Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ram 1500 Diesel, 2021 F150 Lariat 3.5L 6.7ft
I did some reading and it looks like much idling time causes fuel to mix in. I had 4 days of 12 hour idling time each day to generate power for our electrical generator as there was no sun during our 5 days of no electricity and no water in Texas to charge our GoalZero generator via the alternator at 600watts.
Exactly why I did NOT consider the generator/ pro power stuff. For the cost of the option you can go buy a nice Honda inverter generator with the proper sized engine/power ratio.
while it’s a neat option, just silly to put the hours on the large truck engine. Not to mention the wasted fuel!
Sponsored

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Not the same as with the Honda generator you need to haul around a gas can and worry about it getting stolen. The truck "generator" runs off the fuel tank and nothing to steal other than the entire truck.

Oil analysis is a waste of money with the motor oils introduced after 2017 for the new engines. Better to follow the manufacturers' guidelines for oil changes and the type of oil and weight of oil to use. And don't think for a minute that spending twice as much for Amsoil is going to provide more protection for the engine as it won't and with diesel engines the Amsoil has one of the worst additive mixes of any motor oil being sold.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I have lived in an RV (home base) for just short of 7 years. And I travel in yet another RV(s) and can be gone for weeks/months. I went through the typical generator acquisition trials that eventually ended up with a generator that could actually run a 30Amp RV quietly (considered quiet until the Powerboost).

A quality generator/inverter of that size is 150lbs (or more) without fuel. And then the fuel cans are additional weight. As I approached my mid 60's, the effort of getting that beast in/out of the truck wasn't casual. :)

The Powerboost changed everything in that respect. So much so that I even consider the Payload hit between this truck and my previous Ecoboost F150 as a wash. It's literally ~225lbs, but I don't use up that 250lbs with the portable gen.

I'm the bullseye target for the Powerboost.
I don't tow that heavy, I don't have reservations (no itinerary other than chasing sunsets), and I'm able to work from just about anywhere. After more than 1½ years of owning one, I'm still fascinated daily.

SuperRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Lariat 502A
Not the same as with the Honda generator you need to haul around a gas can and worry about it getting stolen. The truck "generator" runs off the fuel tank and nothing to steal other than the entire truck.

Oil analysis is a waste of money with the motor oils introduced after 2017 for the new engines. Better to follow the manufacturers' guidelines for oil changes and the type of oil and weight of oil to use. And don't think for a minute that spending twice as much for Amsoil is going to provide more protection for the engine as it won't and with diesel engines the Amsoil has one of the worst additive mixes of any motor oil being sold.
Worst additive packages out there? It’s regularly rated/tests as the or one of the top oils alongside Penzoil Ultra Platinum, Mobil 1 EP, Redline, and other higher end oils. I get it that it’s expensive and probably not a good value but it’s not bad oil by any means.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Oil analysis is worthless for the motor oil used in gas engines since the changes in 2017. The test companies are happy to take your money and provide readings that do not relate to actual engine wear or motor oil life.

Sponsored

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Oil analysis is worthless for the motor oil used in gas engines since the changes in 2017. The test companies are happy to take your money and provide readings that do not relate to actual engine wear or motor oil life.
Can you at least share some kind of clue as to why this might be? All I can see is that SN Plus API standard came out at that time.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm sure that there's some valid reason for such a claim, but a Blackstone oil analysis history for an Ecoboost/Powerboost truck can be a good way to monitor for consistency, or a change in consistency.

It's also a decent way to judge if your typical driving habits are leading to fuel dilution levels that might suggest a shorter oil change interval, or an intentional driving effort to negate the fuel dilution.

It's simply what it's called. An analysis.
I personally enjoy knowing what is in the oil when I drain it. :)

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
I'm sure that there's some valid reason for such a claim, but a Blackstone oil analysis history for an Ecoboost/Powerboost truck can be a good way to monitor for consistency, or a change in consistency.

It's also a decent way to judge if your typical driving habits are leading to fuel dilution levels that might suggest a shorter oil change interval, or an intentional driving effort to negate the fuel dilution.

Not sure if there are any labs up here but I would enjoy knowing the relationship between ‘getting on the go-juice pedal’ and ‘junk in my sump’

if I ever rebuild my 350 olds I will absolutely do analysis even if it’s cross boarder. I’d like to go flat top high comp pistons and sexy new-age ring pack.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Blackstone not available for you?

I drained the factory fill on my new 2022 at 1500 miles.
Predictably it was way above "average" in silicone, and copper was elevated as well. The viscosity was closer to 5W-20 too.

Third sample has the truck now well within "normal" and fuel dilution below .05%
So now I have a decent baseline established for future comparison. If the next sample is consistent with the last, I'll probably switch to every other oil change.

Again, it's another tool. Similar to the PIDs I monitor judiciously. Just watching for anything to suddenly change.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT

While mine didn't have any issues with fuel dilution, Blackstone analysis was able to prove to Ford that there were issues with injectors on multiple 2.3 Ecos used in the Ranger. There were quite a number of owners on the Ranger5G forums that were able to get injectors replaced as well as a few got new engines under warranty out of it. Without the analysis to prove excessive fuel dilution issues it is likely that Ford would not have done much of anything about it for most of them.

Like @Snakebitten said it can be a useful tool to determine if your oil change interval needs to be adjusted based on your driving environment. If you want to go that route that is. Growing up, my dad used to own a hotshot delivery business and like him I always went with changing the oil at 3K miles if more than 60% of those miles were stop/go and 5K is it was mostly highway. To date in all the 30+ years of driving following that practice I have done I have never had oil related engine failures or fuel dilution issues.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Snakebitten Is the F150 towed behind your RV?
I don't have any RV that has a motor. :)

The F150's that I have owned have always been the horse pulling the cart. Admittedly, none of my carts are a tough tow for an Ecoboost F150.

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 4WD 301A 3.5L w/ HDPP
Occupation
retired
My second analysis from January. Mostly looking to validate the oil life monitor in terms of service intervals. Over a thousand miles of towing on this sample. Fuel dilution is fine.
Does it validate the oil life monitor?

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
On another vehicle I decided to let the oil analysis tell me when to change the oil. As a result I was taking samples every 3,000 miles. I got out to 21,000 miles between oil changes this way. We-ell-ll, I found I couldn't stand that many miles between changes and set 15,000 miles as the change point. The above taking of samples every 3,000 miles and changing when analysis says to is not out of line with industry standards and usage, but... you know...
Sponsored