple would be in my top 3 for sure.

OP
OP
Tizzzo

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Veteran
Hey guys so I also found that Shell Rotella Gas Truck makes a really good 5w30 full synthetic oil, another option to look into. It performed better than Mobil 1 advanced on one of project farms videos.

Sponsored

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5 qt. jug is available for $9.37 after rebate here.

Severdog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Sport PB SuperCrew 6.5' 7.2Kw
Occupation
Trader
I have used Mobil One EP for the past twenty+ years with zero oil-related failures and zero oil consumption, however the Project Farm vids made me realize that I can actually get a better oil (Pennzoil Ultra) for less money. Mobil One has gotten to be pretty pricey per jug even at Walmart, I can get a 5Qt jug of Pennzoil via amazon for about $24. I've used Amsoil once before with great results in a motorcycle, but the cost and availability is pushing me to something else.

OP
OP
Tizzzo

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Veteran
I have used Mobil One EP for the past twenty+ years with zero oil-related failures and zero oil consumption, however the Project Farm vids made me realize that I can actually get a better oil (Pennzoil Ultra) for less money. Mobil One has gotten to be pretty pricey per jug even at Walmart, I can get a 5Qt jug of Pennzoil via amazon for about $24. I've used Amsoil once before with great results in a motorcycle, but the cost and availability is pushing me to something else.
I love project farms videos! I used Mobil 1 EP on my first oil change and after watching his videos I decided to give Shell Rotella gas truck a try on my 5.0 Liter and it seemed to have liked the Shell a bit better. Next oil change I will try Amsoil and if it’s not any noticeable difference I’ll probably stick with the Shell Rotella.

Byronick87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2021 XLT 302A Space Gray
I'm posting this in every thread I can find applicable as I believe this is beneficial real world information.

I come from the "leave the truck stock and follow what the manual says" school of thought

I just did an oil change on my new 21 3.5 EB at 4000 km.
holy chite, guys, what a difference I noticed immediately.
The local shop had Pennzoil Ultra Platinum on sale.
what I noticed immediately:
  1. slightly more response
  2. smoother ride overall
  3. quieter
  4. slight power increase
  5. no more or less lurching when throwing it into D from P (though not sure if that had anything to do with it? maybe coincidence?)

I'm 100% synthetic now.
no questions

OP
OP
Tizzzo

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Veteran
I'm posting this in every thread I can find applicable as I believe this is beneficial real world information.

I come from the "leave the truck stock and follow what the manual says" school of thought

I just did an oil change on my new 21 3.5 EB at 4000 km.
holy chite, guys, what a difference I noticed immediately.
The local shop had Pennzoil Ultra Platinum on sale.
what I noticed immediately:
  1. slightly more response
  2. smoother ride overall
  3. quieter
  4. slight power increase
  5. no more or less lurching when throwing it into D from P (though not sure if that had anything to do with it? maybe coincidence?)

I'm 100% synthetic now.
no questions
Thank you for that! If you read earlier in my thread some people aren’t believers that oil makes a difference but it definitely does. I was surprised too that you can actually FEEL a difference. Also that pennzoil ultra platinum is an amazing oil, you’ll be happy with the performance of it.

Sponsored

sbi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 5.0L Lariat FX4 Space White SCREW
Hard to believe that one could tell the difference between two oils of the same weight and specs by driving or listening to it.

My guess is that your engine was a little low on oil before the oil change. I still haven’t checked my oil since I got the truck and I have been meaning to for months. The Coyote engines have very well documented oil consumption issues and hopefully that’s fixed with the change in oil weight for 2021.

Oil standards are so well followed that nearly any brand should be sufficient. I usually use Mobil1 since it’s nearly always on sale cheaper than the store brands at one of the many retailers in my city but if I lived somewhere remote without many options, I would go with Mag1 since it is the best deal with free shipping and a coupon from Zoro.com for a well respected oil on those crazy lubriphile oil fetish forums that go into insane depth when discussing engine and gear oils. When I worked at a garage I used Shell because we had 20 gallon drums and it was ‘free’ for personal cars as long as you wrote down how much you used.

Of all my cars, motorcycles and trucks, motor oil has never been an issue. Even on my beaters where I used the leftover oil of any weight and grade from other oil jobs at the garage I worked at where we used quart and 5quart jugs. We would let the leftovers from the ‘empty’ jugs drain into another jug and it’s crazy how much oil must be wasted that way and it adds up quickly.

It’s easy to justify spending a few extra dollars for more expensive oil thinking that it will protect an expensive vehicle but the truth is that you're best off saving that money toward its replacement and getting the cheapest name brand stuff you can get. I also don’t believe in the extended service intervals that some manufacturers recommend, so that goes toward a cheaper oil too.

I plan on using Ford’s filters, since they’re well respected and it’s about the only thing I can think of using my Fordpass points on that I can’t get for a lot less anywhere else.

I just bought 2 qts of motorcraft oil at advanced auto parts in case I need to add some oil (so far, 5.0 coyote with 3500 miles and no need to add anything). Can't see what's wrong with the original motorcraft oil, and since the dealer will do my oil changes (past that age), they're going to use motorcraft anyways. I honestly cannot see how someone can "feel" the engine is more lubricated with one type of oil over another.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Hello everyone, I'm getting ready to do my first oil change on my 5.0L XLT 4x4. I'm at about 1,100 miles right now and just wanted to see what you guys recommended for oil brands? I have ran Amsoil before in the past on my GT500 and Ranger with great success but wanted to see what everyone else is running. Not trying to start an oil thread battle but I've never owned a vehicle with a coyote before and like to run the best since I do the oil changes myself and cost is cheap. I ran motorcraft full synthetic oil before in my shelby and could feel the difference when I switched to Amsoil, it was immediately quieter and felt way more lubricated so I'm wondering if that's also the case with the coyote motor or if any synthetic brand will suffice. Thanks for your input!
Brand does not matter. As long as you use the correct weight and change every 5k, you will never have an issue. if you do mostly stop and go, idle, etc., change it more often.

I would pick one and stick to it though. Dont be using different oils all the time.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I honestly cannot see how someone can "feel" the engine is more lubricated with one type of oil over another.
I'm not sure about my F-150, but in my Audi I had previously, I switched to a higher quality oil and I could hear that the engine was running smoother as there was less valve noise. I switched to a cheaper oil afterwards that was still decent quality, but not as good and the engine was a little noisier. I kept running the higher quality oil until I traded it in for my truck.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I've used Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Supertech (Walmart), and Kirkland (Costco) in many different vehicles with 5-7.5k mile OCI and have never seen a difference in performance, noise, or consumption. Now all those were synthetic 0w-20 or 5w-20 operating in the Southeast USA, so ymmv.

TNKIRK

First Name
TERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 FORD F150 LARIAT SUPERCAB
Occupation
R V SALES
Only AMSOIL..........................First in Synthetic
Sponsored