Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Inspector Gadget
Oil change procedure

Here's a link to the Blackstone page that describes in great detail how to properly change your own oil and obtain an oil sample in the process. It should initiate an interesting discussion.
That's pretty funny :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
This oil sample is the break-in sample, and it doesn't look bad to me. The samples that really matter are the ones that follow. The numbers will probably improve.

I use one of the Blackstone extraction pumps and draw the sample from the dipstick tube - clean and simple. I have my shop do the oil change - they take care of the used oil, not me!

chuckg57

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Goldwing Trike, 2021 F-150 XLT 3.5EB
Oil change procedure

Here's a link to the Blackstone page that describes in great detail how to properly change your own oil and obtain an oil sample in the process. It should initiate an interesting discussion.
Is there another way to change the oil?

JohngaltinOC

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 lariat EB
Occupation
Finance
Is there another way to change the oil?
Well sure, you could wing it with trial & error, but I suggest you follow the professional instructions here. I mean it was found on the internet. It doesn't get more authoritative than that.

Sponsored

Louis

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.enormis.net
Vehicles
21 F150 Crew 3.5 Lariat Sport 502a 6.5bed FX4
Occupation
Biz Owner
I
Considering the fuel dilution after 7k miles, I don't think I'd run oil in these trucks to 7,500-10k miles.
I would agree.
But, Does this report say the fuel in the oil is within spec? See attached

Ford F-150 Oil Analysis at 7k miles (EcoBoost V6) Screenshot_20210524-124036_Chrome

Reactions: Doc

Louis

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.enormis.net
Vehicles
21 F150 Crew 3.5 Lariat Sport 502a 6.5bed FX4
Occupation
Biz Owner
Honda has been having fuel dilution problems in their turbo engines. They blame it on cold startups and changed the injection mapping on problem vehicles. However the issue has persisted and there are lawsuits in the works. The Honda fuel dilution is so bad that the owners can smell the unburned gasoline and have experienced drivability issues.

I feel that the UOA comment about it being "probably operational" are there as a CYA on their end, since while it's within spec, it's really not desirable. Every owner needs to keep in mind that the recommended service intervals are there to make the truck last the warranty period. If you want to give your truck the best opportunity to last a long time trouble free, exceeding the requirements will help and if you look in the back of the manual, they have separate, fixed intervals for trucks used in fleets, towing, high performance driving and extended idle times. I would consider any turbo application high performance and if you change your oil again in 5K miles, I would be very interested in the results.

I'm glad to see this here, since it's quantitative data and not internet speculation. Used oil analysis is a pretty well proven tool and has helped greatly to inform the extended oil change intervals in modern vehicles. I am currently at 750 miles and trying to decide when to do my first oil service, even though I have a 5.0, I think this helps me with holding off past 1,000 miles, which was what I was planning on.
You are very correct about the Honda issues. In fact my managers mother had to have her brand new Honda CRV flatbed to the dealership. The dealership asked if it had an aftermarket remote start in it. It did not! They always like to point the finger. The technician is good friends with my manager and said that the Honda engines cannot properly warm up under idle and that they dumped an immense amount of fuel into the cylinders until the engine is properly warmed up. In the meantime when it's cold customers are starting up their engines and letting it run for a half hour or longer which is been very detrimental and according to that Honda technician, that has been the problem mainly up north. Honda is apparently not experiencing a problem in warmer climates.

I feel pretty confident that with the shutters on my front of my 21 F-150 and the fact that we're on a third , I think, generation motor that Ford has figured out a majority of Turbo related issues. But I do agree with most of you and I will be doing frequent oil changes. As boosted engines are definitely going to be more detrimental to the oil in my crankcase

But I'm also a geek and I will be using either Pennzoil full synthetic or Amsoil signature. I used full synthetic in my 2014 EcoBoost and knock on wood I only had to replace a leaking vacuum pump on the passenger rear of the motor.

Sorry TMI probably. :)

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I

I would agree.
But, Does this report say the fuel in the oil is within spec? See attached

Screenshot_20210524-124036_Chrome.jpg
This is only one truck, so I'm not sure the fuel dilution is representative of them all. But whether it is in our out of spec, 1.8% is a lot of fuel to have in your oil.

OP
OP
Twilighthan

Twilighthan

First Name
Twilight
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
This is only one truck, so I'm not sure the fuel dilution is representative of them all. But whether it is in our out of spec, 1.8% is a lot of fuel to have in your oil.
im sure I ts their generic tolerance as industry. In my Mercedes which I used to change every 10k, I show less than 0.5. It’s to low to pinpoint. So 1.8% is a lot to me. In another report, they couldn’t detect any at all.

Timsvtgen1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Bronco Spt BL , '21 Tremor Ordered
These ecoboosts are definitely known for that level of fuel dilution. In the three 3.5’s that I had that number sounds about right as it lines up with my UOA’s. I dont ever let my ecoboost go past 5000k between changes but that’s me.

Sponsored

jmacd

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 HDPP, Stone Gray
I really enjoyed the Blackstone “oil change procedure”. As a former service worker, mechanic and eventually a fleet manager, I’ve personally done all of it! LOL! I’ve just hit 3,800miles on my 2021 3.5L and plan on the first O/C at 5,000 miles. My Blackstone bottle is ready to go and and I will go ahead and pay for the TBN analysis which I believe is really more important indicator of oil condition.

mwf5888

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost FX4 & 2024 Escape Platinum
Occupation
Instructional Designer
I just did my first oil change at 3,500 and plan to go with 5k intervals from now on.

I saw something about this some time back but in looking at your report I realized the company is only 12 minutes from my house so I will forgo the mail and drop it off. Born and raised here and didn't know they were in town.

JohngaltinOC

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 lariat EB
Occupation
Finance
I really enjoyed the Blackstone “oil change procedure”. As a former service worker, mechanic and eventually a fleet manager, I’ve personally done all of it! LOL! I’ve just hit 3,800miles on my 2021 3.5L and plan on the first O/C at 5,000 miles. My Blackstone bottle is ready to go and and I will go ahead and pay for the TBN analysis which I believe is really more important indicator of oil condition.
Well heck, I just took my sample to the mailbox TODAY (lol), but checked the box no for TBN analysis. What have I done? Can you share the short version of why it's important for us noobs?

BlackCloud

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost
Occupation
Retired
Well heck, I just took my sample to the mailbox TODAY (lol), but checked the box no for TBN analysis. What have I done? Can you share the short version of why it's important for us noobs?
From the Blackstone web site: "Get a TBN with your standard analysis. TBN stands for Total Base Number and measures the amount of active additive present in the oil. It’s a good test if you want to run your oil longer than you normally do. The TBN is only for engine oil – not transmissions or gear oils."

It only adds $10 to the cost. Friendly people there. I'm sure you could just call them to change your request. (260) 744-2380

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Been driving Ecoboosts for now 3 trucks in a row. Blackstone UOA each of them, but not always religiously.

But have been on the Ecoboost forum for years and that prompts me for 2 comments.

1. These trucks torture the oil if you are using it for short trips or daily commutes. They run really rich on coldstart and fuel dilution is a natural result. But once the motor reaches full operating temperature (for the oil) it will burn that fuel off. The Blackstone report will verify this between 2 trucks with opposing normal use. Longer drive times VS shorter.

2. If you have no choice but to use the truck for shorter trips, then it's imperative to shorten your oil change interval in response.

I know the first question is how long is long? :)

10 mile commutes are short. It's just not enough time running good and hot to burn fuel dilution off. Then the truck sits 8 hours before you drive home and you aren't starting with clean oil to begin with.

It's a lousy scenario for a long healthy lifespan on one of these trucks.
Sponsored